Ads?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2911 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 10:12 AM

Isn't there anyone who would like to put ads on this page? If you think about the amount of members and visitors here, you would think some firms would become interested in putting some ads on these pages? That would cover the expenses of keeping the site up now wouldn't it?

Has any firm contacted you yet micah?
There's no need for a sig..

#2 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3234 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 11:42 AM

Micah gets paypal donations that are used for purchasing things like official compilers and other legal goodies, but has declined on using any of it for supporting the website. He has stated that maintaining the site is his way of contributing to the project, and he doesn't want to use projects funds for it.

I for one would slap someone silly if they put ads on this site, that would drop its value a great deal IMO. The number of unique users we get each month is not very high, so actual cash from ads would be limited. Add the fact that people like me block 3rd party referrers and server redirection, and the number of ad hits goes even lower.

Sorry if I sound militant, but that's just me.

#3 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2283 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:12 PM

Breunor explained it quite well. The donations sent to the xcomufo account are all set aside for Xenocide, regardless of what the donator intended :) I've been approached by several companies, but turned them all down in favor of an ad-free website.

#4 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2911 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 04:38 AM

Keeping the site adfree kinda makes this site more cozy. Good decision I guess if you don't really need the money. I knew someone had contacted you micah. Even sites with lesser viewers gets offers so it just popped to my mind to ask out of curiosity.
There's no need for a sig..

#5 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3234 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 09:15 AM

There's a battlefield1942 clan that I'm in, and the guy who runs the servers has 4 that are dedicated monsters, and cost him like $350 a month each, and he pays 100% for it because he likes the game. Imagine spending $1400US a month because you like a game! Wow...

#6 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10527 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 12:15 PM

I could create a forum where member "announcements" could be located, of course there would be a moderation queue on it, I assume, it being understood that Micah would approve the threads/posts contained in that queue.

Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

#7 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2283 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 07:09 PM

I could create a forum where member "announcements" could be located, of course there would be a moderation queue on it, I assume, it being understood that Micah would approve the threads/posts contained in that queue.

What are you talking about? Are you in the right thread?

#8 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5059 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 07:14 PM

he's just gotta stay in shape, there's this one belgian guy... ^_^
not to mention he misses Gangsta... :rolleyes:

Edited by j'ordos, 29 December 2003 - 07:20 PM.

"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#9 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3234 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 09:02 PM

Don't mind Stewart, he's not right in the thread- :wacko: - drum roll please! :D

#10 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2283 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:11 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were you talking about a classifieds section? :Poke:

#11 dipstick

dipstick

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3006 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:59 AM

That took you a while :D

That's what? Over a year?? Man, you have a good memory :D Or a lot of time on your hands...
Posted Image

#12 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10527 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:23 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were you talking about a classifieds section? :Poke:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep! The forum is setup with a moderation queue so that nothing goes up before it is approved.
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

Reply to this topic