1) Install your collector's edition.
2) Install Seb76's UFO Extender. http://www.ufopaedia...76#UFO_Extender has it and the instructions how to use its features. Read the wiki page and the ReadMe included and tweak UFOExtender.ini to your heart's content! (If nothing else, search for D3D and make sure it says D3D=1. At least my new comp will show a black screen without it, and D3D also lets you play the game windowed if you want.)
3) Download the tweaked UFO Defense.exe by niklata and put it in your game folder http://www.xcomufo.c...topic=242035086 On newer machines the time runs pretty fast in geoscape even with the 5sec setting, this is more like it! (make sure UFOExtender.ini looks for "UFO Defense.exe" as the executable game file, it does by default though!)
ALTERNATIVE: Check out this AI tweak by kyrub! http://www.xcomufo.c...mp;#entry190377 He posts an .exe that's been modified to also slow down the game. Harder enemies and better timing! Great job!
Now your game is set and you can play with lots of bugfixes and such. The following optional parts are very much recommended though!
4) Unless you want the orignal mid-90s UFO experience where your soldiers exit their landing craft through its walls, download and install Zombie's/Bomb Bloke's battlescape fixes http://www.strategyc...ex.php?dlid=677
5) From V1.4 on all aliens do the cow-moo of floaters when dying, for some reason. This step brings back the proper death screams of the original pre-1.4 version. Download Mok's two part mod, but don't just extract to your game folder just yet: http://www.xcomufo.c...topic=242025565
You only need two files from the patch. Extract the patch into a temporary folder (or browse withing the rarred patch), and look for the SOUND folder with SAMPLE2.CAT and SAMPLE3.CAT within. Put SAMPLE2.CAT and SAMPLE3.CAT into the SOUND folder of your UFO game install (overwriting files as needed).
6) If you looked at UFOExtender's documentation already, you might have noticed better music for the game from the PSX version being mentioned. Well you can get that in mp3 format at: http://www.xcomufo.com/x1music.html
Make a new folder called mp3 in your game folder, download the 12 mp3s in there (the filenames are fine don't change them when downloading), make sure UFOExtender.ini is in order. (Apply=1, CD commented out, mp3 not commented out and the folder is correct.)
Thanks ThomasC for making the original idiot's guide back in Oct! http://www.xcomufo.c...topic=242034948
Any idiot dumb enough to still be reading could try this little thing I tried putting together. Extract to game folder. Contains all this stuff besides the music. You'll still want to look at the .ini and change it to suit your needs.
Edited by jaakes, 25 July 2011 - 10:03 AM.