New Unit Concepts

Jamaru

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok here's one. I know my art sux but its like an example of a reptilian alien with scales, tail, claws, disturbing snake like eyes, and scary teeth. Sporb do you think you can make a skin image picture and make it look like a blood thirsty Reptilian? You know the equipment screen where you equip your soldiers? That kind of picture. New aliens would be cool... :Drool:

EDIT: Here's what kind of image i'm talking about Edited by Abyssion

Yea , the gillman and the tasoth. I can still give it a go if youd like but i think its pointless. Anyother concepts you have on the other hand i can most definately give em a go

[quote name='Kratos' date='Jul 22 2005, 11:16 PM']It seems to be pointless if you are just wanting the .spk image Abyssion.
[right][post="126035"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It is not pointless because its alien concepts. If its accepted then we'll make the rest of the images for it. :)

Floaters are close enough
they will be the slightest bit tougher than sectoids, can fly, and are very ugly... I think i would like the tasoth and gillman more

I want floaters..... :Drool:

Ok here's a sample of another Sporb. Its not very artistic I hope this is a better idea. ;)

EDIT: I'd drew only the head since its just a sample. Could you make him with alien like armor in similar graphics like sectoids and mutons Sporb? Edited by Abyssion

i will give it a go , but dont be too heart broken if it doesnt turn out , life forms are alot harder to model than machinery (im not that adept at creating monsters)

while im here , i would like to mention that i'd be interesting in making some new sectoid and muton costumes , the humans have different armour and different faces , the aliens deserve it too. PS i want to work the inventory images over too , they look like they have just been explanded and thrown in , which is fine for the short term ... :Coffee:

did i mention that ive started on hi-rez weapons :Hyper: theres the laser rifle on second to last page of weapons concpts at th bottom if yer interested. all i need now is hi rez support (Hint hint) Edited by Sporb

[quote name='Sporb' date='Jul 27 2005, 01:50 AM']while im here , i would like to mention that i'd be interesting in making some new sectoid and muton costumes[/quote]

Some kind of personal armour for the sectoids would be cool. About the strength the Mutons had before, to fill the gap between sectoids and blues.

And what do you think about making the jetpack a separate piece of equipment?
That would allow for a lot of new combinations.

To Azrael: Don't start this discussion of xcom story lines here. This topic says "new" aliens, not already made ones. Make a new topic for this.

Armor discussion is fine since it is a "new" concept. Edited by Kratos

Someone trying to cash in on my runaway success huh? :P

Rather than just Aliens, why not things like Robots, and other uniforms for humans? (ex, SWAT, Urban Camo, etc. - though these are already covered by bagirov)

Take in mind they ALL have to hold the weapon in the same way, so if it doesn't have the correct holding frames, it will look wrong! :wink1:

I'm new here, so I'm not sure what's been discussed, and I havn't quite gotten the game to work, but it all seems really cool. My computer at work only has MSpaint, but I'll try to donate some ideas for now.

How about some sort of hairy bug/spiderlike alien? the Arachtoid or something
[attachment=7088:attachment] Edited by albertmdh

After ive finished 'that alien concept' im gonna start working on some good ole fashioned Zombies - not Tentaculat or cryssalid zombies either , Just your average rotting undead feind. If it makes it into the final form , it will have super huge armour but will be highly combustable. Imagine a team of zombies taking on Xcom , Aliens , pfft , wusses compared wit eveyones favourite living dead

Just before starting on Abyssions 'That alien concept' i re shaded the sectoid. Just coz it looked a little tatty in some places - this is the result. Edited by Sporb

more MORE MORE

1) Xcom Zombie - its your fault , what , you expect him to just stay dead after you sent him running into the alien ship so your other men would survive the reaction shots.

2) Sectoid with armour - now with 50% more sectoid - wasnt sure how sectoid armour should look , so i did what i could. It's their faults for being weedy Edited by Sporb

Hi everybody...

Inspired by the UFO Intro I decided to make a kind of Muton-creation.

The first picture is just a transformation from green to red skin. The second and the third picture includes his hat and his shoulder-pads.

Please take a look by yourself:

[img]http://www.arcor.de/palb/alben/24/1203724/1024_3761636165333535.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.arcor.de/palb/alben/24/1203724/1024_6662323062666639.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.arcor.de/palb/alben/24/1203724/1024_3531626639386535.jpg[/img]

Oh, maybe you should download the images because of its original size :blink:

edit: hmm.. i think i should watch for image shack or something else - the quality is definetly "worse" :huh:

Please, let me know if you like it... thx Edited by Oswald Cobblepot

That "simian" thing looks good, and like it's fast, a little like everyone's favourite cryssalid.

Zombies are cool, too. Maybe they could be made AI monsters to train against, without weapons but with a LOT of helath.

The Sectoid armor looks kinda goofy, though. Maybe leave the head free..?

The Duke Nukem guy should definitely be in the game!
One could also have bald guys or some crazy punks. *g*

i have a bald guy ready to go , the sectoid armour looks far to comical to me (to be honest , he looks better in shades <_<) Im making some new armour and human faces. Im gonna create some alien costumes like Oz has with his red muton , but i think they will be mostly for sectoids (Anyone ever play perfect dark? ELVIS) and there will be several more zombies too. (Appearnaces) Edited by Sporb

[quote name='Sporb' date='Aug 1 2005, 01:36 AM']Heres that alien concept all , abyssion , is this kinda what your after? i had nothing to go on really other than the face.
[right][post="127042"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Its exactly what I hoped. :D

I wonder what it would look like if it had eyes glowing red.

*goes to get abyssion the concept with the glowing red eyes*

i made two but the one with red eyes just looked too evil

pic will be posted here in about 4 hours (im @ work) Edited by Sporb

Somthing that just struck me was the idea of adding Alien sheids as an armour for sectoids. Physically they cant wear a suit coz there too weak. There could be a psy sheild amplifyer type setup whereby it acts as armour would but just looks like a regular sectoid with a neat hat / belt / backpack. A special filter could be applied to make the image appear as if behind a sheild (a shimmery effect sort of)

Comments please...

actually I liked the Powersuit idea. :)
They can wear armor but its lighter and weaker than humans somewhat.
I got an idea. How about making a sectoid also in personal armor. That fits them plus they could have a psi shield also but it reduces the damages it takes. For example: if a rifle is 30 power right? Like half the damage which is 15 per shot and with the armor too. They should fly naturally since they have powers. It kind of annoys me when they don't fly. That would help balance the sectoids more. :)

There should be a switch for psi for sectoids so they can be low cost.
They can have psi technique that makes the victim drop their weapon making them panic. (scaring the poo out of them) :P

That alien , varient 2 - the more evil kind

Another Slightly less dead zombie

A new sectoid like alien

2nd attempt at sectoid armour Edited by Sporb

[quote name='Abyssion']actually I liked the Powersuit idea.
They can wear armor but its lighter and weaker than humans somewhat.[/quote]
The idea of a sectoid having powersuit armor is a bad idea. There needs to be some kind of light weight body piece of armor covering body and shoulder, with gloves covering only their hands, and with boots covering only their shins and feet. The Body piece would be similar to the design of the 2nd powersuit attempt, the gloves would be purple/red/yellow (anything but blue so that it will look separate from the armor piece).
[quote name='Abyssion']How about making a sectoid also in personal armor. That fits them plus they could have a psi shield also but it reduces the damages it takes. For example: if a rifle is 30 power right? Like half the damage which is 15 per shot and with the armor too. They should fly naturally since they have powers. It kind of annoys me when they don't fly. That would help balance the sectoids more.

There should be a switch for psi for sectoids so they can be low cost.
They can have psi technique that makes the victim drop their weapon making them panic. (scaring the poo out of them)[/quote]
Sectoid in personal armor would be a just downright bad idea. 3 reasons...1) it will look too similar to the human personal armor 2) it just wouldn't look right for sectoids...covering their whole bodies would look like they were copying xcom anyway 3) We need different color and design variations for this kind of stuff so that it will be more unique...

Now...concerning the psi shield...no it would not be a good idea. 4 reasons: 1) sectoids are not proven that strong in psi strength (ethereals is more likely) 2) we can't change weapon damage with just armor 3) IMO, if you lose your shield, you should be able to get it back but that is quite impossible atm 4) It doesn't fit xcom at all...i haven't seen one type of shield for an alien/ship...why should there be now?

As I said before with psi strength...sectoids are not proven that strong with psi so they shouldn't be able to float either. Remember Abyssion, not all sectoids have psi strength...its only the leaders and even the leaders don't have as much psi strength as ethereals. But lets not try to go into the whole psi discussion since it is far away from even being implemented.
[quote name='Blehm']I don't think weapons can directly change any stats other than health and armor if i remember correctly[/quote]
Nope it isn't in ufo2000.
[quote name='Sporb']That alien , varient 2 - the more evil kind

Another Slightly less dead zombie

A new sectoid like alien

2nd attempt at sectoid armour[/quote]
I like the 2nd varient of the simian better.

Now we have 2 possible zombies...one dead and one 3/4 dead. :)

Hmm...another variant to sectoid. We can call him sectoid but put him as a different appearance just like the humans with different hair/skin color.

Sporb, you made the 2nd powersuit look so good...but the problem is that sectoids don't really carry suits. To see a better description...look at the top of this post with my discussion with Abyssion.

Good work Sporb! =b

EDIT: I just took more notice of the secoid armor...maybe that armor could be the strongest and the one I suggested would be weaker than it.

ie:

my version: 20 front, 18 sides, 16 back, 14 under
your version: 40 front, 36 sides, 32 back, 28 under

simian: 35 front, 32 sides, 29 back, 29 under Edited by Kratos

Need zombies in varying states of zombie rotting, with some zombies in Personal Armour (beaten up) too. :D

~~

The zombies should all have stupidly high armour (as befitting of zombies) the more rotted they are. Obviously, the more rotted they are, the more they cost.

My zombies would be very very slow, but lots of HP. No throwing Acc, lotsa strength and possibly firing acc. Poor reactions though. :) Edited by Exo2000

Damn thats cool , good stuff oz. Ive been waiting for a new muton varient for ages but all my time is taken up with tuition and various other graphics.

A bald guy - he's a real hit with the ladies

a really weird looking face of an alien - could do with some ideas on body type here

the older sectoid armour with a little refitting

Another Zombie varient , ths one is most definately 100% pure deadness Edited by Sporb

[quote name='Oswald Cobblepot' date='Aug 2 2005, 09:30 PM'][img]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8397/unbenannt1ng.png[/img]
[right][post="127233"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

OMFG I WANT RED MUTONS IN NEXT BETA VERSION!!!
OMG They are great I WONDER WHY THEY WERENT IN OLD XCOM!!!

[quote name='Oswald Cobblepot' date='Aug 2 2005, 07:30 AM']Here they are... small but high quality and still barefootin  :blush1:
Next time with boots.

[img]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8397/unbenannt1ng.png[/img]
[right][post="127233"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

to Oswald:

Can you make your red muton as separate images for the head, right and left arms, torso and legs? The game makes the battle units combining those separate units and if you make them like that they can be added to the betas. To see what it is need get [url="http://www.daishiva.com/phpbb/index.php?page=2&incpage=http://www.daishiva.com/progLinks.shtml"]PCKView[/url] and look at the .pck files inside the /newunits folder of UFO2000.

Then it would be possible to have 3 types of mutons: grunt (the basic green one), soldier (your red one) and commander (your red with the shoulder pads and the helmet). They would also have different armor so they would allow for more option while using aliens.

i was going to post this yesterday but i accidentally deleted it. Sectoid costume , its velvet. was a funny shade of green but it looked like he had been sneezed on <_< , So i grabbed tha nearest red palette. That being the red muton.

PS oswald , if you can remaster the muton inventory sprite so it looks more muton , thatd be cool (it doesnt look like the mutons in the intro)

EDIT: LOL , the suit makes him look like a superman wanna be on a TFT screen. Cursed CRT Edited by Sporb

[quote name='Sporb' date='Aug 2 2005, 10:52 PM']Damn thats cool , good stuff oz. Ive been waiting for a new muton varient for ages but all my time is taken up with tuition and various other graphics.

A bald guy - he's a real hit with the ladies

a really weird looking face of an alien - could do with some ideas on body type here

the older sectoid armour with a little refitting

Another Zombie varient , ths one is most definately 100% pure deadness
[right][post="127255"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I see dead people. :D