11 replies to this topic

#1 Thrawnkkar

Thrawnkkar

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 05:49 PM

HAve you gone to the people that hold the rights to UFO: Defence if you can do it? You might get funding from them for it. Just curious.

Other then that, ROCK ON! :rock: :rock: :rock:

#2 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3749 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 06:10 PM

We have written a message to Firaxis (or was it atari?) And we have gotten no reply. We are assumeing that they don't care about our project. If they don't like it, thats too damn bad, we have checked all legal matters! Right Micah?

Anyway, it would be nice to get them to pick up xenocide like valve picked up counter strike, but I don't think that is going to happen. :(
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#3 mamutas

mamutas

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:59 AM

Anyway, it would be nice to get them to pick up xenocide like valve picked up counter strike, but I don't think that is going to happen. :(

*** note to myself: never used a 'Fast reply' again, cause in most cases you are getting no replies! ***

As Cpl. has stated we have contacted the license owners, but we did not get any response. Nonetheless, we are making a game which will not use any of possibly copyrighted assets (art, names, etc.) and thus making us somehow immune to any possible legal matters.

As for getting funding or something, this is not likely to happen, as our game is open source project which cannot be licensed by anyone. Bad for them! :P

However, we will appreciate any help in developing the game whether it is code or art as long as it goes under the Open Source Foundation licenses. So, here is their chance to contribute and may be mentioned in the credits. :)

Edited by mamutas, 29 October 2003 - 12:00 PM.

mamutas@sourceforge.net

#4 Laitanyel

Laitanyel

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 03:34 AM

http://www.amazon.co...768#reader-page

If there already is a game called Xenocide, are this brand in danger then? Would you have to change your name for the game?

Edited by Laitanyel, 09 December 2003 - 03:34 AM.

#5 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2911 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 03:51 AM

This has been discussed for a million times and as far as I know, senior members are aware of this and has informed us there's NO problem. Don't remember the facts and reasons why but don't worry, we can keep the name.
There's no need for a sig..

#6 X-Clu-Zif

X-Clu-Zif

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 07:54 AM

Think that the reason is that the game in the end is not going to be named Xenocide...

#7 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2211 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 08:13 AM

our xenocide?

weill it is going to AFAIK.

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#8 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10527 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 08:57 AM

Oh it's Xenocide alright.

1 ) we aren't making money from it.
2 ) there have already been a million computer games called Xenocide. Ours is only similar to them in that earthlings fight aliens, something you'd sort of expect from a game called Xenocide.
3 ) the owners of the original "Xenocide" likely have no interest in exploring their legal options against us.
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

#9 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3234 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 10:03 AM

AFAIK nobody has registered a treadmark for the word Xenocide, that's the only way it would be an issue. As Stewart said, we are just 1 of many games with the name, there are several that have been out for years already. No issue.

#10 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3749 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 01:54 PM

FYI, that pic you showed us was a book! :hammer: :)
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#11 Laitanyel

Laitanyel

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 12:38 AM

FYI, that pic you showed us was a book

Hehe, well I know that it was a book. But for a boardgame called Xenocide. Anyways, there should be no problems then.

#12 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3234 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 11:39 PM

Merged topics discussing same ideas...