XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Hidden Weapons?

We need to have hidden weapons you can only find at certain missions. They would be non reaserachable, non-buyable and you only have one. Like in apocolypse(I know they weren't [i]Hidden[/i] but they were bugs they forgot to take out. You could find special one time weapons at certain building missions. But anyway we could have just a simple little hidden weapon like a shotgun or a desert eagle or something, that just used regular easy to find ammo, but the power would be higher.

Doing this not only would make it fun for the player to look for more weapons, but would also increase replayiblity.

good idea, could be expanded to all kinds of items, some useful, some just interesting.

heres one a small ball that when its researched the science dude says "it seems to be a bomb, but of what nature we do not know. also it seems to be alot heavier than it should be"

if you use it, it destroys half the level, hehe

Hey! That'd be a great solution to the artillery problem! Those last few reaction-shooting aliens? Those 3 cryssalids coming up on the commander? May as well see what that wierd doomball does... :devilburn:

I loved it in Fallout when you got the Red Ryder BB gun. It wouldn't be hard to implement, either, just throw a few random weapons around. Your commander could have sole ownership of the modified heavy plasma with attached alien grenade launcher. That would rock!

[quote name='mikker' date='Jun 22 2003, 06:37 PM']:devillaugh:

what about cheats?????? will we have cheats in xenocide?[/quote]
The simple answer is no. Though because the project is open source it probably wouldn't be long beofre someone hacks the prog and enables cheats.

[quote name='dragon0085' date='Jun 20 2003, 07:57 PM']Like in apocolypse(I know they weren't [i]Hidden[/i]  but they were bugs they forgot to take out.[/quote]
I have never heard about any "bonus weapons" in apocalypse!?? What were they like?

Anyway it would be cool but a little hard to explain why some civilian has a supercannon that is unresearchable if x-com scientists can study and learn even alien tech!

C'mon, you gotta have cheat codes!

Some of us working stiffs need them just to get to the end of the game before the dog dies, our spouses leave, we get fired, etc because we're spending so much time just getting past that one last mission... I mean, sure it spoils some of the surprise, but if I'm the player, shouldn't I be able to if I need/want to? Sometimes, you just gotta know how it ends but you just don't have the skills or time resources. It's a bigger disappointment to have to just give it up (or give up because you're frustrated).

I know it can disrupt the purity of the game, but sometimes players just need to do it. When I was 16 I could spend all night sucking down Mountain Dews and Doritos playing games, but nowadays there's only so much time, ya know?

Hidden Items/weapons:

Frying pan - a household frying pan, may not look like much but can stun after several blows however, effectiveness against aliens is unknown

Kitchen knife - a household kitchen knife, usually used for chopping food, can be used to stab, effectiveness agains aliens is unknown.

BB gun - Can be used to attract an aliens attention and lower bravery

Torch - Used to see in the dark, lights up darkened areas in front of a unit

Egyptian artifact - a unusual artifact found in the desert, it is extremely rare and valuble, has a picture of what resembles a snakeman carved on the back.

:-p

:happybanana:

Seriously if there are hidden weapons then as darkon says they need to be a realistic item used in a novel way. stuffing toothpaste in a sectoids nostril means he/she/it cannot breath and passes out.

Seems a bit slap stick like off dumb and dumber. Still there is room for humour. Remeber when the aliens panics and shoots himself? His buddies? Or better still an exploding cyber disk amoungst a crowd of his mates?

haha, LOL SILLY PEOPLE. i think a samuri sword would be the coolest thing ever. ok here is how its worked. you find one in some guys bedroom.... once its equipted if you get shot at it has a chance of deflecting the shot (strong sword :D) this wouldnt require animation either. just it would hit the guy and not do any damage ( like it already does ^_^ ) they would have to animate the slicing though, and no the bullets would not ricashay and hit other things... oh, and its very very powerful, like maybe one or two hit slash kill on mutants? oh, and the blocking skill would go up with the soldiers accuracy and reactions ( accuracy for hand eye coordination and reactions for blocking some sort of projectile thats coming at you very fast)

• 3 weeks later...
Well first I'll tell you about how they messes up in apoc. On the back of the box they show various weapons one is a "Trekker" (I don't remember how i knew the name but I know that was it) and it shot a smoke cloud out. But for ones I have found, the best way is to get marsec taken over by aliens. Then go raid them. Check the map for items and go pick them up. I have found a teleporter, personal teleporter, psi shield, and something else. But man was it cool knowing there were more weapons out there somewhere.

Any way for putting in weapons, why wouldn't a civilian house have a gun in it? Just have it rare, where it is in the corner or something. Putting in "slapstick" weapons is both a blessing and a curse. As in fallout finding those weapons was not only funny but helped us remember the game. I rememer the hidden weapons more then most of the game! But don't go too lame like maybe go as far as a baseball bat or a sword if you are in japan. Why not make special cool weapons as well where there is a laser rifle/gernade launcher just sitting during a crash site (but only once). Who needs an explanation for that, as long as it is cool.

The bonus items are a good idea as well. They could have uses, or just be more tidbits into the story.

kinda like the egyptian artifact idea...
random encounter on base building, while digging foundation in certain location you discover a buried *item name* maybe even and alien ship... who knows possiblities are limitless

How about a chainsaw? Here's my description: A handy woodcutting implement, whos use on animals was made popular by such cult classics as Rayson X, Dallas Chainsaw Massacre, among others. Effectiveness against extraterrestials is unknown, but potentially very damaging. Stats: Damage= 80?, Weight=15lb, Size=same as rocket launcher, blade legnth= 5 feet.

You could find it in some of those rural areas that the aliens are so fond of landing in.

Guest Jim69
I got an idea. Well, when u sell a certain weapon, say laser rifle, some other scientists get hold of it. They are not as good/experienced as X-COM ones and try to make a bodge of it. Could have some dodgy mixes, laser rifles that have nade launchers on bottom. Very rare, worth almost nothing, and non researchable. Don't need 2 say why they are non-researchable as they are a type of easter egg, and most won't find em.

Dallas Chainsaw Masacre=Texas Chainsaw Masacre :D

Anyone remember the scene in the movie Pulp Fiction, where Bruce Willis escapes the sodomites and is looking for a weapon? So your soldier runs out of ammo and there's still a chryssallid in sight. You run into the gun store you're in front of, and there are various weapons on the counter you can use: hunting rifle, crossbow, chainsaw, sword, etc. You get to use it during the mission (and a possible expansion when civs do more than run in v1+), but you don't keep them between missions. Perhaps a police station would have a gun cabinet, a firehouse could have fire axes, butcher shop has a cleaver, crack house has automatic rifles... :devillaugh:

"The aliens walk into the underground lab and see John Cleese, with some unknown trinket in his hand, and piles of wierd objects sitting around him. Pierce Brosnon looks at the aliens and simply smiles..." :D

it would balance better if hidden weapons had a higher "critical error", guns misfire and kill your guy, swords deflect and cut your leg off, chains on chainsaws come off and rip your face off, explosives blow up in your hand, bubble gum turns your teeth black :wink:

I don't think I'll be using them that much if they have more chance of taking out your own men than the alien you targeted..... oh well, maybe a rookie can try them out, just for laughs :D Edited by j'ordos

I don't know, is seems like a good way to balance them, and really if your guy has powered armor on then do you think he will feel it? Or could a sword even cut through his armor? (Nukes, Doomballs, blaster bomb look alikes, etc need not apply.) :explode:

does this mean if you land at a city that has a trekkie livin near bye you can find klingon stuff? what about star wars.. i think it would be funny to see a guy running around with a plastic flashlight, lightsaber ^_^

• 1 year later...
No cheats? What? I've programmed very simple games before, and cheats are pretty much the most effective way for a programmer to quickly test certain features (which is why some cheats appear totally useless to some end-users). And anyway, why do people that don't use cheats care if a game has cheats or not? You're not REQUIRED to use them, and it's not like you even know how to use them, unless you go searching for them on the internet...

On the subject of unique weapons:
You could find them inside the UFOs also.
You could also get at them by doing some secret sequence of things during a mission or get an insanely high score (like how you get the M4 assault rifle in hitman 2 if you complete 5 consective missions with a silent assassin rating.).

[quote name='GDD' date='Aug 13 2004, 05:30 AM']what about something daft like you MC a person and find out that he's a hitman...

then he goes around shooting aliens with an mp5 :D
[right][post="90373"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Far, and I mean FAR too unlikely to even remotely think about it... You don't even have a chance in a million on this one...
Well, actually, having a simple civilian armed might not be so rare in the US or in any country at war, but then again, any sane individual would turn tail and run the moment he sees a real alien...

It would be hella cool to see a civi Sitting in his room shooting at anything that comes in. I mean If you were a guy and aliens are running around and you have a gun, Id use it. Then again It could hurt x-com. Power armor isnt the friendlyest looking thing In the world. So he might shoot at your guys. Also on the topic of butcher knifes and such, It would be fun to see susie home maker stab anything that walks into her house.

• 5 months later...
"Alien Kibble" Throw it and any alien that sees it has to walk over and pick it up. Imagine the fun with one box of this and a bunch of proximity mines. :devillaugh:

A secret museum crash site or something, where all weapons and armour are confiscated on entry, and everyone, aliens included, has to make do with finding something in the exhibits to pick up, from claymores to crossbows, and winner gets to keep whatever they were equipped with at the end, just for the pleasure of a Braveheart scene on Mars. "They may take our lives, but they shall never take our Elerium!" *Sword wielding Scots wiped out by a blaster bomb.*

Or stun a female civilian running round and check her purse for mace and a taser.
At a Japanese port terror mission, raid one of the whaling ships for a harpoon gun.
In your own base, in the hangar bay, picking up a Plasma Cannon with your power suit - or even better, a fusion missile launcher.
Raid a military base and find a [i]real [/i]sniper rifle, grenade launcher (just load any grenade and shoot :naughty: ) , and a flame thrower....

I can see many people being driven to collect them all just because they're there. They needn't be good. Melee weapons are still short range no matter how potent they are, something like a crossbow would only have an "Aimed" shot function because of its slowness to reload.... And obviously you couldn't actually move whilst holding the Fusion Missile Launcher, but....

They might not even come with any extra ammunition and swiftly live out their usefulness, but the ability to equip everyone in medieval plate armour (10,5,5,7,2 tops :D), swords and shields to charge in and teach that darn brain a lesson with the single (one shot only) flintlock pistol with its 20% accuracy aimed shots can't be underestimated in terms of replay value.

Some could be real helps, like that one of a kind grenade launcher, or a lightsaber (almost tradition to include one of those) that can cut through walls, doors and sectopods in one to two hits, but most are just random fun for perfectionists to try and find every one. For such a comparatively small amount of work for potentially such a big thing, (No object would really need researching or X-net entry, that would ruin the mystery, and models/images needn't be especially detailed either for easter eggs....) this is a fun idea even for serious diehard gamers who are just in it to beat Thanatos with "Hawaiian Shirt" armour and the 1 damage, 1 ammo "elastic band".

And possibly just for kicks items called "Rock" sitting around various maps, find a sling and start shooting people Goliath style. :idea:

Ya, sorry for reviving a thread over six months old, but too much fun to pass up. :P Edited by Sinscale17

• 4 weeks later...
I agree. Its a small amount of work for a great boost of replay value and a little humor. Even if there are no hidden weapons like a flintlock, why wouldn't a police station have a few pistols and riot gear? Or a kitchen have a few knives? This could be a godsend for a squad out of ammo during a long terror mission. Just barracade your men in the ground floor aof a police station and wait for mutants to get into pistol range :)

You know, there are a bunch of weapon ideas in the labs. Some of them would make some very good "easter egg" style weapons. They likely won't be used as official weapons in the game, but would make for great secrets. I know I suggested a form of grav gun, which can be used to stun, push units around and affect alien stats. And, a grenade based on the alien entertainment, which adversely affects PSI combat and psi-based characters on the battlefield.

[quote name='Mustang' date='Jun 23 2003, 08:49 PM']great idea!Maybe you could find some certain weapons in civilian houses?
[right][post="24387"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

OOO, OOO! LIKE AN OLD SHOTGUN WITH A PITCHFORK STRAPED TO IT!!!!!
:hmmm: Edited by I AM ROBOT

i would think easter egg guns would be alot more inside jokes... like a golden toilet on a mars base perhaps?

or a cow blasterbomb ammo...
im sure there has been alot of inside jokes we just have to convert them into weapons

possobly have cmdr tommy's super armor somewhere?

possobly stuff like a klingon batleth or a phaser?

lighsabers are a must...

and possobly little alien dolls in civian houses... they would be small but if you pay close attention you could find one...

Guest Azrael
[quote name='Shinzon' date='Mar 3 2005, 09:05 PM']i would think easter egg guns would be alot more inside jokes... like a golden toilet on a mars base perhaps?

or a cow blasterbomb ammo...
im sure there has been alot of inside jokes we just have to convert them into weapons

possobly have cmdr tommy's super armor somewhere?

possobly stuff like a klingon batleth or a phaser?

lighsabers are a must...

and possobly little alien dolls in civian houses... they would be small but if you pay close attention you could find one...
[right][post="112949"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
The :master: :master: [color="orange"]GOLDEN TOILET[/color] :master: :master: [b]has[/b] to be in the X-Corps Base!

but the aliens need to experience the power of the golden toilet as well... we cannot with hold this right from them... :P

oo I love stargate ^^ mabe sg royal guard armor too? ^^ those things look damn cool

The problem with Goa'uld technology in SG-1 is that most of it is designed to terrorize rather than to be an effective killing weapon. The zat is a much more effective weapon than the staff weapon, because it's lighter, much more accurate, and has a much faster fire rate. Also, it is more likely to prevent someone from fighting back after the first shot, because it doesn't matter where you shoot someone with it. A staff weapon may not kill someone even if you shoot them in the chest. Unless someone is used togetting shot with a zat (or has a LOT of endurance), he'll go down after the first shot.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Red Stone' date='Mar 12 2005, 03:12 PM']Holy Hand Grenades. Maybe even a few unique random encounters, Fallout-style. =p
[right][post="113858"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yes, plus every time a Holy Handgrenade is used, the soldier has to stop and say the prayer aloud verbatim before chucking it at the bunny rabbit er...The Muton in bunny suited garb I should say.

Best call it something else and reword the prayer though or you'll run into pesky copyright issues :)

• 2 months later...
I like the idea of random weapons and other goodes. As somebody said, this would increase replayability very much.

It could also make a routine small ufo crash site cleanup an experience because you would know that you could found something very valuable and rare from the ground or from the ship wreckage.

I like also like the idea that some of these items are just something weird and the scientists would tell a creative text from them. You could also find some late-game stuff, like a blaster launcher from the ship wreckage (without ammo) and the scientist would not know what it is for a long time (the research status would show "impossible" or "black magic" or something ;) Just like in diablo and fallout =)

- Garo

I don't think there should be hidden weapons, it would be pointless after you have the 1337 assault rifle of d00m. Maybe for easter eggs though
I can picture
"Wow! I found the Micah Blaster Launcher!"