I see that ?"Save/load using F2/F3 buttons is only permitted for hotseat games."in the 0.9.1142 release. Does it mean that it is impossible now to continue a network game when one player dropped due to some network or power problem? If yes, it is a drawback.
The new beta applies a bunch of new fixes which should improve reliability.
A short answer: it's a diffrent F3 key, so resuming network play still should be possible.
Now a longer answer.
Let's take a look at chess game as an example. Any position in the game can be saved and reconstructed later in at least two ways:
1. Just just write down the position of each piece on the board, that's it, Reconstruction is also straightforward - just put each piece in its right place.
2. Remember initial pieces placement (and this is even not necessary for chess, because all games start from the same state), then keep track of the log of all moves since the start of the game. Reconstruction is done by resetting the game to the initial state and replaying all the moves.
The resuming of an interrupted ufo2000 game by pressing F3 key in the server chat is done via method 2.
But ufo2000 engine also supports method 1, it is used mostly for debugging purposes and also the ability to remember the game state and restore it later is used for hotseat game implementation:
1 turn starts and the game remembers its state
2 the player does something and the sequence of his actions is rememebered
3. the player presses 'end turn' button
4. the game restores the state from the saved point, and replays the sequence of actions ('hidden movement' phase)
5. once the replay is done, repeat from step 1. but for another player
The big problem was that method 1 of saving/restoring the game state was also available in the network play by mistake, and binded to F2/F3 keys. If somebody uses this feature in a network game accidentally (or intentionally trying to cheat using something like save scumming), this leads to the game state synchronization problems. Due to the fact that the game state was reloaded only for one player, the players start to live in "alternative realities", it may become even that they use different maps. So the only right solution was to disable this F2/F3 saving/restoring (mis)feature for the network play, it was never intended to be there. Resuming the interrupted network game is done in a completely different way.
Well, that was the intention. But if you notice that anything got wrong with the new ufo2000 beta, don't hesitate to report bugs.