Windows 7 Issue

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_daithi81_*

Guest_daithi81_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hello, I am playing XCOM: UFO... on Windows 7 Enterprise and I am patching it with 'xcom_bugfix091.zip' found at http://www.xcomufo.com/x1dl.html

This patch fixed the blurred screen issue, but the colours come out all wrong. For example, the roads are multi-coloured in the terror stages, much like a disco dance floor! This is not so bad, however, the issue can become worse without warning, and the image is very grainy and thus difficult to play.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 Guest_daithi81_*

Guest_daithi81_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hello, I am playing XCOM: UFO... on Windows 7 Enterprise and I am patching it with 'xcom_bugfix091.zip' found at http://www.xcomufo.com/x1dl.html

This patch fixed the blurred screen issue, but the colours come out all wrong. For example, the roads are multi-coloured in the terror stages, much like a disco dance floor! This is not so bad, however, the issue can become worse without warning, and the image is very grainy and thus difficult to play.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

No one has encountered such an issue?

#3 Jenny

Jenny

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

I have personally not been able to get the Collector's Edition to work reliably on Windows 7. The few times it does work, it stutters, and the transitions between the geoscape and the air game take several seconds. Very annoying.

I'd suggest you try the DOS version, which runs very well in DOSbox. It's all I use these days, especially in combination with XcomUtil.
Posted Image

#4 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

You could also use Seb76's UFO extender which has it's own fix for the garbled screen and also has one for the pause when the music changes. Works fine on my Windows 7 64bit machine. It does not work with the DOS version.
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#5 Guest_daithi81_*

Guest_daithi81_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

The loader didn't work, either for the CE or normal edition...

:(

#6 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:59 AM

What happens when you run it? Don't forget to enable the settings you want in UFOExtender.ini.
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#7 Guest_daithi81_*

Guest_daithi81_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:03 AM

What happens when you run it? Don't forget to enable the settings you want in UFOExtender.ini.

Well, the game starts and the 'MICROPROSE' title appear, and then turns from purple to green. Then the intro starts, and the colours are clearly off. The next few screens work well, and then I am taken to the Geoscape. Everything looks ok except the menubar to the right, which is red and yellow, and can be difficult to read, as is most text in the game. Everything else works fine, but once in a while the graphics in the battle scene go haywire, and I can barely tell the difference between the buttons, and between characters. Once the battle is over, the graphics are normal again. Overall, the game is 95% perfect, but these little errors can ruin the game, at times.

I will look into the UFOExtender.ini, thanks.

Edited by daithi81, 18 June 2010 - 06:04 AM.

#8 Valken

Valken

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

I'm going windows 7 on my next pc build up soon but make sure you have the latest video drivers installed. This is one reason I'm still on Windows XP.

Reply to this topic