9 replies to this topic

#1 Tiberius_51

Tiberius_51

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:05 AM

Something weird just happened to me. Alright, I transfer some devastator cannons amongst my bases to for base defence stuff. Anyways, I get a warning that I am out of storage space at my manufacturing base. I figure my biotransports are ready, so I check. Sure enough, I had three new shiny ships to be sold.

So, I sell the the suckers for a little bit of cash and try reassigning the workshop. It tells me that I still don't have any storage space left and I'm saying, "WTF, how can that be." I go to my inventory and everything looks fine.

Then I notice this:
---------------------
Posted Image
---------------------
And after the sale of the mysterious cannons:
Posted Image
:happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana:

Now, wth happened that I suddenly got that many cannons?

edit: redid the pictures

Edited by Tiberius_51, 09 August 2004 - 10:10 AM.

#2 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:51 PM

Something weird just happened to me.  Alright, I transfer some devastator cannons amongst my bases to for base defence stuff.  Anyways, I get a warning that I am out of storage space at my manufacturing base.  I figure my biotransports are ready, so I check.  Sure enough, I had three new shiny ships to be sold.

So, I sell the the suckers for a little bit of cash and try reassigning the workshop.  It tells me that I still don't have any storage space left and I'm saying, "wtf, how can that be."  I go to my inventory and everything looks fine.

Then I notice this:
---------------------
Posted Image
---------------------
And after the sale of the mysterious cannons:
Posted Image
:happybanana:  :happybanana:  :happybanana:  :happybanana:  :happybanana:

Now, wth happened that I suddenly got that many cannons?

edit:  redid the pictures

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, that's a bug with xcom3 you can sometimes get, I don't know what causes it, or how to fix it, but I know it's there :D
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#3 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:54 PM

There is some sort of bug with transferring equipment around your bases.
It doesn't properly check some value, to make sure you don't send more cannons than you actually have.

This bug seems to happen when you have multiple bases doing transfers. I'm not exactly sure how it works, though.

The equipment screen keeps track of equipment as a 16 bit signed value. That goes from -32767 to 32768. The storage space is a 16 bit unsigned value. It goes from 0 to 65535. I think that may have something to do with the bug, but I'm still not sure.

Any way, you hit the Jackpot! Enjoy your loads and loads of cash, Tiberius. Go get yourself 45 engineers (so you can buy 5 new ones to keep upgrading) and 30 QPs and 20 Bios. Also, get yourself about 100 soldiers, and train them to godlike status. You have the money for it, that's for sure. :D
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#4 Tiberius_51

Tiberius_51

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:53 PM

:devillaugh: This game must love me cuz it happened again! I've now officially banked:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And yes, the glitch has to do with the problems of 16-bit integers. I was going to equip my soldiers with incendiary grenades when I noticed that the inventory display on the equipping screen showed "-2" Devastator Cannons. I'm trying to figure out how to consistently reproduce this glitch, but it definitely has to do with multiple transfers between bases.

I was transporting cannons amongst 3-4 of my bases, with swapping in a round-robin fashion. This was all done at the same time, which has to be a critical factor in this process. If I can succesfully repeat this glitch several times, I think all of our money problems will be solved. :rock:

#5 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:17 PM

This is known as the 65535 widget bug.

Unresearched alien objects that appear on both the ground and air vehicle screens tend to be easy to mess up in this manner. You see, the game forgets to update the transfer bar for unresearched objects between the two screens. So if you have one small disrupter shield and you send it to the next base from the ground vehicle screen, then switch over to the air vehicle screen, it'll still look as though the shield hasn't been transferred. If you transfer it again, and then complete the transaction, the game removes two shields instead of just the one. So you end up with -1 shields. As mentioned before, object storage is stored as an unsigned 16-bit integer, the game sees -1 as 65536. I'd have to get really technical to explain why this is happening. ;) Anyone taking a computer science course will eventually learn this.

If you don't mind the complete loss of space in the base (buy a new base and litter it with defence stations and android guards), and you have no qualms in cheating, this is a great way to ensure that you never need to worry about building a small disrupter shield ever again! Coincidentally, after selling a few thousand shields at its base price value (an unthinkable act in a normal game), you never need to worry about money for the rest of the game. i.e. it doubles as a money 'cheat' as well. :) You can still bring stuff over by manually transporting it and unloading equipment at the base - you just can't buy or transfer equipment via transtellar.

The game seems to update the transfer bars between the two screens properly once the object has been researched. However, I'm sure there may be some ways to get the 65535 widget bug with known items.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 09 August 2004 - 11:22 PM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#6 Tiberius_51

Tiberius_51

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:54 PM

Well NKF, it appears that this "65535 widget bug" appears for devastator cannons at all times because I've pulled it off 5 times. At this point I'm sitting pretty on about $740 million, which is a clear indication that this is reproducible. I think people need to check into this thoroughly to figure out the exact set of circumstances required to pull this off.

#7 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:25 PM

so you can do this with any type of ammo, as long as it is in both ground and sections?
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#8 Tiberius_51

Tiberius_51

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:20 AM

New update: I have now done this 6 times and I think I've figured out exactly what has to be done. Here are the guidelines as best I can figure them.
1) Can ONLY be done with devastator cannons.
2) MUST be done immediately after a raid, as soon as the supplies have arrived. Is not affected by whom you raid.
3) Requires a minimum of 3 bases.
4) You must transfer MORE cannons from a base than it had before the transfers. Also, all transfers MUST be done SIMULTANEOUSLY.

I will illustrate this with a 3-base example, with bases A, B, and C, assuming that A is where the cannons were brought after the raid.
a) Transfer all of the cannons for A to B.
B) Transfer cannons from B to C. The number doesn't seem to be important, but this should be checked.
c) Transfer a number of cannons from C to A that is greater that the number of cannons transferred from A to B in step a).
d) Transfer all of the cannons from A to B.

At this point, hit OK and wait for the transfers to complete. If the glitch worked, you should have about 65530+ cannons. Also, in your equip soldiers screen, if you have soldiers at base A, the number of dev. cannons should be some negative number. Once you have all your cannons, sell them all for somewhere between $175-$350 million, depending on their resale value.

A couple of things to note:
------------------------------
- This glitch may be somewhat inconsistent, so don't expect it to work every time.
- If you have more than 3 bases, follow the steps above, but make sure you transfer to each base. For example: A->B, B->C, C->D, etc. until the final base is reached. Then transfer from the last base to base A like in step c).
------------------------------

Hope this helps people! B)

Edited by Tiberius_51, 12 August 2004 - 08:26 AM.

#9 Tuoppi

Tuoppi

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:51 AM

I've had this thing too... with bought goods. Don't remember details but i think that it had something to do with that transtellat got hostile when thingies were in the air...

#10 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:22 PM

A variation of this bug.
Justice will be dispensed by cannonade and cutlass, and all manner of remorseless pieces of metal.

Take one more step, and I swear, I will kill you so hard you will die to death.