Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:50 AM

Quick summary for those with little time:

Janitor = fast and economic, good for up close fighting
Prophet = long ranged and better turn rate, good for long range attacks
Rendor = Ammo count on equip screen is halved. No waste at all.

Janitors against the Prophets, battle of the decade!

There are often debates on where you stand on which is the better missile launcher, the Janitor or the Prophet? Everyone has their reason for preferring one over the other.

After spending some time comparing the two launchers in the ufopaedia, I've come to the conclusion that there's nothing much to argue about. Oh, each launcher has a distinct advantage over the other - that's definitely not being questioned. Observe the stats of the two launchers.

Janitor

Damage: 22
Accuracy: 76%
Range: 250m
Rate of fire: 1.00 r/s
Capacity: 24
Turn Rate: 24
Ammo Cost: $110

Prophet
Damage: 26
Accuracy: 76%
Range: 350m
Rate of fire: 0.86 r/s
Capacity: 8
Turn rate: 32
Ammo Cost: $200

Note, I'm not including the weight as that doesn't really play much of a role. In either case, they're both the same weight anyway. Same goes for dimensions. I've also highlighted the stats on each launcher that makes the launcher unique.

See how close the two launchers are to each other in terms of how much damage they can deal out. A 4 point damage difference. That's the old X-Com UFO Pistol -v- Rifle debate all over again. Negligible at best. It's nothing like the difference between a Janitor -v- Retribution or a medium disrupter -v- large disrupter. If it were all about the damage, the Janitor would outstrip the Prophets in the long run despite being the weaker of the two by simple virtue of having more rounds (to be precise, by the 10th shot).

The stats lead me to believe that the Janitor is more economical and is ideal if you like to get in close and fire rounds continuously. The Janitor also excels at lasting much longer than the Prophet, making it ideal for participation in several air skirmishes before needing a top up. It fails at longer ranged attacks and has a slower turn speed. Basically the M4000 of the rocket world.

The Prophet missile is more expensive, but the extra price of each one is paid off by having a longer effective firing range and much tighter turns. Tight turns are good! It means they end up being more accurate. What hurts it the most however is the smaller ammo capacity. The Prophets run out very quickly. But they're still good for short and sweet air skirmishes.

Thinking about it, the Prophet is ideal for slower moving ships, like Hovercars and Hawks that you don't want too close to the action. The Janitor on the other hand is better to arm on faster moving ships that like to get up close to their target such as the Hoverbikes, eliminating the Janitor missile's distance and turn disadvantage. (edit: Mind you, that's not to say that you shouldn't arm Janitors on Hawks or Prophets on Hoverbikes - nothing wrong with that either)

I myself like to stick to lasers, but when I do use rockets I like to use a mix of the two. Or to be more truthful, I just buy the lot of them and use whatever's available. If ammo runs out, I just switch to another type or just bolt on a bolter. ;)

Breaking the Rendor Plasma misconception

The Rendor Plasma gun uses twice as much elerium to arm. It shows that it has 70 shots, but when you check the elerium used, 140 is removed from storage. Because of this, for years I've been of the belief that the Rendor is inefficient. But after a bit of experimentation, my stance has changed.

The Rendor plasma gun in fact uses a 1:1 ratio of elerium per beam. You do use up 140 elerium to fully charge the Rendor's 70 ammo capacity. But each unit of ammo is in fact worth 2 beams! That's right, the ammo count is halved for some inexplicable reason.

I armed up a Rendor on a hovercar, manually flew to the outskirts of the city and started firing away into the ground. After many clicks later (well past the expected 70), the gun was empty. I returned home and rearmed the rendor with my 2 units of remaining elerium. Sure enough, the Rendor showed 1/70 shots and I was able to get off 2 shots.

All these years and I thought it was wasteful. You can't take everything in the vehicle equip screen at face value. I'd still opt for the Lineage plasma cannons no matter the difference in efficiency, but it's good to know that you're not wasting your elerium by using the Rendor.

I haven't got access to Lineage cannons or multi-plasma turrets to test their efficiency at this time, but if anyone would like to give them a go, feel free. Speaking of the multi-plasma, I was surprised to see their 6.00rps firing rate. That's the same as the default hoverbike minigun.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 06 July 2007 - 02:42 AM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#2 Elros

Elros

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:09 AM

Interesting finds NKF. This is the first time I'm starting to regret declaring war on Marsec. I want prophets! :angry:

#3 NRN_R_Sumo1

NRN_R_Sumo1

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

I always knew the rendors werent a bad thing to use ^_^!
Even with your constant hassles about it, I still used them like a Fiend. :)
Me: Magic Eight Ball, do alien beings inhabit the earth?

Eight Ball: For the love of God, would you stop jiggling me! How can I predict the future when I'm about to throw up?!

#4 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

I'm still going to continue and encourage everyone to save their elerium for the Lineage regardless of this finding. Why waste elerium on a Rendor where a Bolter will do the job? Just throw in a few more Bolters to cover the difference! ^_^

- NKF

#5 NRN_R_Sumo1

NRN_R_Sumo1

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

140 shots of Elerlium costs less than a bolter am I right? ^^..
Its all about preferances really I suppose.

Eight Ball: For the love of God, would you stop jiggling me! How can I predict the future when I'm about to throw up?!

#6 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:19 AM

Slight correction there. The 140 elerium is just the upkeep cost. The cannon itself costs a few bucks more than a Bolter.

And just a quick price comparison based off prices found in a new game:

Bolter =$1000
Rendor = $2800
28 x Elerium ($20) = $2800

Yep, definitely a few bucks more. ;)

In the short term, the Rendor is obviously the better choice, but by the time you have UFOs that need a lot of firepower to shoot down, you should have access to better weapons.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 08 July 2007 - 05:37 AM.

#7 NRN_R_Sumo1

NRN_R_Sumo1

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

Yes but did you factor in the cost of another hover bike to put the second bolter on? ^^

Also, I use Rendors on my Biotrans, more often than I use disruptors Ill admit.
the fact that it can fit into that small space, and give a decent amount of range, Its really just a very useful thing to have!

From my experiance, the rendor can make such a huge differance on relations, that when the aliens accidently shoot someones buildings, they send hawks and hoverbikes after the Ufo's ^_^

err I just realized what I said and it didnt make much sense in itself, but I have Never been able to get those same results from a Lineage or bolter :)

#8 Steelion

Steelion

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

During an apocalypse mission, I had a building defence team (1 hawk, 1 valkyrie, a scattering of hovercars/bikes) completely demolish a couple destroyers.
What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm?
What is a thought, compared to the mind?
--
I R A SILLY GOOSE, apparently. Go figure.
--

I'm not dead! Really!

#9 NRN_R_Sumo1

NRN_R_Sumo1

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:56 PM

For two destroyers you should need.. Three hovercars.. ;)
Overkill is never a bad thing in Apoc though. ^_^

#10 Steelion

Steelion

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:15 PM

No, no. Not me. Another org's defense.
--
--

I'm not dead! Really!

#11 NRN_R_Sumo1

NRN_R_Sumo1

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

Ah, I see. Well you know what Im talking about exactly then ^_^

Edit: On a side note, I think Im becoming slowly obessed with these forums.
Almost every time theres a new post, I made it LOL
Oh Lord, I need to find something better to do.

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1, 08 July 2007 - 09:10 PM.

#12 Steelion

Steelion

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

Obsession is (almost) never a bad thing. (Almost)
--
--

I'm not dead! Really!

#13 Elros

Elros

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:16 AM

Except for most of the time? :P

#14 NRN_R_Sumo1

NRN_R_Sumo1

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:18 PM

Well, I figured out that Im obsessed after a quick glance at Steelions post count.
Hes been here a bit longer than me, yet I have 3 times the posts he does :|
Oh lord, I can see myself getting banned for accidently spamming.

#15 Steelion

Steelion

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

well, take into account that when i joined, i didn't post much, then i vanished for.. a few months. In another forum I've been in since mid-April this year I have almost 200 posts.

And in ANOTHER where I joined at about the same time as here, I have 350. (haven't posted in a month or so there. >_< Bad!)

So I'm just behind here. I have been picking it up...
--
--

I'm not dead! Really!

#16 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

One note about the prophet vs janitor: the prophet has a much greater firing arc than the janitor. It's even greater than that of the multi-plasma (which firing arc is equal to that of the disruptor beam weapons). This again makes it better suited for the slower ships.
edit: on the other hand this is also a cause of those ridicilous 'fire missile straight into a building' occasions

Edited by j'ordos, 17 August 2007 - 06:35 AM.

"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)