About Names

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:41 PM

Should we take suggestions and make polls for names for [Facilities] and [Weapons]?
I mean, for facilities at least I can't think of many suggestions, we cannot stray much from the purpose of the facility. [Laboratory] cannot be much other than Laboratory itself, maybe Research Lab, or something very alike.
And about weapons, the starting weapons are pistols and rifles, equipment has been voted, so how to name the [Pistol] other than Pistol?.
So, what do you think?, more suggestions for [Facilities] and [Weapons]?

#2 Astyanax

Astyanax

Xnet Proof Task Force

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 03:47 AM

Well, if it's not too much work, I'd like to continue seeing the polls- I think it's fun! Some of the more "obvious" entries like Pistols and Laboratories just make it more challenging. Maybe Personal Sidearm or the actual name of the gun (i.e. Glock or Beretta); Experimental Science Facility or Research Center.

If it's more hassle than it's worth, I can understand. But maybe we can run more polls concurrently?

-Asty
EXCLUSIVE: Read the top-secret Creative Text Department Status Report by the Xenocide Internal Investigation Department!

#3 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:43 AM

How about a poll to see whether the majority wants more polls or not? :P
Seriously, I can see no harm in making those other polls, we can only get better names than 'pistol', and if we don't then we just use 'pistol' :D
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#4 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:34 AM

Well, if it's not too much work, I'd like to continue seeing the polls- I think it's fun!  Some of the more "obvious" entries like Pistols and Laboratories just make it more challenging.  Maybe Personal Sidearm or the actual name of the gun (i.e. Glock or Beretta); Experimental Science Facility or Research Center.

If it's more hassle than it's worth, I can understand.  But maybe we can run more polls concurrently?

-Asty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure, it's not much work, I enjoy seeing more options as well, just wanted to see opinions, ok then..... :naughty:

#5 dipstick

dipstick

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 01:43 PM

I HAD thought that all the names had been decided ages ok...! :WTF:
Posted Image

#6 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:49 AM

Not all ;) dipstick...

Generic names like pistols, rifle, may need a tweak as they are not cool ;)... but for other standard names, I dont think we can change anything. Take a look if you see that there is a posibility to improve the naming, go for it. But if not declare them as final.

Greetings
Red Knight
Sourceforge Nick: flois - Federico Andres Lois
Visit my blog at: flois.blogspot.com

Posted Image

Pookie cover me, I am going in.

#7 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:10 PM

Ok then, another issue is the name of our Fusion Bomb and FUsion Bomb Launcher (Blaster bomb and launcher). Should we keep a name that's that identical to our real Fusion bombs? (those nasty bombs that need the explosion of a fission bomb in order to go boom)
I don't really know if we should keep it or poll again, or pick the second most voted, don't know, what do you think?

#8 tzuchan

tzuchan

Xnet Proof Task Force

• 502 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:22 AM

As the original writer of the Fusion Bomb CTs, I say we vote again... And that at least have names that match up with what's written in the CT already....
tzuchan - the last sane CTD writer
- Writer of the Anti-Astyanax Gun CT
- Read my X-Com Profile
Main reason I've got no free time anymore:
Posted Image
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

#9 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:57 AM

Ok then, more names coming up :naughty:

#10 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:27 AM

Hmmmm :Coffee: , should we also take suggestions for the rest of Alien weapons and equipment?, like the Plasma Pistol, Rifle, etc? or do you want to see the classic ones in Xenocide?

#11 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:06 PM

So?, should we?

#12 tzuchan

tzuchan

Xnet Proof Task Force

• 502 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:06 PM

I think other than a few modifications to fit the new naming scheme, plasma weapons don't need new names. Those like BB launcher, stun bomb etc might tho.
tzuchan - the last sane CTD writer
- Writer of the Anti-Astyanax Gun CT
- Read my X-Com Profile
Main reason I've got no free time anymore:
Posted Image
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

#13 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:14 PM

So plasma weapons keep the same names?

#14 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:37 PM

no - plasma and laser should stay the same, IMO. We wouldn't want to do the same as in TFTD, by replacing the names just to replace the names... :huh?:

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#15 Astyanax

Astyanax

Xnet Proof Task Force

• 785 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:04 PM

That's a good point, mikker, but maybe we can still change the "pistol, rifle, heavy, cannon" clasifications a bit? I dunno, maybe "sidearm/handgun/blaster, carbine, advanced/assault, (linear) accelerator/battery"?

In other words, laser blaster/plasma blaster, laser carbine/plasma carbine, assault laser/assault plasma, etc.

Edited by Astyanax, 19 February 2005 - 02:18 PM.

EXCLUSIVE: Read the top-secret Creative Text Department Status Report by the Xenocide Internal Investigation Department!

#16 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:52 PM

hmmm.... maybe we should have a pool on it.

1. laser / plasma pistol

2. laser / plasma rifle

3. heavy laser / plasma rifle

:hmmm:

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#17 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:25 PM

Not all ;) dipstick...

Generic names like pistols, rifle, may need a tweak as they are not cool ;)... but for other standard names, I dont think we can change anything. Take a look if you see that there is a posibility to improve the naming, go for it. But if not declare them as final.

Greetings
Red Knight

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, new name suggestions for all of them, either we end up with better ones or with the same, can't lose.