XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Updates

Vaaish

I've decided to open the xenocide submssion format to include blend files for texturing and animation. With that in mind, here are a couple of models I've been working on.

The XC33 is now fully converted from Maya and correctly skinned and can be considered ready for export and use in game.

I've completed the base color map for the tracked Xcaps and I'm planning on getting the bump spec and incandescence map finished up tomorrow.

Enjoy!

edit: added the final render of the xcap tracked body. Remaining items are the three weapons it can carry.

xc33.jpg

xcapupdate.jpg

Edited by Vaaish

Really nice work, Vaaish! I love it! =b =b

- Zombie

Hover Xcap chassis complete. I know it looks a little sparse, but that is the nature of the alien alloy and armor plating. If it was piloted the front glacies would have a bit more detail but I figured that having a unbroken armor plate there would dissipate energy better than having several plates on it.

Chasis.jpg

Chasis2.jpg

Edited by Vaaish

minor update thanks to Fux, gave a couple of ideas that really improved the front.

Yes it does have a cannon, 2 actually, but I haven't textured them yet.. expect them to come in tomorrow. This is just the common part of the model.

chassis1.jpg

Looking nice :D

Maybe changing the text on the sides to something like "Not a Seat" or "No Sitting" or "Caution Do not Sit"?

and the last Xcap, the GAIA Hover Xcap.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to unwrap and texture the XC1 in the 4 hours I have before I head out for Thanksgiving.

final01.jpg

final02.jpg

Edited by Vaaish

Question: If the laser weapons are blue, and the plasma is also blue wouldnt that be a little bit confusing?

Or is that a more humanized version, where we used our own tech to integrate this thing into a floating tank; instead of just sticking an alien gun on this thing?

Other then that; lookin very nice B)

Edited by Shinzon

Question: If the laser weapons are blue, and the plasma is also blue wouldnt that be a little bit confusing?

Or is that a more humanized version, where we used our own tech to integrate this thing into a floating tank; instead of just sticking an alien gun on this thing?

If I may redirect you over here directly followed by this(read only the first sentence :) )... :)

So, yes, it's a human design. But the actual thing is: it's only the handheld LASERs that are blue, the XCAP mounted is red. :) So, basically, the blue on the LASER weapons is only design...

But, yes, it might confuse a little, but it's not a consistency problem. :)

If I may redirect you over here directly followed by this(read only the first sentence :) )... :)

So, yes, it's a human design. But the actual thing is: it's only the handheld LASERs that are blue, the XCAP mounted is red. :) So, basically, the blue on the LASER weapons is only design...

But, yes, it might confuse a little, but it's not a consistency problem. :)

What might be a consistency problem is that from what I remember, all plasma weapons have prongs which are necessary, the plasma cannon on the XCAP does not have prongs.

az... look closer there are prongs on there :) they end in the bright tips. the front three overhang the front of the cannon. are you sure you aren't looking at the GAIA launcher version?

Shinzon: the dirty game play reason is so that you can differentiate when someone fires an XCAP vs and hand held laser :) I will admit I wasn't thinking about the handheld ones when I textured that, I was more concered with finishing it and though "hey, the generic laser weapon is red, lets go with that"

Edited by Vaaish

az... look closer there are prongs on there :) they end in the bright tips. the front three overhang the front of the cannon. are you sure you aren't looking at the GAIA launcher version?

Shinzon: the dirty game play reason is so that you can differentiate when someone fires an XCAP vs and hand held laser :) I will admit I wasn't thinking about the handheld ones when I textured that, I was more concered with finishing it and though "hey, the generic laser weapon is red, lets go with that"

Ehm, yes I was... I was instinctively looking for the green cannon :) :doh:

See this is what I meant :P

But alright; it will be more fun with all those flashy colors left and right :D

Looks awesome, but I don't see the point in making the weapons a rainbow of colors, let's set a specific color for plasma (green!!), one for lasers (blue or red) and one for Fusion.

I would actually say this:

Light lasers: blue beam

Heavy lasers (HLC and laser Xcap): thick red beam

Plasma: Blue bolt (this will be a very identifiable look much different than the beams so color won't be a problem)

GAIA: green exhaust glow.

this way no weapon has to be changed and the heavier lasers are easily identifiable from the lighter ones. It also makes sense that the components of a heavier laser would produce a different beam color if it was needed to (take for example the ruby solid state lasers vs the chemical THEL beams)

I would actually say this:

Light lasers: blue beam

Heavy lasers (HLC and laser Xcap): thick red beam

Plasma: Blue bolt (this will be a very identifiable look much different than the beams so color won't be a problem)

GAIA: green exhaust glow.

this way no weapon has to be changed and the heavier lasers are easily identifiable from the lighter ones. It also makes sense that the components of a heavier laser would produce a different beam color if it was needed to (take for example the ruby solid state lasers vs the chemical THEL beams)

Sounds good! But I have a question, and this is certainly not a complaint, merely curiosity; is there a point to making plasma not-green? I mean, everyone here who has played X-Com... everyone here will most likely associate green blasts with plasma, I mean, this is almost what I'd call a canon in plasma weaponry on sci-fic games. It's just a matter of preferrence, maybe, but I just don't understand why change this. :)

I thought it would be a nice change from the typical, oddly enough I tend to think of plasma as blue though I believe it can come in any color. It just seems that it presents a colder more destructive feel than green. (lightning is a blue white)

I thought it would be a nice change from the typical, oddly enough I tend to think of plasma as blue though I believe it can come in any color. It just seems that it presents a colder more destructive feel than green. (lightning is a blue white)
Double that!!! For example, some star-trek fans would argue that plasma bolts are red (IIRC of course, I never was such a fan :P). Anyway, just google "red plasma bolt" and "green plasma bolt".

Can't this be changed at the options (V1+ feature) by using masks?

Double that!!! For example, some star-trek fans would argue that plasma bolts are red (IIRC of course, I never was such a fan :P). Anyway, just google "red plasma bolt" and "green plasma bolt".

Can't this be changed at the options (V1+ feature) by using masks?

I'm just saying that in general, plasma weapons in games are green (though there is no reason they can't be pink or anything), but they can be just any color, just a suggestion.

moving on, here is an inprogress shot of the XC1. Still a ways to go on the color map... I have to add a few more details and get the underside finished. Not much in terms of a bump map though, mainly just needs a spec map.

xc1.jpg

Ok here is the final for the XC1.... not a lot of detail here but then looking at the reference there really isn't much on there because of the stealth design :)

FInal01.jpg

FInal02.jpg

Quick progress report on the stun launcher. Color and incandescence maps are done, still have to finish bump and spec so it'll probably be finished later tonight. its green because its a "launcher" weapon so gaia, stun and probably the gravity distortion launcher will have the green high tech glow.

stun01.jpg

Edited by Vaaish

ok here is the final for the Stun Launcher. Next up grenades...

No Alien version?

if this is the Alien version, why does it have an x-corps logo?

Edited by Azrael

it's the human version... alien one isn't done yet. it you look it follows the style for the advanced Xcorps weapons and is far too blocky to be an alien weapon. Right now I'm only doing models we already have and getting them textured before I move on to new model creation. The only exception to this is the grenades which will take only a few hours to remake and texture. I'm doing them so we have a wider range of weapons in game.

BTW do you think we can get an update on the main site... might pull in some extra interest to see there's been progress :)

Edited by Vaaish

it's the human version... alien one isn't done yet. it you look it follows the style for the advanced Xcorps weapons and is far too blocky to be an alien weapon. Right now I'm only doing models we already have and getting them textured before I move on to new model creation. The only exception to this is the grenades which will take only a few hours to remake and texture. I'm doing them so we have a wider range of weapons in game.

Yeah, I noticed, but thought I'd ask, looks great ;)

BTW do you think we can get an update on the main site... might pull in some extra interest to see there's been progress :)

I think Kafros was doing the updates on the news, or maybe Mad?

No Alien version?

AWD has no control over what we make. We have an absolute list of assets to work from. How and when it's made are the factors we control. I hope this clears up some present and future confusion.

No Alien version?

AWD has no control over what we make. We have an absolute list of assets to work from. How and when it's made are the factors we control. I hope this clears up some present and future confusion.

I don't see how that is relevant to my question.

Ok here is the frag grenade... next up smoke grenade.

Do we need a flash bang too?

I don't think so. The only "grenades" I can find in the items list are:

And flashpod isn't a grenade, it's the light source for night missions.

Of course, you could check the assets list fux0r666 mentioned.