XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Laser Pistol

mikker

Ok, Heres the basic idea. Im not sure if this will work, so bear with me for a sec.

Edit: Ok good it worked, now the black is the barrels, and the gray is the handle. I dont know where to put the trigger, but the barrels start out bigger, then the light reflects into a small beam that travels through the shorter barrel.

bountyhunter2211

post-247-1088948966_thumb.jpg

Edited by bountyhunter2211

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and what exactly would this be used for? a handle?

It looks like the concept of the heavy laser i made.

No no no. Ok, heres what it is. The person(s) hold the "gun" by the gray part, then they push.pull,hit etc. a trigger that fires a laser from both sides of the gun. So the hand is in the middle gripping the gun, and the two ends fire the shots.

Edit: I'll make a better pic if I can to show you what i mean.

bountyhunter2211

Edited by bountyhunter2211

ah, now i get it.

That is a bit radical i guess. All 4 laser weapon concepts are finished. Also, isn't it a bit simple?

OK, i've finaly finished coloring (well, more like color CODING) the pistol. Because i did something wrong, the textureing was like taking down a house to paint all the bricks red and then build it again, instead of just painting it when it is standing.

I know the texture assignment suck. If you got some sites with real nice futuristic looking pistols, please post a link :)

laserpistol25.jpg

Well it was just the initial design idea. Still very rough. I updated it a bit today with the parts labeled, but since you're going with the other design I'll begin hunting down sites with futuristic pistols. By the way, heres the update:

1. laser "barrels"

2. grip(s)

3. trigger

4. battery guage

Anyway thanks for takin' look at it. Well I'll be off now to go hunting.

post-247-1088963588_thumb.jpg

I looked around on google for a little bit, and found these sites with pics that might give you some sort of inspiration for the pistol.

www.phasers.net/2260/lasermk2.htm

www.a1guns.co.uk/gammo.htm

www.lostintoys.com/museum/2ndlaser.html

www.hkpro.com/socom.htm

www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=337

www.estelmann.com/private/browning.htm

Hope these will get you set on the right track for what you want.

bountyhunter2211

sorry for not making anything for a while. heres an updated pic of the laserpistol (ive been working in the front).

also: try searching on google picture searching with "laser pistol" :D

lASERPISTOL.jpg

Getting better mikker. Right now the most important thing to worry about is the UV coords. Once those are in place we can easily rekin the model if necessary.

Getting better mikker. Right now the most important thing to worry about is the UV coords. Once those are in place we can easily rekin the model if necessary.

yes, the uv cordinates were the first things i had to get right (the splittingstuffupandthenputtingitbacktogetherpart). If some of the cordinates need finetuning, its no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm assuming that this design is close to finalization, but just for the sake of trying, I figured I'd share my opinion. I like how far the laser pistol has come along, but I just thought I'd note that I liked the more "bulky" look the original retained. Also, a more angled, sharp kind of look would add to the "this is a laser pistol" feel. Perhaps elongating the barrel just a tad, or even adding a kind of electronic interface on the side would add a neat, slightly more complex touch. Just thought I'd offer a little input. After all, gotta love laser pistols. Great job evolving the design so far, guys! Edited by The Master Maniac

• 4 months later...

COMEBACK OF THE LASER PISTOL!

NEED IT MORE BULKY THEN THIS?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/laserpistol1.jpg

looks nice, but almost like a heavy projectile missile. maybe if you make it look lighter, if would be better. A laser pistol should be lighter than a projectile pistol.

I thought it looked fine earlier, but i do like the bulk in the new version... only comment is to connect the triggerguard to that piece inderneath the weapon to keep it from looking like it is weak in the middle.

ok, i'll see what i can do.

The reason the change was that my computer lost all it's data, and the only models i had left were the ones i had uploaded. So i had an outdated laser pistol.

Fixed the trigger, changed the handle a tad, plus i made the laser-sight muzzle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/laserpistol2.jpg

You guessed it: Another laser pistol pic. I've improved with the air - intake, it should now be as streamlined as a Farrari Enzo. :pink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/laserpistol3.jpg

Oh yeah, i'm also working on the heavy laser. Expect it to be ready in a few days.

Edited by mikker

a little thought,

how about extending the trigger ring/protector/thingy forword to the block on the front. sort of like on the socom

http://www.combat2000shop.com/combat2000/airgun/pistol/images/ksc_mk23/socom_l.jpg

it would look cool, and it would make it look more solid.

speaking of the socom, is the model of the pistol done. it would be cool if it where the socom. i could give it a try.

love that gun.

Edited by Qonfused

Thanks for the comments :)

gotta see with the trigger thing too, thanks for the idea Qonfused. And yes, the pistol model is done (one of the only ones acturly), and funny enough it is in fact, a socom.

Edited by mikker

cool, does it have the flashlight/laser thingy.

if it doesnt its only half a SOCOM.

no, it's pretty bare, it's the battle scape model, not one with full detail.

Back on-topic, does this trigger thing look better?

I see what you mean Red Knight, i'll see what i can improve on that part.

laserpistol3b.jpg

Edited by mikker

I kinda like this one more though. It looks smoother.

Also notice i've been making the handle less blocky :Leek:

laserpistol4b.jpg

Edited by mikker

the grip makes the gun look two handed.  That's what i meant to say.  But just my opinion though...

oh, you mean the part in front of the trigger? No, thats not or holding.

I don't think that the gun looks "toy like" at all. The only, only reservation (and it's a small reservation), is the "hammerhead" bottom of the pistol grip. This is in the concept art, though, so probably should not be changed. I think Mikker's most recent version is great. It doesn't look like a rifle, the barrel's too short.

minor nitpick here. The trigger guard where the trigger guard meets the handle has this triangular connection that I can't seem to find in any gun design that I've seen... Given that, might I suggest that you modify the trigger guard abit so that it looks like the one in the version in the attached pic? Mind you, only the bottom of the trigger guard.

post_247_1089487722.jpg

here, i've added the current laser pistol to the ftp. If it shows up in something NOT .3DS, just rename the extension.

http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/Mikker/laserpistol.3DS

Edited by mikker

Sweet!

Now if only I could get my hands on one off those resin prototyping machines, then I could really get my hands on one of those babies :Drool: ...

BTW, Love the handle and trigger guard.

*edit* Hmm... Noticed that you reversed the indents above the grip... How about making it flush with the grip instead? indents and... outdents? seem kind of strange after staring at it for a minute or so...

Edited by tzuchan

yeah, looks better....but look at the export again, it completly destroyed the area o.O

edit: Can this be used?

laserpistol5.jpg

Edited by mikker

Hrm... Just a matter of opinion here, but I think that Vaaish's variation looks better. The larger grip balances the gun so that it looks like you can hold it in one hand without any difficulties, while mikker's version with the thinner grip seems make it front heavy...

Hrm... Just a matter of opinion here, but I think that Vaaish's variation looks better. The larger grip balances the gun so that it looks like you can hold it in one hand without any difficulties, while mikker's version with the thinner grip seems make it front heavy...

I agree with Tzuchan, it seems too big to be balanced.

mikker, are youtalking about the version I exported or the one you exported?

second question, what areas are you refering to there being problems at?

all I changed was the grip and the indentions above the grip.

Can you post a SS of the errors?

thanks,

• 1 month later...

im talking a breake from modeling for a small bit so I started texturing Mikkers laser pistol.

Put down basic coloring (think there is too much plastic/black metal)

started smaller detaling on the top side of pistol

L_Pistol_001.jpg

I think it looks fine as a base coat, where you take the detailing will determine if the black is over the top. (things like grip, technogizmos, etc.)

Please remember to post the model in dotXSI format.