Timil

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 04:04 AM

First, buy a lot of grenade.
Second, give 5 grenade by member.

Last, when you go out of your craft, LAUNCH your grenade on all hiding spot!

It work for me.. nearly two alien per turn on the 3 firsts turns... and lot less death.

BUT: Alien does the same.. so attack before they do!
Grenadoholic

#2 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:45 AM

Does that mean that the aliens have "usual" spots like UFO does (recall the know your map elements thread under UFO)?

#3 Timil

Timil

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 09:48 AM

Just look at where you think they will hide.. and throw a grenade there :devilburn:
Grenadoholic

#4 NCC-1701-F

NCC-1701-F

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 05:33 PM

BUT: Alien does the same.. so attack before they do!

are you saying that the AI will adapt to your tactics? Because they don't go on grenade sprees otherwise

#5 Mylar

Mylar

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 03:01 PM

I don't know about you, but I remember the aliens in TFTD being pretty grenade happy.....

One of my worst memories of this game is the stupid side exit starting ship they give you, makes it impossible during the early game to get LOS on an aliens on the other side of the ship with a soldier who still has enough TU's to shoot what they find back there.....

I remember alot of times, losing my first men who came out of the hatch to a grenade tossed over the ship from an alien who started just on the other side....

My solution to this, of course, was to habitually have one of the first men out of the ship toss a grenade to the other side to wipe out anything hiding back there.....

I would not of developed this habit without cause...

#6 Jonaleth Irenicus

Jonaleth Irenicus

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:01 PM

-Aliens have usual hiding spots.

-Aliens have usual patrol patterns.

-Aliens usually act in the same way if you do the same thing. For example, if one of your men (or more) is standing at a certain spot, he might get a grenade on his head. If he were standing one/two squares back, the alien would just have walked back for cover (sick, but I know this happens).
Passenger ship terror site, first turn, I open the door of my Triton, there is a Tasoth up on the next floor (his back is facing the screen so I don't know what weapon he has).

One of my guys fire at him, hit, he reaction fires with Thermal Shock Launcher. The whole crew stunned. Mission over.

#7 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:39 AM

I've always considered the underwater grenade tossing to be completely ridiculus...
I mean, try to throw something underwater, you'll see what I mean :LOL: :explode:

Then again, TFTD is so much harder compared to XCOM1, YOU NEED GRENADES!!
:hammer:
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#8 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:39 AM

It's not much harder. I have more trouble with sectoids and terror disks than with gillmen and deep ones
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#9 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:21 AM

It's not much harder.  I have more trouble with sectoids and terror disks than with gillmen and deep ones

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course it's harder, in UFO once you get the big armors, it's rare to see one of your guys die... it'll be either by MC or by Chrysalids... and Flying suits will take care of those...
Besides, Sectoid=Aquatoid, and Cyberdisks = Biodrones, except cyberdisks can't hide in closets!! :explode:

The aliens in TFTD are much tougher in general, and some are even harder to kill than most (Lobsterman, Tassoth...) or impossible to MC (Tentaculat...) and they fly...
Two-parter missions are also unavoidable in TFTD (UFO had only one), and since Amno clips have far less capacity... :crying:

That said, the fact that it is better balanced is what makes a lot more challenge. That is indeed a very good thing, it keeps you on the edge all the time where in UFO it became far too easy when you had a good PSI squad... Leading up to that was the challenge... :D
In TFTD, thou shalt NEVER assume thyself safe... EVER... :o

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

#10 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:54 AM

Ion armour makes you pretty resilient. The game tends to even out by the time you get it and distribute it amongst your troops. Before that however, the game is just one big test of your endurance.

And, thankfully enough, you don't get to see too many Tentaculats except on the most important missions.

Speaking of the original topic regarding grenades:

There is only one TFTD-specific grenade strategy that cannot be used in UFO (well, naturally - you can achieve it by editing some stats). Stacking primed grenades.

Grenades in TFTD can withstand their own explosive power. Sonic Pulser in particular are indestructable until they detonate themselves . So if you're having trouble with an alien that withstands explosives (i.e lobstermen), a continuous series of explosives might just do the trick even if damage is halved.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#11 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:14 AM

Grenades in TFTD can withstand their own explosive power. Sonic Pulser in particular are indestructable until they detonate themselves . So if you're having trouble with an alien that withstands explosives (i.e lobstermen), a continuous series of explosives might just do the trick even if damage is halved.

- NKF

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, pretty annoying in UFO how grenades destroy the other ones... in all probability, the would DETONATE teh other ones :naughty:

#12 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:12 AM

- NKF

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, pretty annoying in UFO how grenades destroy the other ones... in all probability, the would DETONATE teh other ones :naughty:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh, that would be like in Halo. pretty useful too ^_^
most aliens carry a grenade, so if an alien popped up near many corpes, WHOOSH, BIG BOOM! :D

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:09 AM

or you could throw two, and one would launch the other away. I do that wil plasma grenades. Throw one, and then throw another just to the side of it, and you can blow it through bends and turns

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image

#14 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:47 PM

Hmmmm you're right kinda overkill if we don't need to prime them... Far too easy in fact...

It reminds me of a story I've heard (I think it was on the Darwin Awards), where a collector wanted to see how the interior of a WWII grenade was made... decided to cut it with a circular saw... Do these things make sparks?? Noooooo... they make lots of it, and heat metal too...
Suffice it to say that he won't be opening anything anytime soon...

BTW, did you know that a Grenade is actually a tropical fruit, when personnal little bombs were made ine early WWI, people nicknamed it after the fruit...
:D

#15 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:56 PM

did you hear about the judge who was at a trial with some guy becuase the guy had a grenade, and the judge accidentally pulled the pin during the trial, and....

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
Posted Image

#16 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• 2,417 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:40 PM

or you could throw two, and one would launch the other away.  I do that wil plasma grenades.  Throw one, and then throw another just to the side of it, and you can blow it through bends and turns

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they're also useful for putting turrets wherever you want them ;)

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:50 PM

or you could throw two, and one would launch the other away.  I do that wil plasma grenades.  Throw one, and then throw another just to the side of it, and you can blow it through bends and turns

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they're also useful for putting turrets wherever you want them ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool tactics, we'd sure need a bit more realistic explosions... :naughty:
Flinging things, soldiers and aliens around sure would be fun. :LOL:

#18 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:26 AM

since Amno clips have far less capacity...  :crying:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wouldnt you think theyd have greater capacity? I mean, most of your missions are going to be underwater, right? And since things weigh less underwater, it stands to reason that a soldier could hold more. So why couldn't your idiotic, overpaid scientists think of what a 15-year-old could???
Justice will be dispensed by cannonade and cutlass, and all manner of remorseless pieces of metal.

Take one more step, and I swear, I will kill you so hard you will die to death.

#19 centurion

centurion

Programming Department

• 800 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:44 AM

...maybe because the weapons are radically different and the underwater environment forces the use of more complicated (that is, heavier and bulkier) ammo? :hammer:

Edited by centurion, 01 October 2004 - 11:44 AM.

Endure; in enduring, grow strong.
- Dak'kon

Help us getting Civ2 code: http://forums.civfan...p...age=1&pp=20 !

#20 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, right...
That does NOT negate the fact that items should be lighter underwater... most are designed to be fairly weightless anyway, plus, power armors should give a strength bonus IMHO...

#21 floater medic

floater medic

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 01:17 PM

well for the harpoon weps the sheer size of the ammo compared to that of ground weps limits the amount u cuold carry, altho the point about the wieght is valid
-WHEN THERES A WILL THERES A WAY WHEN THERES A WHIP THERES A GAY-
-STICKS AND STONES MAY BREAK MY BONES BUT WHIPS AND CHAINS EXITE ME-
-MOTHER ALWAYS SAID LIFE IS LIKE A BOX OF EGGS......STUPID COW-

"a plastyc bag??? we cent tayk a plastyc bag if it hasen` got a speshel mark! doos eet hev a speshel mark????? oo it dont hev a speshel mark!!!!! we cent tek that eet cud strngle a lil kiddie that cud!!!!!!!"

#22 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 01:58 PM

...maybe because the weapons are radically different and the underwater environment forces the use of more complicated (that is, heavier and bulkier) ammo?  :hammer:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well for the harpoon weps the sheer size of the ammo compared to that of ground weps limits the amount u cuold carry, altho the point about the wieght is valid

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh?: :huh?: :huh?: :huh?: :huh?:
. . . . . . . . . . . .
Right, whatever you guys say.
Justice will be dispensed by cannonade and cutlass, and all manner of remorseless pieces of metal.

#23 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, I understand the crappy harpoon-gun might not have much amno, but at least there should be some POISON or EXPLOSIVE darts...
Still, amno is lacking more often in Tftd than in UFO, because guns contain less, and aliens endure more...

#24 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:14 PM

Poison, eh? That'ld be sweet. . .maybe in Xenocide? It could work like IC damage?