XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Soldier Skin

Gurluas2000

[quote name='Gurluas2000' date='Aug 28 2005, 06:29 PM']where can i find the basic soldier skin?
also a totally normal soldier... with that i can make tftd skins
[right][post="130311"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Just check lua files in 'extensions/unit-chameleon' directory and comments inside of them. Sprites for the soldier skin are there too in soldier.png. Technically, lua files can be used to make animation for any unit from x-com or tftd. But now we need to make sprites rendering functions for each of them. The most easy of them should be x-com unit skin as all the code for soldier rendering is already done in C++ sources ([url="http://lxnt.info:8888/repos/ufo2k/trunk/src/skin.cpp"]skin.cpp[/url] file), we just need to port this code to lua.

Also I'm preparing detailed modding documentation now, stay tuned :)

[quote name='Gurluas2000' date='Aug 28 2005, 06:58 PM']i meant the ufo soldier not the custom soldier...
[right][post="130314"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
You don't read carefully enough. This question is already answered, even with the exact link to the needed source file:
[i]Technically, lua files can be used to make animation for any unit from x-com or tftd. But now we need to make sprites rendering functions for each of them. The most easy of them should be x-com unit skin as all the code for soldier rendering is already done in C++ sources ([url="http://lxnt.info:8888/repos/ufo2k/trunk/src/skin.cpp"]skin.cpp[/url] file), we just need to port this code to lua.[/i]

In order to have a complete units modding support, some more work needs to be done. Nothing gets magically done itself, time and hard work is required. Are you ready to take part in this work and actually speed up the process?

What other answer did you expect to get?

well i dont really know how to make it work... i think il wait til someone makes a
better skin...

hmm i thought it was possible to edit the sectoid,soldier,muton,personal,power armor units.

anyway how do we port em to lua? Edited by Gurluas2000

It's possible to edit them... I think if you run UFO2000 with a command line like -convertall or something like that (DO NOT TAKE MY WORD ON THAT) it can extract the sprites and places them in a folder, appropriately named. It'll be a headache to edit them though, as they're all single, not on a "sheet."

open the game , go into the inventory , press print screen with the model you want in sight , paste it (CTRL V) into paint and do it through there

what i did is lined up a team on a plain landscape and have each facing a new direction , then i just removed the background and done , i have a full sheet of PA to play with Edited by Sporb

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Gurluas2000' date='Sep 13 2005, 07:43 AM']i meant their codes...
sprites are no problem at all.
[right][post="134697"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
There's no easy way out of this one honestly.

First you export the sprites or make new ones using the soldier's sprite structure.

Then you've got to analyse and understand the C++ commands of [url="http://lxnt.info:8888/repos/ufo2k/trunk/src/skin.cpp"]http://lxnt.info:8888/repos/ufo2k/trunk/src/skin.cpp[/url]
Concerning the unit skin.

After that you have to manually translate those C++ commands in LUA code
Hopefully you can get ideas from the unit_chameleon LUAs (analyse soldier.lua since it's more complete.)
Once you wrote your .lua you can use the skin without relying on the x-com files.

It will be hard and long work getting the multiple bodyparts together but you've got references on both sides and the advantage with the LUA is that you can test without having to recompile the whole app each time so you can do step by step testing as you get the bodyparts together and add movements.