14 replies to this topic

#1 dipstick

dipstick

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 02:38 PM

How about having another human tech fighter craft?

You have to only research Artifical Intelligence, as it is unmanned, it is very small, but can go 3000(whatever it is). This would enable it to take out the scouts, but as it is so small it can only carry one weapon - stingray max. This would prove for some interesting battles. Maybe one laser cannon could be fitted as an upgrade?

As a side point, you could fit 4 of them in a standard hangar (ie one that fits one standard interceptor).

These scouts would cost around $200,000 and would only take a small time to build - say 3 days with 10 engineers or something. There would also be 2 provided for you at the beginning in addition to your standard interceptor.

Also, they would rarely need to land to refuel (need some reason why, maybe because they are so small) so they could be used for patrols to keep far away places free from UFOs.

Sound good?
Posted Image

#2 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:52 AM

Another human fighter would be nice.
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#3 dipstick

dipstick

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 01:04 PM

I mean, even one or two, esp like this sort of thing, woudl enhance the game immensely. It is so basic the current system of interception; you either completely overpower the UFO, it escapes by speeding up, or it blows you up. Not fun.
Posted Image

#4 Albino Crow

Albino Crow

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 05:08 PM

Great point. I can see these being very useful in the early stages of the game, unless you could somehow upgrade them later on. It also ties in with modern aviation weaponry. The US military is currently designing, and using multiple forms of craft called 'drones' that take-off, perform their mission, and land all on their own. Robots anyone?

#5 dipstick

dipstick

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 03:10 PM

Exactly, and would make the battles more exciting.

On a sidepoint; I just managed to make my skyranger take on a supply ship :D
Posted Image

#6 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:22 PM

Right, a small drone that could only equip cannons would be nice (although plasma cannons would still rule... oh well, at least ther'd be only one of them...
It would definitely add more options though, but i'd make it purchaseable (in the 300k range) instead of buildable...
After all, our engineers can build Avengers out of UFO pieces and PLasma Heavy weponry they did'nt know existed ten week before, but can they manufacture simple bullets?? Noooooooo....

Edited by Paladin, 29 July 2004 - 09:28 AM.

"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#7 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:21 PM

I think the original interceptor is fast enough. It would be nice to have PDWE's as a research item and from that you could develop the aurora. Then you could belay the ufos a bit while you bring the human technology up to its current theoretical pinnacle.

Here I go an angry brother gonna make his move
But can I buck him in the city so I never lose?
See I'm a get him in the crowd with a couple heavies
And lay the barrel to the ground, hold the gat steady
And now I'm ready for my adversary, talk is cheap
I'm looking for a way to make a plan gonna keep it neat
So don't be telling me to get the non-violent spirit
'cause when I'm violent is the only time the devils hear it
'cause all I want to see is m****f***ing brains hanging

Posted Image

#8 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:20 PM

It wouldn't take 3 days to build an artificial intelligence. Adn don't forget, the aliens may get new ships, but i think a small, fast, and easily destroyed fighter would work well
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#9 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:32 AM

It wouldn't take 3 days to build an artificial intelligence.  Adn don't forget, the aliens may get new ships, but i think a small, fast, and easily destroyed fighter would work well

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, it would take YEARS...
I always found those XCOM experimental aircrafts exceptionnaly reliable for thing that were jurry-rigged together by only scratching the surface of technological marvels a million years ahead of us... :stupid:
Think like the "Taken" series... they could'nt even find the engine, or what material the craft was made of... :D
Accidents would be bound to happen sometimes (oops, we got 13 scientists killed in an explosion... and the Ethereal commander got loose... :LOL:)

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

#10 Gryx

Gryx

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 05:46 PM

Hey, does anyone remember that cool looking VTOL fighter in the introducation sequence of "Ufo Defense"? (you can also see it in the background when you land at a ufo site)

It's not a interceptor 'cause interceptors do carry troops and it's definitely not a skyranger. I think it's a fighter/transport hybrid and it would fit in well with the two other human ships.

Besides, it looks cool :D

#11 The Master Maniac

The Master Maniac

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:34 PM

Looks like I wasn't the only one unsure about what the heck that thing was. :) That would be a cool ship, with a couple of original modifications, of course.

But the idea of a new "scout" class human fighter sounds great. Like a search drone for snooping out alien bases or something. Nice suggestion.

#12 Guest_alex the greater_*

Guest_alex the greater_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:12 PM

i like the idea of a drone maby like the preditor drone used by the us army

#13 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:08 AM

Hey, does anyone remember that cool looking VTOL fighter in the introducation sequence of "Ufo Defense"? (you can also see it in the background when you land at a ufo site)

It's not a interceptor 'cause interceptors do carry troops and it's definitely not a skyranger. I think it's a fighter/transport hybrid and it would fit in well with the two other human ships.

Besides, it looks cool :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was what the Skyranger was supposed to look like, but it seems even back in those days most games were rushed to the finish line half done...
Yeah, it looked Uber cool! :Blush:

Then again, the crafts for Xenocides are going to be wickedly cool too, even better to my taste since they look more realistic (aka less cartoony). :happybanana:

#14 Tortanick

Tortanick

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:46 AM

Speeking of VTOLs, why not have a fighters that can land on the countryside, this will make intercepting easyer, attacking from sevral sides rather than just from your base.

#15 Khai

Khai

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:15 PM

This would be cool, it'd be nice to have another interceptor from alien tech in addiction to the avenger replacement too, but its not necessary I'd say.