Photo

Mutons, Stupid Or Smart?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Should, or should not, the Mutons be stupid? (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Should, or should not, the Mutons be stupid?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 02:44 PM

I tought that this dilemma should be desided by a "vote..."

Personally I think that the Mutons should at the very least be clever and cunning warriors...

What do you think? Emphasize(sp?)!
-Aosar
-------------------------
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#2 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 02:47 PM

I believe they should be good at one thing, and one thing alone: combat. Nothing more, nothing less...
(They may favor frontal assaults over sneaky attacks in the rear, but at least they should be good at what they do)
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#3 Anglachel

Anglachel

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 10:04 PM

I figure they would be like Antonio Banderaz (sp?) in The Mask of Zorro when he was asked if he knew how to use a sword.
"Of course, pointy end goes into the other man."

They might not know the workings of plasma, but something like a hunters instinct is needed.

#4 miceless

miceless

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:53 AM

I would not say they are geniuses (except in battle) but I would not say they are extremely stupid. You cant really be a good soldier unless you have at least decent intelligence.
"If it moves - kill it. If it doesn't move - kill it anyway, it might move later."

#5 Guest_Jim69_*

Guest_Jim69_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:39 AM

Good at killing, but otherwise stupid. They shouldn't be the greatest tactitions in the world, but they shouldn't just charge at u either.

#6 Judge_Deadd

Judge_Deadd

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 06:08 AM

Wise! Intellignet!
"This is why I love subtle humour, it's as dirty or as clean as the reader's own mind." -- Sinscale17

"Just imagine if you were really the XCOM commander. You'd build defence modules like there was no tomorrow. Because if you didn't, there really would be no tomorrow!" -- Aiki-Knight

#7 demich

demich

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 06:16 AM

They are very good tacticians - they are clever, they prefer "war" knowledge instead of academic knowledge. In this case they are in oposite to etherals. They don't know how blaster luncher works but know how to use it with more devastating effect

#8 Raven Squad

Raven Squad

Sound Department

• Xenocide Sound Department
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:47 AM

Aosar LOL :D . U just couldnt leave it be. IMO They are still stupid.
:alienmad:
:stupid:

Edited by Raven Squad, 05 August 2003 - 07:53 AM.

Yep, thats me who is posting here...

#9 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:01 AM

Aosar LOL. U just couldnt leave it be. IMO They are still stupid.

Yeah, I never could and I never will. I'll stop only when I'm dead, but probably not even then... And if I am right you voted; "no?" Ha HA HAR! Thus I succeeded in a great psychological trick, by woting "yes" instead of "no" wich is what I was running for(okay, I accidentally voted wrong, like it hasn't happened to you... Right?)!
-Aosar
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#10 Raven Squad

Raven Squad

Sound Department

• Xenocide Sound Department
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:05 AM

I actually voted the third option, but dont tell anyone :)

Edited by Raven Squad, 05 August 2003 - 10:06 AM.

Yep, thats me who is posting here...

#11 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:39 AM

TIMMY!

So currently Mutons are bad donkey warriors that rule the battle field, eh?
-Aosar
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#12 Cpt. Boxershorts

Cpt. Boxershorts

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 11:55 AM

I always saw as sort of like the Kzin (See Larry Niven's Known Space books). Reasonbly bright, but not genius level by any stretch of the imagination. Their main advantages are being big, strong, well armored and more violent than their opponents.

To stick with the Kzin theory of stategy, Mutons start with "scream and leap" as the basic plan (ie: attack on sight), and then fall back to "feint and pounce" (try to distact them, and then charge).

-The captain
"...you're always afraid you'll lose control and wake up some morning with a half-built time machine and a plan to go back in time and pants Hitler."
- A Miracle of Science

Posted Image

#13 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:32 PM

bad donkey warriors

On a strange level that amuses me to no end...

To stick with the Kzin theory of stategy, Mutons start with "scream and leap" as the basic plan (ie: attack on sight), and then fall back to "feint and pounce" (try to distact them, and then charge).

Hmm, personally I'd like to see them use tad bit more advanced tactics though...
-Aosar
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#14 coolp

coolp

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:16 PM

How about the muton's pretty much just charge you, but they can throw your people if they don't have armor. So suddenly your walking along a seemingly empty road in a terror site. You haven't seen any enemies, and you are starting to wonder. You stop being as careful with your troops, and you are just moving them as far as TU allow... Suddenly 3 mutons run out of the shadows, and pick up 3 of your soldiers and throw them at another soldier, effectively killing 3 soldiers and injuring 3 other soldiers...

It would be a whole 'nother ball game if you had to worry about your people getting thrown around, suddenly you would be as careful as with a crystallid...

#15 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 06:16 PM

I voted for the third option. Why? I've always seen the mutons as the embodiment of the ultimate warrior. Strong, fast, wily and will not go down no matter what you throw at them.

I say they'd prefer a direct assault route coupled with a pincer attack. Depending on the circumstances two or three directly charge weapons firing (which should worry any xcom player) and then another attack comes from two more flanking round either side.

By the time the player has dealt with the main assault they'll have two more laying down crossfire on their wounded operatives. Coupled with their high tolerance for taking damage it should be enough for any player :)

#16 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:45 PM

Until the Psi amp starts being used... :)
Actually, Mutons aren't that bad, just douse them with heavy plasma fire and they go down nicely. :)
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#17 Gutter Monkey

Gutter Monkey

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:26 PM

I think it would be cool if Mutons acted smarter if a live Etherial was on the map as well. The origonal game said they acted as foot soldiers for Etherials, and that they had a psicic link that was essental to thier survival and communication, but the gameplay never built on this.

Perhaps Mutons attack head on, but making good use of cover and popout attacks when they are alone, but if there is an Ethierial around they start doing things like flanking moves, setting ambushes, using supression fire, etc.

And while they aren't genuses, they should definately not be treated as idoits.

#18 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 08:02 AM

for 1.0, there will never be any ethereals nearby [spoiler!!!!] unless you are on Cydonia.

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#19 Oscar

Oscar

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 04:39 PM

i agree on that they should know how to handle a gun. I just can't picture myself a muton readin' a book

#20 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 06:41 PM

But can you picture a muton using advanced tactics such as feints and pincer movements against you? :)
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

Posted Image

#21 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 07:33 AM

I think Mutons should be about as smart as the easterlings from Lord of the Rings. The only things a Muton would need to know is fighting, tactics, and fighting.
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#22 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 08:57 AM

The muton would be best used(and we even could put that into some alien research) as your old run o' the mill grunt. Strong, smart enough to understand that if you pull the trigger and point that thing into your enemy it kills him, but not some guy who would stop in the middle of battle to discuss phenomena like plasma or laser. To add to his semi-brutality we could add reports of X-Corps operatives who'd seen the mutons going berzerk and had to retreat when facing their fury.

"And then I just saw Rookie Gomez trying to stun what seemed to us as their commander...the next minute I knew it 10 of those things came out of nowhere and were blasting their guns at us and showing their teeth in menacing way, a way I hadn't seen before. Rookie Gomez was KIA shortly after(in a most gruesome way) and I'd rather have my squad retreat into the Skyranger(which I diligently did) than to have to face that kind of raw fury and lose all my men. Squaddie, sorry...Sergeant Robertson, Rookie Smith and myself were wounded during the retreat. " - Robert Woodrow, Captain, recently awarded the Blood Cross - X-Corps

Edited by Tenebrae, 26 December 2003 - 09:12 AM.

#23 Kamikazee

Kamikazee

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:17 PM

Mutons are Genetically modified right? so their makers would make them smart so they dont get slaughtered in battle, but because they are so strong they dont want them deciding to rebel or anything so they make them pure predatorial instinct rather than intellegence.

#24 Deathskull

Deathskull

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:34 PM

They need to be smart enough to pilot a complex ufo
USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population.
- David Letterman

#25 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:39 PM

And intelligent enough to use advanced tactics. Mutons are supposed to be the ultimate soldier (imo); strong, intelligent, fast, tough to kill, and completely loyal...

Posted Image

#26 Kamikazee

Kamikazee

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:52 PM

if they were intelligent why would they let themselves be used as gruntz without any resistance, wouldn't they be ever so slightly peed off.
maybe they have behaviour control implants, or they are not smart just instinctive, they know that if they sneak up behind u that u dont run but they dont know why.

#27 RustedSoul

RustedSoul

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 477 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:25 AM

well, i would relate their intelligence to that similar of a human soldier. Only that their role is more instinctive/appropriate based on their genetic makeup.

Like an ants nest
queen> worker> soldier

each having the required intelligence to conduct their role in the colony efficiently

#28 ChonkE

ChonkE

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:58 PM

I agree that they would exhibit forms of intelligence relating to martial fields. Soldiering, operation/maintenance of weapons, advanced infantry tactics, combat measures, ect.
As to why they wouldnt exhibit academic intelligence they could be raised in a combat training environment from birth. Much like the Spartans sent their male children to learn the arts of war, conditioning ect. A warrior caste of sorts like Rusted was saying with the hive mentality. Education of science, engineering and other such concepts is "discouraged" or perhaps thought to be menial tasks for such "great" warriors.
Another explanation could be brainwashing/socialization methods used by the aliens to make an unwavering, high motivated soldier out of a Muton. Like Frank Herbert's Dune when Hawat talked about the Fremen; play on their superior physical skills and upbringing, deprive them and show them the perks (More cow meat!) of being a good soldier ect.
The warrior caste system would seem much more logical in my opinion but either *could* be a possible explanation.

#29 Kamikazee

Kamikazee

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:12 AM

ect????
or etc.

#30 Kamikazee

Kamikazee

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:15 AM

Personally i think it would ruin the gameplay to have all the aliens smart. there needs to be variation like uber strong, instinctive killers that cant do maths, and the frail less combat skilled but superdy duper smart boffin etherials.
with the sectoids etc. in the middle.

#31 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 03:28 AM

Well, consider this; the state and norms of a society are what essentially a individual's "intelligence" is formed upon. Humans atleast adjust very well to their enviorment and society. For instance, there is both great difference in the technological "intelligence" with today and a couple centuries ago. And then there is the "sub-cultures" that morph our intelligence as well. For instance, we - computer geeks, nerds, gamers - understand computers much better than say a professional athlete would.

So since the alien overlords have ripped the Mutons out of whatever their "normal" society might have been. They have not been able to adjust into anything else than combat and military life. There for, they are intelligent in combat, but have knowledge of nothing else, wich makes them appear less intelligent that the average human soldier.
-Aosar
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#32 Kamikazee

Kamikazee

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 09:23 AM

Exactly wot I thought

#33 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• 1,028 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:31 PM

Intelligence as ability to adapt to societal norms is an interesting postulation, but how are the mutons unlike our own military? The military is a very strict, stringeant culture where divergence is punished harshly.

If anything, the focus on military conquest would necessarily produce a certain proficiency at it. Moreover, they are at least rudimentarily capable of piloting a spacecraft and operating various technological devices and weapons. If anything, I think that the mutons would be fit for the role for which they were developed for (in terms of augmentation, development and control) and they would be the best species out of all of the species in their hegemony at what they do.

Whether or not the mutons succeed in intelligence tests is a moot point. You have to consider their willingness to participate in experiments. Since they are violent, and since they die without a psychic link, I doubt they would be up for the challenge. At best the data gathered would be incomplete. 'Alien-like' intelligent species on planet earth are still a mystery to us. What is the intelligence of a Dolphin or an elephant? Both have very complex cultures and at least rudimentary forms of language... but their morphology is so different that it would be impossible to impose a human measure of intelligence on them with the hopes gathering meaningful data.

I think that there should be mention of their cunningness in battle and ability to perform complex tactical operations and such, and play up the non-humanness, violence and aggressiveness of the alien... for instance, their absolute and violent contempt for their confinement and the fact that they try to attack any of their captors who present the slightest opportunity until the moment of their death... but mentioning whether they are smart or stupid is explaining too much for a number of reasons.

Here I go an angry brother gonna make his move
But can I buck him in the city so I never lose?
See I'm a get him in the crowd with a couple heavies
And lay the barrel to the ground, hold the gat steady
And now I'm ready for my adversary, talk is cheap
I'm looking for a way to make a plan gonna keep it neat
So don't be telling me to get the non-violent spirit
'cause when I'm violent is the only time the devils hear it
'cause all I want to see is m****f***ing brains hanging

Posted Image

#34 MagicAndy

MagicAndy

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 08:53 PM

being clever in battle is completely different to being adept at battle.

mutons should be fairly stupid but not completley dumb, nor should they have exellent battle inteligence and tactics. Rather, speed, strength, skill with weapons and being-extremely-hard, are their natural advantages.

They'll run straight at ya in a battle, because they can.

#35 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 12:04 PM

I would rather that they know everything about advanced tactics, but don't know how to do anything not related to combat.

Posted Image

#36 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 12:14 PM

I can see what you mean MagicAndy, being a tactical master needs a lot of brains so it's kinda weird that they would be completely stupid in everything else. And you need common sense in battle too!

But I still have to agree with facehugger, it's still cooler that they are masters of the battlefield but otherwise idiots.
There's no need for a sig..

#37 Kamikazee

Kamikazee

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:48 PM

I reckon everybody is agreeing on this one, it may be 'inpolitically' correct to think of some aliens being dumb @rses but thats how the first game portrayed them and thats what every one seems to want.
So we are in agreement, they are intelligent killers, highly insinctorial and tacticful while being unable to use an abacus. agreed?

just to contradict myself: weren't there muton engineers, navigators etc in Xcom1? if so then we may have to rethink

#38 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:51 PM

Those 'mutons' don't pilot the ship/repair it with their own skills, they have a psionic link to an etherial nav/engie that provides them with instructions. (Now cut that wire, NO! Not that wire!)

Posted Image

#39 Kamikazee

Kamikazee

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 05:04 PM

aha I see. Thanxs.
so once again we all agree :)
goody
BTW who is doing the muton CTD (cant be @rsed to look)

#40 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 05:40 PM

BTW who is doing the muton CTD (cant be @rsed to look)

I believe that Aosar is working on it.

Posted Image

#41 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 03:05 AM

Well, it's done, or atleast hanging untill we get some art to base the CTD on...
-Aosar
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#42 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:27 AM

Well muton navigators and engineers know something that a complete idiot wouldn't know. It will be hard to explain why it is so.

#43 Kamikazee

Kamikazee

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:37 AM

Nyyp, look above,

Those 'mutons' don't pilot the ship/repair it with their own skills, they have a psionic link to an etherial nav/engie that provides them with instructions. (Now cut that wire, NO! Not that wire!)

I think thats the explanation you were looking for :D

#44 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:40 AM

IIRC, the navigation system is extremely intuitive. If you ARE the UFO, learning to fly it will be as easy as learning to walk. Cyber enhancements would help here, too.

Engineer Mutons could have cyber enhancements, that let them know how to repair the engines. Or it could just give the muton instructions. Mutons are very much like soldiers, they don't need to be smart to follow orders.
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#45 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:56 AM

Mutons are very much like soldiers, they don't need to be smart to follow orders.

True, but optimal execution of those orders needs atleast average intelligence. We should focus more on the single track mind of the Mutons, battle - battle - eat - battle...
-Aosar
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#46 Kamikazee

Kamikazee

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:01 AM

I always imagined mutons as super strong (maybe moderatly intelligent) super soldiers. They will not act smart as in hiding behind a wall and shooting, they will do whatever is neccassary to complete their orders, even if this means doing the opposite to what their common sense tells them. they just follow orders.

#47 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:55 PM

So if you capture a muton navigator, how does he know how to explain everything that is needed to get a hyperwave decoder? Why are they talking at all? They are almost like machines, they feel no pain or at least can take all the pain they get! Why are they telling us any information at all?

#48 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:54 PM

Psychic probes.

Well, there is other methods of extracting information...We can always starve them to death. Or something else...

Please note: My explanation is only my opinion. It isn't the true Xcom Canon.

Posted Image

#49 MagicAndy

MagicAndy

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:10 AM

Well, there is other methods of extracting information...We can always starve them to death. Or something else...

yeah like manipulation, see my thread on alien entertainment in the UFOpedia section

#50 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:29 AM

yeah like manipulation, see my thread on alien entertainment in the UFOpedia section

yes, I was actually thinking about that..