just a heads up to you 3D guys, Alias just release a free version of maya

http://www.alias.com...ple/index.shtml

#2 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 06:48 AM

MAYA PLE is relatively useless for our purposes. File types are incompatible with real maya, renders automatically have a nasty watermark, and I don't believe there are any export commands to get models out to a different format to pull into another platform.

#3 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 07:13 AM

MAYA PLE  is relatively useless for our purposes. File types are incompatible with real maya, renders automatically have a nasty watermark, and I don't believe there are any export commands to get models out to a different format to pull into another platform.

and it has existed for months now ;)
IMO, it's not worth the huge download, even if u just wanna know what maya is like. the watermark is the biggest baddie since it doesn't let you show off your work (even if it's for non-commercial purposes) :P

Edited by SupSuper, 17 October 2003 - 07:16 AM.

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 07:41 AM

Vaaish and Sup are both right. I did download it and though it might be useful in a classroom environment where learning the prog is the focus, it is relatively useless for our purposes. If you're looking for a freebie modeller go for Gmax its based on 3dsmax and though there are differences and no renderer its good for modelling and animation.

Oh and I forgot to mention there are import and export scripts available for it too.