XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xenocide-xcom Dictionary

CaptainCharisma

Ok, me first !

In direct contrast to what i just wrote above, here is one suggestion. Maybe we can name aliens based on some mythology or something... maybe not obvious things like Cyclops or Medusa, but less used ones...

Here are a few are taken from:

http://www.iras.ucalgary.ca/~volk/sylvia/T...iaryProject.htm

Some suggestions of names:

AMPHISBAENA: a serpent with two heads, one in front and one at the tail. Thus it is able to slither in either direction with equal ease. Its eyes shine like lamps.

ASPIDOCHELONE, Latin aspido testudo: the shield-turtle, the sea monster so vast that men take it for an island and disembark their boats upon its back, but when they kindle a fire it dives and they are drowned.

CALADRIUS, CHARADRIUS: a bird like a heron, entirely white. It is found in the king's house and prognosticates the outcome of illnesses; for if it refuses to gaze in the face of a sick man, that man will die, but if it looks him in the eyes it draws the sickness into itself and flies away into the sun where the sickness is consumed.

ECHIDNA: in Greek mythology, she was the daughter of Gaea (the Earth) by Tartaros (the incarnate Underworld), a terror and a mother of monsters; her upper half was a beautiful woman, her lower body a serpent. Her children were the Greek monsters Scylla, Gorgo, the Chimera, the Nemean Lion, the dog Cerberus and the hideous dog Orthus which was owned by Geryon, who was the eagle that devoured the liver of Prometheus. She also gave birth to many dragons; she was the mother of dragons. She mated incestuously with her son Orthus, and their child was the Sphinx.

ect...

while the names may be cool, we dont have to follow the descriptions, but perhaps, some of the descriptors can be adhered to, just for prosterities sake

Also, about the sterotypical Gray Roswell Alien

--------------------------------------------

Perhaps "Gray" would be the best name. Im not sure if that was used already. I do remember reading it somewhere though. Should we also include a classification name, like Anterrus-Grayicus or something facy like that?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool stuff.

I'd suggested in a story forum thread that the aliens should be named from which constellation or star they come from but I like the whole greek mythology aspect as it'd open up all sorts of questions and theories that tie in with the mythology.

I also like the mythology aspect of the aliens. If we can find some names whose shapes could be generally used, that would harken to the inherited memory theory. Remeber the book 'Childhood's End'? The aliens that came down and pretty much took control of the planet looked like the classic image of the devil. Due to his theories of time, we knew of this thousands of years ago, and associated the look with evil.

Perhaps the aliens visited way back then, and the mythos turned the aliens into those beasts. Of course there's always the Cthuhlu mythos... :master: :devillaugh:

Thats exactly what I had in mind, and I dont think I could have explained it better myself. Also, no reason to limit it to Greek Mythology either, ...

heck you could even extend it to biblical stories, for example, I was thinking of a Sodom and Gamorah saga where, for example an Alien atifact lands nearby the fabled city, and releases earth shattering levels of microwave radiation, ultimately bioling the water molecles out of the local populus, and reducing them to ash and whats left of them - salt.

Just as well, you could blame Noah's flood on a gravitational anomaly due to alien spacecraft crashlanding on the (north or) south pole, and causing a massive melting of the ice caps.

Take it farther to other cultures like Hinduism... they have PLEANTY of non-human looking dieties, think of the possibilities....

Oh man that's a really big kettle of fish you'd open up there if we did go down the biblical path. I've seen some of the arguments with the more narrow minded god botherers, their refusal to even entertain an idea outside their beliefs is only equalled by ignorance for anyone else's beliefs. Probably best to stay away from religion. Wasn't it the bible belt in the States that put pressure on George Lucas to include a non religous meaning for the force in Episode one? That's a scary amount of influence.

Not to mention the amount of flame wars it'd cause either way.

Lets stick to the scientific side of things if we can and avoid igniting the religous touch paper please. That's one flame war I'd want to stand well back from. :)

I think the Captain's reasoning would simply be that we could pull alien names from all those sources, but not actually include storyline references to the bible, et cetera. In fact, it was probably a Snakeman that made Adam eat Eve's apple! :devillaugh: What about pulling an obscure reference from each of the major religions, creatively butcher the name a bit, and describe an alien look for it?

:puke:

Yes, agreed, biblical names/references can be risky, but they make for great Sci-Fi stories. Nonetheless, the smae effect can be achived with Greek/Roman and Nordic Mythology, and perhaps a referecne or two towards the whole Easter Island bit, the Aztech vs the Egyptian Pyramids, the big face on Mars, El Ninyo, Big Foot, The Loch ness monster, and finally George Bush.

George Bush an alien? Don't insult extraterrestrial life forms like that! :D Egyptian mythos could easily provide ideas, sort of like the Stargate storyline. Medusa could be attributed to snakeman-type alien. Grendel from Beowulf could be a Reaper-type, Chapacubra (sp?) from central american mythos (I think) could be Chryssalid. We could rename aliens to represent those names a bit maybe.

Here are some samples of snakes and latin names:

Crotalus viridis, Western (prairie) rattlesnake

Sistrurus catenatus, Massasauga

Hypsiglena torquata, Night snake

Lampropeltis getula, Common kingsnake

Massasauga sounds nice by itself, maybe combining different parts like Torgetula as well?

I used this site as a reference.

Guest blaa

Snakeman: Homo Extraneus Serpensis.

Muton: Homo Extraneus Robustus.

Etherial: Homo Extraneus Ingenuus.

Floater: Homo Extraneus Volucris.

Sectoid: Homo Extraneus Sagaciter.

Cyberdisk: Clipeus Spiro

Reaper: Ursa Extraneus Duo Cruris

Silicoid: Saxum Ferveo

Celatid: Acidus Conspuo

Chryssalid: Crystallus Abeo

Sectopod:Sector Pedis

So who isn't thinking of Road Runner cartoons at this point? :D

Guest drewid

meep meep.

I Love the Homo Extraneus prefix - that's neat.

And I like the formal name idea, but I can't imagine somene running into Battle shouting "look out there's a Homo Extraneus Ingenuus."

What would be good would be to use these in the pedia, and come up with grunt's nicknames, which will contrast nicely with the "formal" names and add a little depth.

Are there any Greek/ Roman / Norse / Babylonian mythological creatures who wouldn't mind donating their names. or something more "colloquial"

Etherial: Spook, Stickman, Candyman

Muton: Hulk, Mr Universe,

Celatid: pus bag, snot sack,

I'd agree with Drew. The long names are cool but not suitable for battlescape. Maybe just using the last part of each name.

Snakeman: Serpensis.

Muton: Robustus.

Etherial: Ingenuus.

Floater: Volucris.

Sectoid: Sagaciter.

But just for battlescape. I really like the Homo Extraneus too. Maybe have the full name and nickname in X-Net

I'm working on some names for the storyline, so far I've mutilated names from Egyptian, Nordic, Hindu, and Greek mythologies, scientific names, plus pulled some ideas previously posted too. Here's what I've got so far:

Snakeman/Ma-Kara

Floater/Char-Kara (since is looks sort of like a cyborg snakeman)

Celatid/Colucris

Sectoid/Sagisati

Mutons/Neithra

Reaper/Cerberus

Sectopods/Bastammu

Chryssalid/Achidna

Cyberdiscs/Aerodrone (for lack of a better name)

Ethereal/Ammonite (based off of extinct Cephalopod species they evolved from)

Edited by Breunor

I believe we've already settled on calling the sectoids "greys", and I think that the battlescape names of the other aliens should follow suit in being normal words. (the following may only apply if we do unit speech, some of them might sound corny as an actual alien name, but they would sound cool in speech....) Here are some examples of what I mean:

Cryssalid: "bugs"

Sectoid: "greys"

Snakeman: "crawlers"

like i said, they might sound corny, but in your best video game voice, imagine someone sayin "crawlers at three o'clock" or "bugs comin in fast" and then imagine it bein in a little speech window like in starcraft....imagine the possibilities......

-Mav

BTW, all i'm really suggesting is REALLY common and simple names for all the aliens during battlescape...I'm diggin the tech names for em.

• 2 weeks later...

For Example:

Sectoid - The Grey

Floater - Gravition

Snakeman - Viperoid

Muton - Decayon

Ethereal - Psymaston

Cyberdisk - Seizetor

Reaper - Jawpet

Chryssalid - Injectoid

Silacoid - Fossilon

Celatid - Floatbit

Sectopod - Kibros

• 3 weeks later...

Why don't we all just submit ideas for each new alien name and then when we have some good ones to choose from we'll bring it to a poll.

This would be my list I guess:

Sectoid - Primacon

Floater - Grazer

Snakeman - Cobracon

Muton - Titanoid

Ethereal - Cognicon

Cyberdisk - Artosaucer

Reaper - Maustadon

Chryssalid - Procreon

Silacoid - I like Fossilon

Celatid - Floatbit is good too

Sectopod - Artopod

This is actually pretty hard...the original names were so cool. :happybanana:

hmmm...

Sectoid -- homo fectora

flooter -- levo condari

snakemen -- vebro genta

muton -- homo zemetra

ethernal -- homo emectra

Cyberdisk -- demi orio

Reaper -- sentrofico

Chryssalid -- dent vembra

Silacoid -- ildeko

Celatid -- sventrada

Sectopod -- demi kodo

Don't ask their orígin....because i have no idea :sly:

I can see using something latinish in the X-Net detailed description, that would look good there. I would stay clear of anything ending with 'con' though, every time I hear it I envision Constructocons (whatever they were called) from the Transformers... :whatwhat:

If the current names don't sound good, I only ask that the names should be based around the aliens' culture or something like that-what they'd call themselves- rather than a descriptive that humans would give them. Human nicknames would be good for that.

For example, I can technically claim to be a native american of the Cherokee Nation when the census is taken. I don't know what clan my great grandmother was a part of, but if I could choose it would be Aniwaya, or Wolf clan (of course!). So officially I'd be a member of the Aniwaya clan of the Cherokee Nation, but other groups would use nicknames like Indian, Native American, etc. I suggest a similar system; official name, standard human/latin name, and generic nickname. The nickname should be close to the original names, since that's what everybody will call them anyways...

So using what we have so far, the ethereals would go like this:

Species: Ammonites

Scientific Name: Homo emectra

Common Name: Cognicon

I've seen a lot of ideas floating around since getting here, so I expect you'd have a lot of choices to pick from.

• 2 weeks later...

Ello, I made up some name replacements. Some are based on the UFO aliens and some are new ones, cause I think this game will be better with new, original aliens:

X-19 <= represents some nasty, mysterious alien

Kralognite <= Other name for the Silacoid maybe, cause of the "ite" in it which indicates it's some rock like substance.

Amanoid <= Some humanoid alien

Terramognor <= no idea, crossbreed human/alien anyone?

Cyber Hulk <= other name for muton

Mind Creeper <= ethereal

Btw. i'm totally against Latin names. These aliens appeared out of no where, exterminating the humans. Humans made nicknames, based on it's battle performance, the looks etc.

For example, i'm fighting mutons in the heat of battle. They are bulky, muscled, green and tough. I would almost say it's a brother of "The Hulk".

After hurting it like heck with my machinegun, it appears it consists of cybernetic material. It's a damn machine!

So a soldier like me, would name it "Cyber Hulk". Snake Man was also named for the resembling looks.

I agree that the most commonly used names would be simpler ones like that, I think something like the latin names would be casually referenced in the X-Net text (as I figure a bookworm somewhere would wet their pants if every new scientific discovery didn't have a proper name). For example, you could say,

X-Com scientists have studied the mysterious Neanderthal (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) to determine its physical makeup....

Just using the common name first that everyone would associate in the game.

Just to nitpick...

If we're trying to be vaguely scientifically accurate, we can't have anything in the homo genus. That's limited specifically to hominids (ie balding anthropoidal apes). Since sectoids, mutons, etc. have no actual direct connection to humanity, they can't be in the genus homo. They should however probably have the species name of sapiens, since they are sapient beings. So an intelligent chimp (ala David Brin's Uplift Saga) would be Pan Sapiens (the Chimps currently being Pan Troglodytes).

That being said, there is a scientific movement to place certain chimpazee species under the homo genus rather than pan due to genetic similarities.

The mechanical aliens (sectopods and cyberdiscs) wouldn't get latin anmes at all, being machines rather than species. Otherwise I'm driving a Toyotus Camrius. :D

-The Captain

edit: typos and further thoughts.

Edited by Cpt. Boxershorts

Maybe the UFOpeadia could also mention what they call themselves. It's not necessary but I think it would look good. So there is a popular name (maybe player-customizable), and maybe a scientific name and an "alien" name.

Something like:

popular name:Snakemen

scientific name : Serpens Ambulansis

true name: Sshi'ygha

The other issue with using Homo xyz for the names, is that depending on what alien origin story you use, none of the aliens are actually from the human species as using homo would suggest. Perhaps using xeno instead of homo?

Well, since Norse mythology was mentioned, I'm always happy to put my knowledge of the subject to some actual use.

Aurochs: Ancient ancestors of modern oxen, which the Norse had domesticated. Audumla was their primeval progenitor.

Ymir: The first frost giant, so vast that his dead body is the middle world that we live on.

Garm: Guardian dog of the Land of the Dead, his breast is stained red with blood.

Hel: Loki's daughter, Queen of the Dead, a rotting corpse from the waist down.

Skoll and Hati: Wolves that pursued the sun and moon, respectively. They catch them at Ragnarok.

Fenrir: Loki's son, a giant wolf that will have a part in Ragnarok, the end of the world.

Jormungand: The giant serpent that encircles the middle world, the last freaky child of Loki, also has a part in Ragnarok.

Norns: Ancient, wise women, beyond time, who forsee the fates of all people.

Well of Urd (or Wierd): Their home.

Mjollnir: Thor's hammer.

Skidbladnir: Freyr's ship, the finest ship ever made, can be folded up and put in a pocket.

Brisingamen: Necklace of the Brisings - made by four dwarves, Freya slept with them to get it.

Finngalkn: A monster with a human head, a beast's body, a large heavy tail, and terrific claws.

Jutuls, Jotuns, or Riser: Giants, enemies of gods and men, live primarily in the mountains.

Well, mythology truly is an endless (and I do mean ENDLESS) supply of cool names. Brainstorm!!

Let's go (in no particular order) :

Valkyrie (angels of battle, selected those who were doomed to die),

Lamia (sort of Babylonian vampire),

Siren (Greek demonesses, enchanted passers-by with their songs and then devoured them),

Seth (Egyptian god of evil),

Gorgon (think Medusa),

Sleipnir (Odin's horse),

Phobos/Deimos :wink: (companions to Ares),

Ninurta (Sumerian god of war), Nergal (Babylonian god, master of... oh no, I can't say that here :angry: ),

Leviathan (Phoenician personification of evil),

Fafnir (dragon, Nibelungen),

Lilith (first woman, before Eve, vowed revenge on mankind),

Lamastu (Assyric demon), Cernunnos (master of wild beasts),

Angra Mainyu (Persian demon)

Harpy, Minotaur, Hydra, Sphinx, Cyclops, Manticore, Titan, Golem, ...

I could go on about this all day... but this probably is enough for a while

Leviathan (Phoenician personification of evil)

In the bible as well, also appears in a series of famious console roleplaying games... :LOL:

Valkyrie (angels of battle, selected those who were doomed to die)

Also had to do with taking the dead to Valhalla, right?

I personally think we should look at the X-COM game names for the creatures and try to come close w/ out breaking any copyrights...

Hmm, not really... If we are too close it will appear cheesy, only mere copying... I think that we should instead of looking at the aliens names in X-Com, look at the aliens themselves and think of both a scientific name - in latin would be cool - and a name the "grunts" are probably going to use...

I think the use of Xeno would be too generic. If you use it too many times it becomes repetetive and if you use it on only a few then its not consistent.

But I agree about the -toid -con -pod comment by Aosar

we can't have anything in the homo genus.

They should however probably have the species name of sapiens.

Two excellent points, and so to address:

Since we are dealing with Xeno-Biology it would be nessessary to add and extra word to indicat more-or-less not-Terrestrial. Also though not realated to humans the aliens are "men" in the non-gender specific sense. So . . .

Snakeman: Extraneus Homo Serpensis Sapiens.

Muton: Extraneus Homo Robustus Sapiens.

Etherial: Extraneus Homo Ingenuus Sapiens.

Floater: Extraneus Homo Volucris Sapiens.

Sectoid: Extraneus Homo Sagaciter Sapiens.

Cyberdisk: Extraneus Clipeus Spiro.

Reaper: Extraneus Ursa Duo Cruris.

Silicoid: Extraneus Saxum Ferveo.

Celatid: Extraneus Acidus Conspuo.

Chryssalid: Extraneus Crystallus Abeo.

Sectopod:Extraneus Sector Pedis.

The "Terrorist do not have Sapiens since they are not intelligent. Some maybe mechanical but then maybe we can make them Biotechnology like those Cyberdisk images that were created about a month ago.

Xeno refers to not-homo, in other words, freakin wierd, i.e. "other".

And yes, Valkyries brought the dead to Valhalla, the Hall of Valor, Odin's hall. They were warrior women, with names like Shrieker and Destroyer. They were pretty ethereal, but one was turned into a mortal once, for love. :wub: Soldiers saw them as they died.

Odin's horse is interesting. A giant disguised as a man offered to rebuild the Aesir walls after their great battle with the Vanir gods. He said if he didn't do it superfast, there'd be no charge. The gods agreed, but the man did it superfast with his superfast horse. On the last day, Loki disguised himself as a mare and lured the horny horse away. The giant was found out and killed. Loki later gave birth to the 8 legged horse, Sleipnir, which he gave to Odin. :sly:

Ok. I'm done.

The norse religion is easily the most grim I've ever heard of.

When you die if you are a good and virtuous person you get to go to Valhalla. Valhalla is the dinning hall of an enormous castle where Odin is throwing the party to end all parties. Okay, so far sounds a lot like heaven. Perhaps even better you're going to a party to whoop it up, no looking solumn, no having to constantly praise your "jealous" host, just pure fun.

But . . . .

The party ends you see. And the next morning you have to go fight the forces of evil, in the greatest battle that will ever be, Ragnarock. Well the Bible has something similar, Armageddon.

But . . . .

In Norse mythology evil wins the battle of Ragnarock, and the universe becomes a cold dark place forever.

Come to think of it, it sounds a lot like the current scientific theories for the end of the universe! Everything is ultimately pointless; very Kafkaesque, really.

As to religion, i don't think this will count. We simply look at the names in the known religions (that we can find). We arnt disscusting wich one(s) are true.

Can't we tweak " Armageddon" into something alien?

Armadont sounds great for a grunt name, maybe reaper?

Mergetan (maergedan, or merchechan) for an sub-alien in v 1.0+

donderman (the donderman strike back! hehe)

Edited by mikker

• 2 weeks later...

well I've been digging around for ideas about the aliens and came up wit hthe following for the snakemen.

Caethhyse: servent warriors

Stairnnadr: star snake/serpent

Armunndaor: enslaved warrior

Snauehyse: crawling warroir

basing this on something I read about the aliens being subjugated to the sectoids or another race to do their bidding.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, this topic is purely for new names for the xcom equipment. Since we cant use the original names due to copyright issues.

It was requested because many ctd folk are still using the classic names. Mamutas wanted to have a repository of xcom-xenocide names, so here it is.

If anyone doesn't like the names I come up with, post replacements here.

Some names are nondescript and probably cant be copyrighted.

Names with a (?) next to them are not final and may need to be updated.

the *****s are dividers between different groups of objects.

**Craft Weapons**

1. Stingray Missile= Vindicator Missile (?), "Talon" Missile (?)

2. Avalanche Missile= Pacifier Missile (?), "Mercury" Missile (?)

3 Cannon= Rail (?) Cannon

4. Laser Cannon= "Hellfire" Laser Cannon (?)

5. Plasma Cannon= Plasma Cannon

6. Fusion Ball Launcher= "Vengeance" Fusion Missile launcher (?)

**Xcorps Craft**

7. Interceptor= XC-1 "Garuda" (?) interceptor

8. Skyranger= XC-11 VTOL transport (nickname is coming sometime)

9. Firestorm= uhh, any takers? Update: Firestorm="Sunstroke" Fighter (?), "Starfire" fighter (?)

10. Lightning= ditto firestorm Update: "Gryphon" Transport (?)

11. Avenger= Nova Heavy Assault Transport (?) Came up with that myself. :D, Update: "Eclipse" Transport (?)

**Tanks**

12. Tank=Tank

13. HWP= Assault Weapons Platform (?)

**Personal Weapons**

14. Rifle= X # (can't remember) assault rifle

15. Heavy Cannon= "Decimator" Advanced Grenade Launcher (?)

16. Auto Cannon= "Annhilator" Automatic Grenade Launcher (?)

17. Laser Pistol= "Burner" laser Pistol (?)

18. Laser Rifle= "Sunfury" Laser Rifle (?)

19. Heavy Laser= "Starfire" Advanced Laser (?)

**Alien Weapons**

20. Plasma Pistol= Plasma Pistol

21. Plasma Rifle= Ditto plasma pistol

22. Heavy Plasma= Heavy Plasma Rifle (?)

23. Small Launcher= Alien Stun Launcher (?), Alien Grenade Launcher (?)

24. Blaster Launcher= Fusion Bomb Launcher (?)

**Equipment**

25. Mind Probe= Anal Probe! :LOL: J/K, Mind probe can stay the same.

26. Medikit= Field Surgery Kit (?), Medikit (?)

27. Flare= Flare

28. Pistol= X-1 "Perforator" pistol (?)

29. Stun Rod= Electric/ Cattle prod (?)

30. Psi Amp= Psionic Amplifier (?)

**UFO stuff**

31. Elerium= Unknown, any takers?

32. Alien Terror Ship= Alien troop transport. (?) Terror ship has to change, because that is probably the only alien ship name that can be copyrighted.

**Armor**

33. Power Suit= Power[ed] Armor (?)

34. Flying Suit= Anti-Grav Armor (?)

35. Personal Armor= Personal Armor

**Aliens**

Snakemen= Viranguis (Man Snake in latin) (?)

Sectoid= "Grey" (?) Ravuscutis (Grey Skin in latin) (?)

Chryssalid=

Sectopod=

Etherial= Ammenomite (?, sp?)

Muton=

Cyberdisc= Floating Saucer (?) Terror Disc (?)

Reaper=

Celatid= The blob (?)

Sillicoid=

Floater= Weak and stupid alien, err I mean, hovering thingy

Credits: "Sunstroke" by Judge Deadd "Garuda" Interceptor by warhamster, Rail Cannon by Aosar, Pacifier Missile by warhamster, Talon missie/mercury missile/Starfire fighter/ Gryphon Transport/ Eclipse Transport by j'ordos. Antigrav Armor and Power armor by Mikker. Latin translations by Jim69. The rest so far by cpl. Facehugger.

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

This could just be me, but I remember that some of this was discussed earlier and the idea of Ideology was brought up. IMO I think 4 a specific set of names ( say the craft names ) we should derive them from specific Mythology, this is a technique I ave seen in a quite a few games and would allow 4 a lot of names 2 be produced that sound good and have a sorta uniformity 2 the groups. Just my view.

Not off hand, but my mom is a keen archeologist and I think she knows a lot about mythology as well. If u want I could run it past her and get some suggestions going. Right now it City v Arsenal so I'll be watching that but I'll see if I can get a little list up 4 ya.

OK, I'm not sayin all these should be used but it is a start. Keep in mind that there is another topic somewhere that has suggestions 4 names that could be used, sorry if I double post those.

Egyptian ( I think best 4 craft names )

Amaunet

Amon

Apis

Hathor

Horus

Osiris

Serapis

Sekhmet

Nepthys

Minor Greek

Bestla

Dionysus

Thanatos

Nemesis

(Lachesis)

(Atropos)

(Clotho)

Terpsichore

*Erinya*

*Megaera*

*Alecto*

Well, there's some, it's just a case of deciding which we like, and which religions should corrospond to which groups. I think the top list, as I have stated, should be for human craft and prehaps the second list should be nicknames for weaponry, prehaps even an identifier for Alien weaponry. Maybe we should look 2 other religions for Alien's names as well.

The ones I have bracketed have this description, which I feel is fitting for human craft weaponry:

These goddesses decide human destiny and assign individuals to lives of good or evil and whether life is short or long.[/QUTOE]

The ones with stars have this desciption:

These goddesse pursue wrongdoers until death, often driving them to suicide. particularly concerned with matricide; they came from the blood of Uranus when he was castrated.

Edited by Jim69

AWP? are you a CS addict?

hmmm.....

laser riffle: "beemer" riffle

heavy laser: BBG laser (Big Bad Gun :P, though i like the slang of BBG.)

Blaster launcher: Alien Redeemer

PSI AMP: Psionic Magnifying Liquids : PML (?)

Flying armor: Anti Gravity Suit (Anti-Grav Suit? AG suit?)

Power suit: Elerium (?) suit

Hmm lets see.

No I am not a cs addict, in fact, I have never played cs before.

For the lasers, I figure they would have heat based nicknames, like scorcher, hellfire, etc.

For the Blaster Launcher, the redeemer joke would not be understood by those who didn't play unreal tourney.

PML is a good idea, but the ctd would have to come up with a reason for why the psi amp has liquids, and the modeler would need to incorporate that into his model.

Your anti grav suit is a great idea. But I think it should be anti grav armor, as we want to make sure the player knows it is armor, not a flying tshirt.

Lastly, I think we can stick with powered armor.

Good ideas though, keep em coming!

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

Understood, I shall edit the first post to include this.

Also, I don't really feel that adding egyptain and greek names will make sense. I mean, how many people know who Dionysus was? (He was the god of wine and something else, but thats besides the point) One of the biggest problems with freespace in my eyes was the use of all those greek and egyptain names. I could only understand what a few of them were. Besides, some of them didn't seem to fit in on a aircraft.

No skin off my nose, just a suggestion. Nothing wrong with naming things by god's names tho, especially the aliens IMO, and some of the translations could be seen as referencing 2 the aircraft or object they are representing.

Or 4 a cop out, use the latin rough translation 2 find a word or phrase that is sorta describes the item and use that. Like Snakeman they can sue 4, but the latin equivilent? Just put the latin words 4 Snake and Man together and a scientific name is born :) This could be done 4 descriptions 4 many aliens, maybe even their weapons.

Edit: A little like this ( tho there are plenty of Latin words, so we can mess around with the description till one translates into a nice word )

Viranguis- : Man Snake, or Anguis for short - Snakeman

Ravuscutis - Grey skin - Sectoid

Umbrapotestas - Shadowed mind ( maybe that one bad tho since it needs 2 be able 2 be appreviated and I can't think of a decent abbr. for that 1 ) - Etherials

Edited by Jim69