XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xenocide Identity

Dear Members,

Since the beginning of the current year the senior team has been working on a rebranding of the Xenocide Project, mostly because we believe that as the Project matures a more professional look is needed. Part of that image is our public web site as well as our logo. This operation has been performed undercover to give a surprise to the whole community; it took time and resources to get the new site up and running but after all we think the new identity is a clear reflection of what we think is an initial step into a more professional looking team.

The site has been rebuilt from scratch to minimize the work needed for keeping it up to date. Currently it doesnt feature any dynamic functionality due to our believe that an early release would benefit the project the most; nevertheless now we are open to contribution from anyone with experience in Java and MySQL to implement the required functionality allowing us a simplified updating of the site with the community information.

I would like to say thanks too to Vaaish and Mad for the design and coding of the new site and logo and all the effort they have put into it.

Greetings

Red Knight

Xenocide Project Leader

Edited by red knight

So that's why you were so busy, Mad. OMG

Nice job guys, I love the new design!!! =b =b

- Zombie

It might need some cleaning up for the XHTML Strict code. Maybe also the CSS code. Just trying to help the one who's developing. To easy the coding, try Transitional instead of Strict.

Take a look at this:

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&ur...xenocide.com%2F

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validat...xenocide.com%2F

greets,

Thomas

Sure, if someone took care of updating the SVN with proper assortment of screenshots and renders :P *hint* *hint*

well, that's the main reason why the site doesn't have any newer renders. There aren't any new renders - and that's why there aren't any new renders in the SVN either.

All of the stuff we have has both a concept folder and a render folder. If it isn't in there we probably don't have a new render of it.

It might need some cleaning up for the XHTML Strict code. Maybe also the CSS code. Just trying to help the one who's developing. To easy the coding, try Transitional instead of Strict.

Take a look at this:

Thanks for your input :)

Well, I think most of the errors come from

1. the div ID, which I don't think is a serious problem,
  2. the log in field which will be changed as soon as the site has scripting functionality, and
  3. deeplinks to the forums

Actually I don't know if the div id problem justifies a rewrite of the CSS.

edit: this is not to say I don't see your point, because I do. I'm "just" questioning the need to be strictly compliant as long as it works in the frequent used browsers...

Edited by Mad

Take a look at this:

Thanks for your input :)

Well, I think most of the errors come from

1. the div ID, which I don't think is a serious problem,

2. the log in field which will be changed as soon as the site has scripting functionality, and

3. deeplinks to the forums

Actually I don't know if the div id problem justifies a rewrite of the CSS.

edit: this is not to say I don't see your point, because I do. I'm "just" questioning the need to be strictly compliant as long as it works in the frequent used browsers...

ID's are ID's. They can only be used once. Define classes instead ;)

Furthermore, use transitional instead of Strict. It'll make your life a lot easier. The need for W3C Valid websites is high. I suggest you try to alter the code. For what I've seen at the validation, it should take an hour max.

greets,

Thomas

Spiffy new website :D

Im wondering are the forums going to be changed to a similar color scheme? or will they remain the same?

i wonder if its possible for different forums to have different forums

*those are the xenocide forums, see how green and black they are?*

*and those are blehm's forums. Look out for the flowers, the can be nasty.*

Im wondering are the forums going to be changed to a similar color scheme? or will they remain the same?

I'm sorry, but I would ask those who are in charge to keep the forum colors as they are <_ now the forums are quite readable for my eyes changing to a dark background would make hurt why i not frequent visitor of strategycore sorry offtopic.>

I'm sorry, but I would ask those who are in charge to keep the forum colors as they are <_ now the forums are quite readable for my eyes changing to a dark background would make hurt why i not frequent visitor of strategycore sorry offtopic.>

I thought that forums (probably phpBB or something else) are subject to customization, so that each visitor can choose the colour scheme or language he wants. I am not sure if this also applies to Invision Boards...

I thought that forums (probably phpBB or something else) are subject to customization, so that each visitor can choose the colour scheme or language he wants. I am not sure if this also applies to Invision Boards...

Yes, it is usually possible. But sometimes it is also possible to cripple the forum so that switching to some other theme becomes impossible :( That was the case with strategycore some time ago. Just checked it again, now it is possible to switch to default IPB theme at strategycore, I'm happy :)

The forums will remain as is. We host several independant entities here and cant have one over shadow the rest. Plus I hate dark backgrounds as I consider them cliche.

is it possible different sections to have different color schemes though? It would probably be near impossible, but it'd be interesting to know if its possible

Guest Azrael
All of the stuff we have has both a concept folder and a render folder. If it isn't in there we probably don't have a new render of it.

Is it really that hard to make a render? it'd be nice for all of us who don't have 3dstudio to be able to see what's being done. Working with crappier software than 3dstudio points that rendering is quite easy, but I could be of course mistaken, if I'm not, I don't see the reason why we don't have renders of all pics.

The forums will remain as is.  We host several independant entities here and cant have one over shadow the rest.  Plus I hate dark backgrounds as I consider them cliche.

Hmmm? That's not really true there, Xenocide has different access levels and permissions and groups, i.e. I belong to the Creative Text Department group. Whereas UFO2000 developers are all subject to the Forum Member group. So, basically UFO2000 has our shadow on them, at least forum wise.

I don't see a reason why custom skins can't be put up for whoever wants to use them.

Is it really that hard to make a render? it'd be nice for all of us who don't have 3dstudio to be able to see what's being done. Working with crappier software than 3dstudio points that rendering is quite easy, but I could be of course mistaken, if I'm not, I don't see the reason why we don't have renders of all pics.

The forums will remain as is.  We host several independant entities here and cant have one over shadow the rest.  Plus I hate dark backgrounds as I consider them cliche.

Hmmm? That's not really true there, Xenocide has different access levels and permissions and groups, i.e. I belong to the Creative Text Department group. Whereas UFO2000 developers are all subject to the Forum Member group. So, basically UFO2000 has our shadow on them, at least forum wise.

I don't see a reason why custom skins can't be put up for whoever wants to use them.

no, its not hard to make new renders, but we already have up to date renders of what hte models look like. I'm saying that with hte exception of a few of the very old alien stuff that is the latest we have. the only thing thats not the latest in there are the the alien concepts for a few of the critters and we have the up to date concepts in the svn.

Edited by Vaaish

I like to have a unified view, but I do agree with stewart for different reasons... dark backgrounds are just awful for reading.

Greetings

Red Knight

Just see the Solaris phpBB template of the UFO:AI forums... Posts are readable, but you can't easily distinguish the individual threads. And, after some time, reading posts becomes really annoying... Edited by kafros

UFO2k has chosen to operate this way; I HAVE offered in the past on a few occasions.

As for custom skins, send me a skin and I'll see what I can do.

Looks good, thought I have a few suggestions:

1)The page is currently a bit too narrow.

I can see it's designed to fit into 800x600 screen, but that's a bit 90s. Today 1024x768 is the minimun standard in web design. I have Google Analytics running on a site which receivered a few hundret unique visitors per day and there only about 2.5% uses 800x600 resolution. 1024x768 is the most common with over 57% of users using it. The rest (40%) are using screen resolution greater than 1024x768.

2) The font could be a bit bigger.

I'm having hard time to read the text with my 1600x1200 display :(

3) I have an advanced php web framework and content management system

Just ask and I can drop-in it in a few hours to projectxenocide.com. It features article and news management, static page management, caching, per page adjustable page layouts and a whole lot more. It's in use in multiple sites, where the biggest is getting tens of thousands visitors per day.

- Garo =)

Just ask and I can drop-in it in a few hours to projectxenocide.com. It features article and news management, static page management, caching, per page adjustable page layouts and a whole lot more. It's in use in multiple sites, where the biggest is getting tens of thousands visitors per day.

Would be great if you could port it for Xenocide!

to extend the suggestion of Kafros,

Use Typo3. It's the only open source CMS that can compete with commercial versions. I say this as an expert so you can take me on my word. It's part of my job now.

If you don't want the power of Typo3 (which I doubt), use Joomla, PHPWCMS or similar.

And no, the font is not too small, it only lacks contrast with the background.

greets,

Thomas

Actually there's a big problem: The CMS gui is in Finnish, and there's no i18n support. The php framework could still be installed, but one would need to write plugins to import data from external datasources/cms systems.

So I guess it's better to use for example those what ATeX suggested.

- Garo

Actually there's a big problem: The CMS gui is in Finnish, and there's no i18n support. The php framework could still be installed, but one would need to write plugins to import data from external datasources/cms systems.

So I guess it's better to use for example those what ATeX suggested.

- Garo

Yea, might be better indeed... :)

Guest Azrael

I like to have a unified view, but I do agree with stewart for different reasons... dark backgrounds are just awful for reading.

Greetings

Red Knight

StrategyCore has a dark skin and looks fabulous, posts are as readable as here (the sections are more easily navigable, IMO, because of the skin, not just the colors, but all of it).

And if these are the forums of XCOMUFO, what better than to have an X-Com skin? We don't need a Xeno / UFO2000 skin, an X-Com one would fit all purposes (SC fits perfectly my ideas, you should hire Pete to do the job :laugh:)

Why don't we make our own blog engine? There are a few experienced web developers among us, and many willing to learn. I would humbly suggest the "FriendsofED Blog Design Solutions, Feb 2006" pdf, which elaborates on the concept of web logs, helps you create a "Local test enviroment" (for amateur-newbie designers), has a complete user guide for Movable type, ExpressionEngine, WordPress and Textpattern, and even guides you on how to create you own Blog Engine.

Of course, ATeX's suggestion is far more reliable and practical, but unfortunately removes most (if not all) the joy of a blog's concept and prohibits some members from contributing.

Just my humble opinion, take it with a tiny pinch of salt.

Edited by kafros

Installing either one of those CMS's is quite easy. You'll only need

1) to be able to create DB's by either a CPanel or a MySQL prompt

2) have access to PHPMyAdmin or similar so you can edit the DB easily

3) and have FTP access for uploading, chmodding etc

Just follow the guidelines and it'll point itself out, at least, if you have some experience at those 3 points.

Ah yes, and before putting the site in a CMS, make it W3C Valid. That'll prevent you from having problems as well on the CMS side as on the browser compatibility and search engine side.

Good luck!

greets,

Thomas

StrategyCore has a dark skin and looks fabulous, posts are as readable as here (the sections are more easily navigable, IMO, because of the skin, not just the colors, but all of it).

Well, probably you have a better eyes + monitor combo :) I find it hard to read text on black background, and I am not alone here, at least some people share the same opinion.

And if these are the forums of XCOMUFO, what better than to have an X-Com skin? We don't need a Xeno / UFO2000 skin, an X-Com one would fit all purposes (SC fits perfectly my ideas, you should hire Pete to do the job :laugh:)

Current light blue background fits X-COM theme very fine - it matches the color of UFO and alien alloys :)

PS. if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

Edited by Serge

Guest Azrael

Well, probably you have a better eyes + monitor combo :) I find it hard to read text on black background, and I am not alone here, at least some people share the same opinion.

Current light blue background fits X-COM theme very fine - it matches the color of UFO and alien alloys :)

Actually, it's way too light to even resemble something that would fit an X-Com theme.

PS. if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

There is a difference between fixing something and improving it.

So, if the administrators manage to add a "Custom skin" feature, so that every member can choose the skin of his preference, then there is no problem. Otherwise, let's stick to this skin.

That option is already available in IPB.

The default skin will remain as the default for the site, if someone wants to experiment with custom skins I can try to load them into the board. I assume these are just files that I load, does anyone have a skin file?