• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brick-To-Face

Brick-To-Face

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hi, I was a big X-Com player until I switched to Linux. I tried to use wine (WINdows Emulator) but all I get is "Can't CreateProcess" when I run UFO.exe and when I run UFO Defense.exe I get a black rectangle in the top-left corner. I think it's 320 x 200 pixels (the resolution for UFO) but nothing happens. So I deceded to look for something for linux, the only thing I found was UFO : Alien Invasion, awesome graphics, too good for my box. Anyone know of an alternative?

#2 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:38 PM

that's because xcom is dos, you might have to get a dos emulator and run it through your windows emulator
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#3 Serge

Serge

Project Leader: UFO 2000

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:35 AM

Original dos version of x-com runs fine in dosbox which is available for linux. Also you may try ufo2000, but that's multiplayer only right now ;)
ufo2000 development team
http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net

#4 kyevan

kyevan

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

Hi, I was a big X-Com player until I switched to Linux. I tried to use wine (WINdows Emulator) but all I get is "Can't CreateProcess" when I run UFO.exe and when I run UFO Defense.exe I get a black rectangle in the top-left corner. I think it's 320 x 200 pixels (the resolution for UFO) but nothing happens. So I deceded to look for something for linux, the only thing I found was UFO : Alien Invasion, awesome graphics, too good for my box. Anyone know of an alternative?

Wine Is Not an Emulator! </2 YEARS late>

Now, onto the real reason for reviving this thread: Wine really doesn't work with it, at all. It breakzored my sound, AND X11! Well, I... aquired... the DOS version of UFO: Enemy Unknown (I had the CE, just not the DOS version!), and that seems like it'll work, once I restart so alsa can fix itself. But I don't have TFTD/DOS, and I kinda want to be able to play that, eventually, too. Is there any way I can get my hands on the DOS version?

Edited by kyevan, 18 August 2007 - 01:09 PM.