XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Shortening The Range Of Skyrangers/interceptors

emphyrio

Does anyone have experience shortening the range of xcom craft? Will this make the game much more difficult or is it just an annoyance?

thinking of 400 for skyranger/interceptor range/fuel load..

any suggestions for good values?

Playing around with the damage values I noticed that accuracy and damage change together in the ufopedia (using xcomutil 9.6)...is this ok?

(I am getting back to xcom using dosbox 0.72!)

Does anyone have experience shortening the range of xcom craft? Will this make the game much more difficult or is it just an annoyance?

thinking of 400 for skyranger/interceptor range/fuel load..

any suggestions for good values?

Playing around with the damage values I noticed that accuracy and damage change together in the ufopedia (using xcomutil 9.6)...is this ok?

(I am getting back to xcom using dosbox 0.72!)

Yikes, good luck with the first couple months' terror missions! It would suck for you to have the project shut down because you ran out of gas and couldn't save the poor residents of Calcutta or something.

I don't know if that's a good idea. The balance of the ships were that the conventional ships had range and good air time but were pants at combat (speed-wise) and had a lease to worry about each month. The hybrid ships on the other hand have laughable range and air time (made worse by the forced return to base at 50% fuel) but are reasonably good fighters (again, speed-wise). Then there's the Avenger, a class of its own.

But, if it's just for the challenge, halving the fuel may be the way to go.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

..wanted to make earth craft more realistic (without inflight refuel anyways)..

observations (after few months and 2 failed games):

- a range of 400 i think is the minimum to be able to have cover for all the cities with the numebr of allowed bases..

- need to build minimum troop bases (hanger+stores+living) asap to cover larger part the globe to have a reasonable chance of getting enough terror sites

- intercepts of ufos become more difficult.. (I also toned down armor strength - because realistically how much damage can a supersonic fighter

sustain? and swapped damge of stingray and avalanche - you can increase range of a missile, but sacrifice warhead strength)

- if you slowdown skyranger a bit you will also have trouble getting on time to landed ufos...

all this makes for interesting bottleneck where your expenses rise, income dwindles -> less money for research (in fact I am selling most alien stuff, because I need money badly and have no chance

of researching anything but the most urgent stuff), manufacture and radar coverage..

In Pocket UFO, the interceptors have pitifull range. Most of the time you watch helplessly as UFO fly past. I felt it did not add to the game play.

Indeed, the range of X-COM craft are really short in the Pocket UFO version. Terrible. <_>

--------------------

As for shortening the range of X-COM craft to make it more realistic, yes, I agree that the game isn't realistic in that respect. But a problem happens if you cut the fuel capacity of the starting craft: you cannot reach a terror site if it is too far away. An unvisited terror site is a rough -1000 point deduction to your score. The reason why the starting craft have high fuel capacity numbers is because of this fact - the intention was for you to reach all sites on the globe as radar coverage isn't too good either. ;)

- Zombie