XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Aliens Vs Zerg

Adun_Toridas

Vote!!!  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh ninthrank bud... i say Zergs are far more than aliens, as they are easily defeated by 30 or more human agents (not so good for an alien empire) and can defeat the military forces of earth, only by their technology...

Now, infested terran does not get their explosive power from their equipment. They get it from chemical reactions inside them, and those reactions comes from their evolution (the overmind choses to use them that way).

Finally... lets not understimate organic tech, as it can also be as fatal as any other ones. Remember, there are no limit for tech (organic/evolved or not).

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am inclined to ask one rethorical question..: Who is better, the aliens or the protoss?

Now that's a debate where the aliens would be on their own level.. artificial tech and psi-troopers.

IMHO that debate doesn't need to go far for everyone to see that the protoss are far more advanced and deadly then UFO aliens. The zerg are quite a challenge for the protoss, ergo, the aliens are nothing for the zerg.

A second example.. The aliens were defeated by humans of the 20th century.. imagine what humans from the starcraft era would do to them (i can already see Edmund Duke responding to an alien's threat... apocalypse-class missiles anyone? :P )

On a second hand, there is a good time span between the 20th century and starcraft era.. but, as anyone who read Doom novels might point out.. aliens who see their enemies as puny monkeys do not see the need to worry with further technological advances :)

It is also quite debatable that aliens in X-Com 3 are more dangerous than aliens in X-Com 1 and 2 (and 4 and 5 maybe, haven't played them either). Just look at how they've enslaved sectoids :P

Apocalypse aliens are a collection of random species enslaved by a super influenza virus - i.e. puddles of psionic green goop. Reminds me of the the Zergs, really. Only difference is that rather than a central mind, their minds are distributed.

Perhaps they're just taunting the sectoid race by feeding them to their thralls. Then again, these sectoids are probably civilians or maybe they're captured human pets (earth engineered sectoids - for use in making hybrids is my theory) who don't know much about fighting. But really, who knows - there's this big blank Apocalypse leaves behind.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

man, if i had money.. won the lottery or anything like that i would pay the gollops to make apocalypse just as they intended it to be. Think they own the x-com community that.. leaving those features in the game as non-functional left overs.. that's mean.

The only reason that X-COM is able to defeat the Aliens is the AI. Or just A without an I. :) For example, all that the Aliens would have to do to shut down X-COM is to do every terror site as a set of three. X-COM is incapable (at the beginning) of dealing with three simultaneous terror sites. Another one is that X-COM could never capture any Alien technology if the Aliens used a dead man's switch, holding a primed grenade at all times. They could also suspend all UFO missions after any interceptions until the culprit X-COM base has been found, or save up and build a single Battleship to do all missions, etc.. So humans of the Twentieth Century cannot defeat the Aliens; they can only defeat the AI.

LOL If only we could vote on everything, we might be able to change some very inconvenient things! Right now, I feel like time should stop for me so that I can have more of a weekend... all in favor say "Aye!" LOL ahem... Anyway, of course the Aliens will win the vote. This is an X-COM forum, after all. So we have to prove it, as well as believe. :)

Now, my suspicion about the Aliens is that they were -- all intelligent, no animals except the terror units -- "assimilated" by the Great Brain, or whatever other master race; however, none of them came from Mars. In fact, the invasion of earth could have been just a (relatively) small research project to see if seeding planets and then harvesting them was practical. Or maybe that was the method by which the Brain's race got all of their minions, they just never expected it to backfire. Or maybe backfires are common, it is just never a big deal: the project did not succeed, no problem, just glass the planet later. This explains why Aliens do not use massively destructive WMD's (Ruivo mentioned Apocalypse Class Missiles) -- they are trying to harvest humans to supercede Ethereals -- and also why they increment their technology gradually -- things are not going well, so the Brain petitions its leaders for access to Blaster Launchers. It also explains why X-COM won the first two Alien Wars, humanity emerged into space, and... guess who's back!! Anyway, under this model, the Aliens have been assimilating races for eons, just like the Zerg; however, the Aliens have assimilated sentient races and have taken a more technological approach rather than a biological one. Unfortunately, because Aliens do not demonstrate their mega-nukes, we cannot assume that they have them. Still, it seems unlikely that a race which has mastered interplanetary (probably interstellar and maybe intragalactic or even intergalactic) travel has never just set out to build a big bomb. It is, therefore, my opinion that the Aliens from X-COM 1 do possess greater-than-nuclear weapons, and that they have simply never had occasion to use them.

P.S.: Reading over this, the gist of it is that there are far more Aliens than you will see in all of the games put together; therefore feel free to ignore it. ;) I hope that it was interesting, though. :)

Well its pretty clear that this topic is never going to come to a solution as Whats his face keeps saying with a Very closed mind how "Superior" the Zerg are..

The votes clearly show that Aliens clearly beat out the zerg.

topic done. [:

OK, now go and post this very topic in a SC forum, so we can see how the votin` goes...

OK, now go and post this very topic in a SC forum, so we can see how the votin` goes...

Well said!

I am inclined to ask one rethorical question..: Who is better, the aliens or the protoss?

Now that's a debate where the aliens would be on their own level.. artificial tech and psi-troopers.

IMHO that debate doesn't need to go far for everyone to see that the protoss are far more advanced and deadly then UFO aliens. The zerg are quite a challenge for the protoss, ergo, the aliens are nothing for the zerg.

Well, now, stacked Disruptor Shields are nothing to sneeze at, on the ground (at the troop level) or in the air.

Before going any farther, however, one question I have not seen satisfactorily addressed: is this the Zerg versus every single X-COM Alien from X-COM:EU to Enforcer, just X-COM 1 Aliens, or X-COM and the Aliens together against the StarCraft universe in general?

Zergs vs Alliens only, my friend... There has been another topics relatin` to terran and toss agains alliens, and SC guys against Xcom ones.

Edit: Specially, cause if it were against all SC world... well... toss are another matter with their superior psionics...

Edited by Adun_Toridas

Zergs vs Alliens only

Very well, so we are talking about Ethereals with dual Heavy Plasmas, no armor (except their tough cloaks, of course :D ), dual Disruptor Shields, Vortex Mines and Sonic Pulsers as special abilities, auto-psi attacks at 2x their visual range (no need to see the enemy), the ability to switch to flying, and no training allowed. (Basically covering all the games.)

The real question now is "Who can control more resources?" What did you think of my Aliens hypothesis? Totally disagree?

BTW, the Zerg have no WMD's, correct?

Well, the closest to something like that are the infested terrans. But they're no way as devesatating in a wide area like a Terran nuke.

Don't forget you can toss out Sectopods or Lobstermen out in front to soak up the damage for the Ethereals. Poppers, Cyberdiscs and Biodrones are also counterparts for the one-off weapons of confined destruction that the Zergs throw out too.

I've always said - the race from your favourite game will be the clear winner - no matter how convoluted the arguments or spin you put on your favourite race to bring it on top. Hence why I've never voted - it's more fun that way. Good management of resources and a bit of strategy is what it takes - and would probably even lead a war batallion of Smurfs to victory if we stretched things that far. ;)

As for the Protoss - It's not disputed that they're all about psi - but the few units that use psi directly for combat (As opposed to using a weapon crafted or powered with psi) are the Templars with their lightning storms and the Dark Archon's complete mind control (and other whizz-bang abilities, of course!). All the other units use it more for maintenance purposes though, don't they? Like keeping their psi blades sharp and live or running/controlling their plasma weapons and vehicles? The rest are robotic drones controlled psionically like the drones (heh), observers and the reavers. I get the feeling they're a bit like Ethereals and use psi to support their bodies somewhat as well. Definitely very psi reliant with robotic support.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

that's hard for me.. i shouldn't force my mind that much trying to defend both sides :P It's a big dilemma for me.. I like UFO and i like SC.. the aliens and the zerg.. plasma rifles and gauss rifles.. firestorms and wraiths :(

Well, the closest to something like that are the infested terrans. But they're no way as devesatating in a wide area like a Terran nuke.

Don't forget you can toss out Sectopods or Lobstermen out in front to soak up the damage for the Ethereals. Poppers, Cyberdiscs and Biodrones are also counterparts for the one-off weapons of confined destruction that the Zergs throw out too.

I've always said - the race from your favourite game will be the clear winner - no matter how convoluted the arguments or spin you put on your favourite race to bring it on top. Hence why I've never voted - it's more fun that way. Good management of resources and a bit of strategy is what it takes - and would probably even lead a war batallion of Smurfs to victory if we stretched things that far.

As for the Protoss - It's not disputed that they're all about psi - but the few units that use psi directly for combat (As opposed to using a weapon crafted or powered with psi) are the Templars with their lightning storms and the Dark Archon's complete mind control (and other whizz-bang abilities, of course!). All the other units use it more for maintenance purposes though, don't they? Like keeping their psi blades sharp and live or running/controlling their plasma weapons and vehicles? The rest are robotic drones controlled psionically like the drones (heh), observers and the reavers. I get the feeling they're a bit like Ethereals and use psi to support their bodies somewhat as well. Definitely very psi reliant with robotic support.

- NKF

This post has been edited by NKF: Today, 01:29 AM

Smurfs are nothing to be taken lightly Nkf.

They ran rampaging through Europe during the 12th Century and were known as "The Blue Beath" :D

The real question now is "Who can control more resources?" What did you think of my Aliens hypothesis? Totally disagree?

mmm about resources... don`t forget that (if overmind really wants to) it can orientate resources from all the galaxy to a point (as it ocurred with the psi emmiter... well it was not the overmind but just to give an idea, there were trillions of zergs in that very moment).

And aliens... well, as far as i can see they can only get the elerium from mars. And... you know... lets make the overmind capture some ethereals or sectoid leaders (commanders are not so necesary, as zergs don`t need the exact location of the base... just rushing the whole planet would be enough)... and you can guess whats next (mmm got a rhime XD).

mmm about resources... don`t forget that (if overmind really wants to) it can orientate resources from all the galaxy to a point (as it ocurred with the psi emmiter... well it was not the overmind but just to give an idea, there were trillions of zergs in that very moment).

Actually, the psi emitter merely attracted the Zerg that were already there. I do not know if this is what you meant, but it did not make any sort of dimensional gate or wormhole, it just lured that Zerg onto the planet. Of course, the Overmind can always command its minions to go wherever it wants them to.

I've always said - the race from your favourite game will be the clear winner - no matter how convoluted the arguments or spin you put on your favourite race to bring it on top. Hence why I've never voted - it's more fun that way. Good management of resources and a bit of strategy is what it takes - and would probably even lead a war batallion of Smurfs to victory if we stretched things that far. ;)

True, but this is way more fun, more civil, and probably more productive than arguing about religion or politics (which would both follow the same dynamic). :)

Edited by NinthRank

Site policy is no religious discussions, period. So feel free to post a reply about your thoughts on Starcraft or X-COM as long as it doesn't dive into religion. :wink1:

- Zombie

I'm not sure what's wrong with me, but for some reason that Hydralisk makes me feel very hungry.

It's probably just a heap of wacky associations at work here...

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I was thinking more of barbequed cuttlefish myself, lightly brushed down with a oil and honey sauce mixture (hence the glossiness). The arms do remind me of crab though.

Apocalypse aliens on the other hand generally put me off my food.

Starcraft earns a point in my "Makes me Hungry" category! ;)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 3 months later...

Pitting the zerg up against the aliens is silly. The zerg really have no hope in heck. Have you played through all of the starcraft campaigns? The zerg cerebrates are barely able to control their own minions with their weak telepathy. They are a young race with no technology other than their bio tech. The aliens on the other hand are an ancient race that have conquered other races and have entire races under mind control. heck I bet a couple ethereals and if not ethereals then surely some alien device could disrupt the primitive cerebrates and in very very very short order the aliens would have the zerg under their own control. ZERO blood shed and instant victory.

heck the damn zerg would be VERY susceptive to the aliens advanced mind control technology. The shuckeroonies the aliens could do with their tech LOL... At least with humans we stand a chance against them because we were not quickly evolved like the zerg were with the intention of control through telepathy.

Basically Zerg vs Aliens is like this. Aliens get a new race that we have to deal with....

• 1 month later...

well... i guess it would be harder to MC a Zerg than a human by the way that Zergs don`t have a mind to MC... Moreover, Cerebrates (and therefore Overmind) are not psi weaklings as they have not justo quickly evolved.

Zergs are product of genetic engineer manipulation by a superub civilization. Furthermore, ethereals dont have that kind of disrupting device so... what a shame for aliens trying to defeat the trillions of Zergs that attacked humans in Tarsonics battle XD

Heh, that sounds just like the aliens. Ethereals aren't psi weaklings either, and they are a product of genetic engineering and they report to a central brain authority as well who oversees their activities (but probably doesn't bother about all the minutia - like whether ethereal #21,234,1234 needs to go and use the 'facilities'). They assimilate other cultures into their own to bolster their ranks too.

Apart from the unknown reproduction rate of the Zergs, they sound pretty much the same. UFO aliens just have the hokey B-movie little green men with ray gun sci-fi feel to them, whereas Zergs feel like they're right out of the Alien series. ;)

I think the individual zergs do have a mind - if only to have something for the overmind they're assigned to get ahold of and control and to operate their own basic bodily functions like moving, eating, breathing, etc. Like the ethereals and their muton thralls. Mutons would have to have some minds of their own so that they could act semi-independently of the ethereals, but they are completely subservient and take orders from their Ethereal masters.

Like I said before, your favourite race always wins. Lately I've been feeling inclined to toss out the UFO and the Starcraft aliens and back my battle Smurfs. ^_^

- NKF

• 5 months later...