13 replies to this topic

#1 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:40 PM

I know that the heavy cannon is highly useful. But only on the higher difficulties. But what about the heavy laser. Is the same for it? I really wanted to know.
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#2 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:28 PM

A lot of people really enjoy the heavy laser. It's a good weapon, but its less than stellar speed is the main crippling factor - nevermind the minor decrease in accuracy (note, it's still more accurate than the laser pistol). Accuracy, however, is a very minor issue as veteran soldiers can easily compensate for this.

I think it's because most players compare the heavy laser against the heavy plasma, as they pretty much occupy the same slot in their respective weapon heirarchies. In a direct comparison, the heavy plasma wins, hands down. Even though it doesn't do double damage to sectopods, it can still hit more frequently on the same turn.

Like the laser pistol, in the arms of a seasoned veteran, the heavy laser can be very deadly. It's not a good scout weapon, but it makes a fine sniper weapon.

I still prefer the laser tank's version of the heavy laser, which is identical in strength to the plasma hovertank. It really packs a punch against sectopods.

Me, I like the heavy laser because it looks cool, though I wouldn't mind a weaker gatling laser. There is actually an unused (three, actually) weapon slot in the UFO object table that has stats for what looks like a gatling laser. Weaker than the laser pistol, and extremely heavy for a squad combat weapon, but it's truly an amazing weapon when you get to try it. I made a substitute obdata.dat file if anyone wants to try it. I'll attach a copy when I find a copy. I know I have it somewhere.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 13 May 2004 - 11:34 PM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#3 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:46 PM

:o ........Wow! I gotta get me that. Cool. Just, does it work, and does it mess up the game..I have CE

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image

#4 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:45 AM

It won't mess up the game as long as you remember to backup your original geodata\obdata.dat file before you replace it.

It's not a proper weapon so it will look a bit odd. On the ground it looks like an autocannon. In the inventory screen it looks like a laser rifle (and has the same dimensions). In your hands it looks like an ordinary rifle.

I'll just post its stats so you can all drool over it rather than actually download it. :)

Damage 40 laser (worse than the las. pistol)
Auto accuracy 50%, firing cost 15% (6 autoshots a turn!!)
Snap accuracy 65%, firing cost 30% (bleh!)
Aim Accuracy 80%, firing cost 60% (bluh!)
Weight: 22 (Heavy lasers are just 18).
Two-handed

As you can see, it's a lousy gun except for its autoshot. The only trouble you'll have with it is against aliens with heavy armour, like superhuman sectopods. Still, I suppose its flaws are good thing.

Please do keep in mind that it's really just a collection of unused data left over by the programmers. I had to make a few minor tweaks to make it a legal weapon. Would've made a great replacement for the existing heavy laser.

There's one other unusual unused weapon. A slightly slower and slightly less accurate standard pistol that's 1x1 inventory slots in size. The pistol we've got is way better.

For those that want to test the laser (it's called 'empty' in the object file - actually, there's three copies of them):

1. Grab the attached zip file (sorry: I don't have any zip to exe facilities at the moment)
2. Extract the file into your geodata\ directory. But before you do this make a BACKUP of the geodata\obdata.dat file!

When you want your old weapons back just replace/overwrite geodata\obdata.dat with your backup and it will be as if nothing ever happened. Hurrah.

Do note that this obdata.dat uses the weapons from a clean install of UFO. If you have any other weapon mods or the XComutil advanced weapons, you'll need to reapply them. Your old weapon mods will still be there in your backup.

I don't know how to enable the six disabled objects so that you can add them to the Skyranger. Instead I've replaced the laser pistol's stats with the 'empty' cannon's stats.

Word of advice: All thing considered, this weapon is actually a weaker but more accurate laser pistol, until you start using its autoshot. So don't use it for anything but that. Also note: It's a crummy reaction shot weapon.

Okay, I think I've sidetracked enough. Let's get back on the rails eh? Where were we? Heavy lasers. Right. Um, they're like, heavy. Yeah. ;)

- NKF

Attached Files

Edited by NKF, 14 May 2004 - 01:48 AM.

#5 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:52 AM

But is it good enouph to use, or do I just use the heavy plasma? I don't want to waste time or money on a useless weapon. But cool gun

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
Posted Image

#6 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:15 PM

Think of it this way, it's a machine gun. Machine guns might not do heavy damage with each individual bullet, but with a torrent of bullets, it ends up dealing tons of damage.

With a bit of math: 6 autoshots, 3 shots per autoshot, 40 damage. Total it up and we have a grand total of 720 damage, which isn't much (at least compared to how much a heavy plasma can deal per turn), but it lets you deal damage 18 times.

You'll still need to use something against units with 80 and more armour. Few aliens have that much armour. Sectopod will still need stun bombs and heavy laser/plasmas to handle, but that's expected of them. Mutons might need a beating.

Give it a few tries and make up your own mind.

- NKF

#7 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 02:05 PM

Actually, untill all my guys zaps around up close with fyling armors, I use one or two Heavy lasers per squad, because like all Lasers it does'nt use amno!!! :o
Sure, The heavy Plasma have nice autofire mode, but it empties clips easilly... All of my guys carry a backup Laser Rifle just in case... Far too usefull and easier to use.
Besides, I will always have fond memories of the Heavy laser since a good sniper of mine aimed shot the damn Blaster Launcher alien from accros the entire battlescape (and through an apple orchard mind you), so at the very least I keep them for my rookies to train on, less waste of Amno... (wich otherwise costs Elirium :D )

Then again, The autocannon is the only weapon I still use beginning t'ill end... Explosive autofire bullets are just too much fun to use and easy to hit, and incendiary are just perfect for night missions (xcept terrors of course :LOL: )

I know that the heavy cannon is highly useful.  But only on the higher difficulties.  But what about the heavy laser.  Is the same for it?  I really wanted to know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#8 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:52 AM

Heavy laser is my replacement for the heavy cannon (whereas Heavy plasma replaces autocannon).

The reason I carry a heavy cannon at all is to make war against

the terrain. The Heavy Laser is even better at this, plus should I run across a sectopod it's not a bad weapon for a man to have available.

The one item of equipment I haven't found a use for is

The Incendiary rocket, but that's the subject of anouther thread hereabouts.
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

#9 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:43 AM

INCENDIARY rockets burn sectopods. :devilburn: muhahaha. Die, stupid furry creatures!

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
Posted Image

#10 centurion

centurion

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 800 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:22 PM

INCENDIARY rockets burn sectopods.  :devilburn:  muhahaha.  Die, stupid furry creatures!

Furry sectopods :blink: ?
Endure; in enduring, grow strong.
- Dak'kon

Help us getting Civ2 code: http://forums.civfan...p...age=1&pp=20 !

#11 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:31 PM

Reapers are the fuzzy ones. Personally, I always thought they looked leathery.

Sectopods would burn four times as fast too, but only assuming each quarter gets set on fire. But I imagine even with four times fire damage, they would still have enough health to outlast the flames.

- NKF

#12 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:32 PM

whoops, i meant REapers. I still had sectopods on my mind

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
Posted Image

#13 centurion

centurion

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 800 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:18 AM

Or something like this?

Attached Thumbnails

• furry.GIF

Endure; in enduring, grow strong.
- Dak'kon

Help us getting Civ2 code: http://forums.civfan...p...age=1&pp=20 !

#14 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:25 AM

heyy, that's kinda cool.

What did you bring to show and tell
******? I brought a reactopod. What is that? It is like these fuzzy little creatures, but it also has a mechanical head and 2 plasma cannons. It's also homicidal!

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
Posted Image