XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Sound On The Dos Cd Version

Guest Thalgar

Guest Thalgar

Well, I have DOSBOX 6.2 and the DOS CD version of XCOM:UD. I can get it to play from the CD just fine, but I can't get the sound. When I run the sound setup for XCOM, it lets me set the base port (220) and the IRQ (1), but not the DMA. I made the changes to the dosbox.cfg as recommended in an earlier post, but still no luck. I'm running an SBLive 5.1 on an Athlon 2.8 with 1 GB ram and XP Professional. Any suggestions?

:huh?:

Well, I have DOSBOX 6.2 and the DOS CD version of XCOM:UD.  I can get it to play from the CD just fine, but I can't get the sound.  When I run the sound setup for XCOM, it lets me set the base port (220) and the IRQ (1), but not the DMA.  I made the changes to the dosbox.cfg as recommended in an earlier post, but still no luck.  I'm running an SBLive 5.1 on an Athlon 2.8 with 1 GB ram and XP Professional.  Any suggestions?

If you run it directly from the CD, I don't think it'll be able to save the changes you made in the setup, you'll have to install it first.

Guest thalgar
Well, I have DOSBOX 6.2 and the DOS CD version of XCOM:UD.  I can get it to play from the CD just fine, but I can't get the sound.  When I run the sound setup for XCOM, it lets me set the base port (220) and the IRQ (1), but not the DMA.  I made the changes to the dosbox.cfg as recommended in an earlier post, but still no luck.  I'm running an SBLive 5.1 on an Athlon 2.8 with 1 GB ram and XP Professional.  Any suggestions?

If you run it directly from the CD, I don't think it'll be able to save the changes you made in the setup, you'll have to install it first.

I ran the install program, which supposedly installed a few files needed to run the program. There wasn't an option to install the whole program. When I tried copying the entire contents from the CD to my hard drive and run it from there, the batch file that ran the program didn't work. The cd version requires typing "ufocd" to run it. There is no "xcom.exe" file. any fixes for this?

Copying all the filles off the cd to the hard drive will work. You just need to do a few more tweaks to get things right.

If you open ufocd.bat with a text editor, you'll find that it will have a line that will look something like

ufo d:\

With d:\ being replaced with whatever drive your cd-rom is assigned to.

It might not be ufo.bat, exactly, but instead of running ufocd.bat, run the file that it points to instead so that it'll look for the game files in the current directory. Or, you can just edit out the d:\ (or whatever) and save the file and keep using ufocd.bat.

- NKF

Guest Thalgar
Copying all the filles off the cd to the hard drive will work. You just need to do a few more tweaks to get things right.

If you open ufocd.bat with a text editor, you'll find that it will have a line that will look something like

ufo d:\ 

With d:\ being replaced with whatever drive your cd-rom is assigned to.

It might not be ufo.bat, exactly, but instead of running ufocd.bat, run the file that it points to instead so that it'll look for the game files in the current directory. Or, you can just edit out the d:\ (or whatever) and save the file and keep using ufocd.bat.

- NKF

While doing what you told me, I found the solution. When I copied over the batch files to my hard drive, I had to designate them as read only, otherwise the text in them would erase when I tried to run the game. Now it runs fine Thanks for the help.

:master: