16 replies to this topic

#1 T-1

T-1

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:50 PM

How do they work? What makes the different from human explosives? In UFO it just said "A more powerful grenade" for the alien grenade description. Now I think it'd be cool if you said that it somehow plasmafies/ionizes/whatever the air around it and it's a "plasma grenade", 'cause then you'd have a great excuse for some cool looking explosion graphics, instead of the normal thing.

#2 Qonfused

Qonfused

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:04 PM

I think it uses Xenium, and flings plasma all over the place.
My doctor says that I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therfore exused from saving Universes.

#3 Guest_alex the greater_*

Guest_alex the greater_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:08 PM

or more likely it uses antimater a microscopic amount of anitmater is about 5 times as powerful than a hand grenade

#4 54x

54x

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:44 AM

I'd imagine it would be some xenium along with a fuse, basically. I'd find it kinda hard to romanticise that :P

#5 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 06:13 AM

Just get one or two atoms of antimatter, and beleive me you'll get your blaster bomb :D
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#6 T-1

T-1

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

OK so here's my theory based on your responses:

Blaster Bomb = Antimatter+matter
Alien Grenade = Plasma Grenade

#7 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, looks about right, but it's all full of technobabble in-game anyway...
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#8 T-1

T-1

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:52 PM

Wait, aren't these things supposed to have xenocide names? Antimatter bomb sounds cooler than blaster bomb IMHO.

#9 Guest_alex the greater_*

Guest_alex the greater_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2004 - 03:25 PM

no alien grenade and BBs bolth use antmatter

#10 sir_schwick

sir_schwick

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:07 PM

I thought the aliens should have had some demolition quality explosives too.

Obliterator = 700 damage(XCOM 1 terms) 10 square radius, heavy as heck

#11 Qonfused

Qonfused

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 04:36 PM

you should eventualy get some kind of explosives to blow open a holle in the ufo, so that you wont have to go through that death trap of a door all the time.
My doctor says that I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therfore exused from saving Universes.

#12 sir_schwick

sir_schwick

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:36 PM

Breaching charges would be more useful then heavy explosive.

#13 Snakeman

Snakeman

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 12:09 PM

I'm not completely sure on the jargon used, but doesn't the military use "shaped charges" for breaching doors and the like?

Maybe I've seen too many military movies that got it wrong?

Heh, anyway I've seen them use bits of plastic explosive on locks but I don't know any of the technical names of all the forms of explosives seen relating to the activity. All I know is they seem to act with varying degrees of intensity (destructive power if not outright noise factor).

Edited by Snakeman, 05 December 2004 - 12:10 PM.

#14 sir_schwick

sir_schwick

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:11 PM

Exactly, only trained personnel could use shaped charges for a variety of purposes.

#15 frozenezorf

frozenezorf

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:24 AM

Exactly, only trained personnel could use shaped charges for a variety of purposes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't see any reason why untrained personel couldn't use shaped charges... Wouldn't it be like: Shape it, place it, rig it, detonate it?
Though an untrained person would proabably use more TU's doing that, and the resulting explosion might be 'a bit' bigger than what it was supposed to be?

#16 MirariNefas

MirariNefas

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

you should eventualy get some kind of explosives to blow open a holle in the ufo, so that you wont have to go through that death trap of a door all the time.

Actually, I'd rather suspect that would come first, not after. How could a soldier on his first encounter with a UFO be able to operate the door? The alien threat is remarkably unsophisticated if it just uses a handle and a latch. At first, our options would just be a blowtorch or packing enough explosives in one place to make a hole.

#17 SpaceBoy2000

SpaceBoy2000

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:08 AM

Well, explosives preshaped to blow a hole through a wall would be, IMO, a lot more useful than a blob of explosives that makes big explosions. That said, it should take more time to make/research and probably would require the person using the explosive to place it right on the wall. Heck, doesn't have to be explosives, just something to make a hole in the wall. Burst of plasma, special catalyst, big batch of thermite, whatever. Just having an explosive like that would be really helpful...

That said, it could make it too easy. Perhaps it takes longer than a move to cut through, so the aliens can mount some sort of resistance?