XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Alien Recreation

No-one seems to have done this one as far as a I know so I thought i'd give it a go. Feed back, criticism, stealing and re-writing, death-threats, all welcome. (So long as people talk to me.)

Edit: another update : see my last post

Report_on_the__Passive_Psionic_Projector_.rtf

Edited by MagicAndy

I would drop the Vision from the name as Passive Psionic Projector is a pretty cool sounding title all on its own. Althrough 3PV is a better acronym than just 3P. Maybe they could shorten it to PsiPro or something. Also I wouldn't mention "Mr. Hamilton" by name unless you give some indication that the person writing the report is the famous Dr. Heuymann.

Oh and just to complete the request: You will die, prepare for it. :wave:

Maybe the Alien Entertainment can be used to assist in testing, or training for the Psi-Labs. It's suggested that agents with higher PSI will be able to see more detail than lower PSI agents. Alien entertainment may even be able to give a small boost to PSI talent. Probably V1.+, though.

One time I had a lone agent in Antarctica. All the 100 Alien Entertainment there would keep dissapearing. I know what he's doing with it... :beer: :LOL:

well it can get lonely out there, no cable TV service there yet then? :sly:

updated the rtf btw, Psipro didn't sound right but I tried to make the whole sound better.

You mentioned that it's thought that the aliens use it as a reward...maybe it's a conditioning device...at first it's just kinda nice, but long term exposure is psychologically addictive (maybe just for aliens, though..all that genetic tinkering).

Just an idea to make it a bit more ominous...

-The Captain

at first it's just kinda nice, but long term exposure is psychologically addictive (maybe just for aliens, though..all that genetic tinkering).

Just an idea to make it a bit more ominous...

-The Captain

that's a great idea!

long term exposure is psychologically addictive (maybe just for aliens, though..all that genetic tinkering).

Interesting...so you think it should have at least some conection to control of the basic aliens by thier masters? But for us, less psionically advanced species, its just a bit of a sh1t-and-giggle?

How far can we push this without treading on the story line? (if the guys sorting that out even have one yet) cause I could go to town just on that concept

That's an excellent idea, Boxershorts. It would explain why there's alien entertainment on all of the large UFOs. All those aliens need their high. ^_^

X-Corps Scientist [ Okay, you tell us the location of your homeworld, and we will give you more orbs. Don't tell us, and we keep them for ourselves. ]

Sectoid commander [ Woah, man... don't kill my buzz. It's Cydonia, dude. Now gimme some more of my 'tainment. ]

Oh, yeah. It might help for alien interrogations as well. They could be dazed from withdrawl, and will tell you everything you need to know. Or you could dangle it in their faces... :devillaugh:

Edit: Trying out the bracket idea from Kamikazee. It seems to work pretty well.

Edited by Robo Dojo 58

Good. I agree with cpt. boxershorts.

your good at this. All though i would say get rid of the quotes they ruin the effect you worked hard to create (at least i think so, others would say the opposite). maybe put it in [] or --> <-- so it can be spotted easily if its decided its wanted/not wanted.

Otherwise its great cant dis it.

I wouldnt say its entertainment, more like prosac or summint. Maybe say it relaxes rather than entertains, as entertains sounds like it shows you films and stuff.

X-Corps Scientist [ Okay, you tell us the location of your homeworld, and we will give you more orbs. Don't tell us, and we keep them for ourselves. ]

Sectoid commander [ Woah, man... don't kill my buzz. It's Cydonia, dude. Now gimme some more of my 'tainment. ]

Oh, yeah. It might help for alien interrogations as well. They could be dazed from withdrawl, and will tell you everything you need to know. Or you could dangle it in their faces... :devillaugh:

That would explain why a muton engineers/medics/navigators are telling us everything they know. They can sustain a lot of pain but they can't be without alien entertainment! :devillaugh:

I wouldnt say its entertainment, more like prosac or summint.

I recognised that, so I thought put "entertainment or recreation", I could change that to "recreational entertainment", or something along that line.

I will definately put more emphasis on its addictive qualities, and use in information extraction.

I know my fluff text is pretty serious too, (more like Alpha centuri than the stuff found here), so I want everyone to give me their idea for some.

Thought I could re-write the second last paragraph to this:

Military value to 3PV is virtually non-existent. Training purposes, communication uses and psionic enhancement can all be ruled out, since visions cannot be controlled but are instead is unique to each individual; created from the test subject’s own thoughts and experiences. This characteristic can also lead to other, dangerous, problems, most notably the aggravation of deep seated physiological problems and traumatic experiences.

And then tack this on the end:

UPDATE TO SCIENTIFIC DATABASE]

Strategically, we have had some surprising success regarding 3PV on captured extra terrestrials, effective because of the aliens’ high levels of psionic activity. The effect of 3PV on alien subjects, as described earlier, is similar to that of a physiologically addictive substance. The use of 3PV as reward/punishment or as a behaviour modifing tool has increased successful interrogations, on a variety of topics, by 37.4%, while the need for thiopental sodium and thiopentobarbital sodium doses has fallen by 24.7%. In particular, we have found obtaining medical, tactical and technical information significantly easier.

It is, in fact, slightly concerning that the aliens could succumb to these methods. Coupled with the presence of projectors on the larger alien craft and in alien bases, we are now convinced that there is more at work than simple entertainment. Indeed, there appears to be, on ulterior scale, a sinister form of physiological control occurring. We modify our earlier recommendion regarding commercial use of this project, to caution.

So is the alien's dependancy physiological or psychological to the point that withdraw causes psychosomatic damage to the being?

And the next to the last line should read:

Indeed, there appears to be, on a larger scale, a sinister form of physiological control occurring.
Edited by Anthraxus

I didn't want to complicate the matter by putting in something like:

owing to the high level of mental and physical connectivity in alien physiology, the nature of the stimulus and our limited knowledge either, we are unable to decided if the addictive nature can truely be classified as psychological or physiological in nature, or something other.

I think, since the projector is psionic (i.e. screws with your head), the effect should be psychological (i.e. reduction in distress and stress, increase in pleasent feeling = increased psycological desire), rather than physiological (panick, shock, secondary illness). Looking at some of the CRT's for aliens, I'm not even sure if some of them can suffer some of the complaints, Ethreals are just brains really, that control the rest of them, so things like psychosphysiological gastrointestinal and muscuskeletal disorders wouldn't really affect them.

Plus I dont think the alien masters would want psycosomatic problems crippling their troops. What if the local projector breaks? Deprivation should make them more loyal (albiet in an unpredictable way), not sick.

Whats wrong with "ulterior"? it means concealed, underhand, or mysterious, which is exactly what it is. "Larger" doesn't really sound right, unless of course you mean "in the larger picture", which is a good concept to include, but I can't think of an appropriate word right now.

Ok draft number 3 here.

Added fluff text too. I like this draft. :D

Edit: Get draft from first post

Edited by MagicAndy

Strategically, we have had some surprising success regarding 3PV on captured extra terrestrials, effective because of the aliens’ high levels of psionic activity. The effect of 3PV on alien subjects, as described earlier, is similar to that of a physiologically addictive substance. The use of 3PV as reward/punishment or as a behaviour modifing tool has increased successful interrogations, on a variety of topics, by 37.4%, while the need for thiopental sodium and thiopentobarbital sodium doses has fallen by 24.7%. In particular, we have found obtaining medical, tactical and technical information significantly easier.

Good stuff. Though I don't know if this would be a version 1+ idea? This isn't that big of a change so this could be implemented. I like the idea because that would make alien entertainment useful to research too.

thats the beauty of it!

it doesn't actually have any tangible in game benifits. It doesn't matter if the scientists use drugs or therapy to get the answers, they still get them. You're just adding to game story by researching it, nothing more!

EDIT: Theres another version btw Nyyperoid, you just posted as i was putting it on

Edited by MagicAndy

I like that. The real beauty of it is that players will believe that it makes a difference without the need for any potentially unbalancing code.

(holds self back from launching into "hi-octane" vehicle story) :LOL:

(holds self back from launching into "hi-octane" vehicle story)

well now i'm just plain interested :blink:

Edited by MagicAndy

So I guess i'm done then unless anyone else has anything to add. Who do I submit this to?

BTW..(Thought i'd better put this in a seperate post incase it needs moving later)... I have a basic concept idea for the Projector, imagine it sitting in the middle of a room with those colour changing screens on the walls.

Here it is in case anyone is interested in doing a model.

(Common, its an easy one, lets get it out of the way eh?)

post-44-1075453246_thumb.jpg

I agree, it's finished. Now take it to breunor :)

Btw, put that picture to art forums if you want someone to start working on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I had a bit of a coffuffle with the concept of the alien entertainment.

Since there doesn't seem to be many objections about the current one I have reworked the CRT to accomodate for the flashing spheres in panels and added a new fluff text.

If there are no objections I'll give this one to Breunor for him to post on the assets list.

Report_on_the__Passive_Psionic_Projector_.rtf

Wow. This stuff sounds better than the holodecks on Star Trek. And as a bonus, it won't constantly try to blow up the ship! 

:LOL:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if you started it based off the CTD list nix, I updated it and missed this one. I'll post MA's text up there today as time permits as well, and then double check all the entries to make sure that list is current.

The foolproof option to know what's been started is to check the threads in this forum, if the thread isn't there it should be open yet.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

ALIEN RECREATION

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Craft/Components/Recreation

An Alien psionic wave generator which can induce hallucinations and visions for recreation purposes. It is, unfortunately, of very limited utility against the rising Alien threat.

The Passive Psionic Projection Vision is a strange yet fascinating amalgamation of biology and technology, one step higher than the Alien Composites. The main component of the device is a sphere of Composites of 157.4mm in diameter. Microscopic seams of the organic components of Alien Composites are arranged, criss-crossing the sphere, resulting in a three dimensional, biological circuit. In essence, an extremely basic brain. When connected to a power supply, this “brain” will passively emit a low amplitude Psionic wave, causing an effect we have christened “Passive Psionic Projector Vision” or 3PV.

3PV projects thoughts and images into the brain of any being with high enough psionic perception. Our studies have found that 3PV effects can range from simple hallucinations of objects, voices and music, to a complex, deep and complete simulation of reality. Participants across the higher ranges of psionic sensitivity have demonstrated coma-like states with extremely high levels brain activity. These particular individuals later report states of complete detachment from reality and high levels of emotional stimulation.

Our operatives noticed that devices aboard UFOs where often linked together along the walls of specifically constructed room. Investigation has shown us that, while the wave generated by a sole device is often be enough to cause 3PV, the level of any 3PV experience can be increased by implementing multiple devices. Amazingly, when connected in this fashion, the devices will automatically regulate and communicate with each other, dramatically enhancing the effect of the whole system.

“Put together a prototype suit of armour or an experimental weapon, and the men avoid looking at you while mumbling about ‘danger’ or ‘injury’. Build an Alien Recreation chamber and ask for volunteers and suddenly they’re queuing all the way back to Section 2”

- Dr. P McDowell, Research Operative, Sector 9

When Alien subjects are placed in a Recreation chamber, the response observed is similar to deep meditation or hypnosis, often coupled with high levels of endorphins. Subjects seem less aggressive and agitated after prolonged sessions and, incredibly, many Aliens will actually adopt changed patterns of behaviour if it means increased exposure time as a reward. Hence, and most surprising of all, we can only conclude that the purpose of the device is a form of recreation. This is particularly interesting because we had previously thought the Aliens to be devoid of the need for emotional and/or cultural stimuli. Though we can only speculate at its full use, that fact that Aliens might need, or even desire this type of technology is fascinating, and shows our two cultures may be closer than we realise.

Military value of Alien Recreation chambers is virtually non-existent. Training purposes, communication uses and psionic enhancement can all be ruled out, since visions cannot be controlled but are instead is unique to each individual; created from the test subject’s own thoughts and experiences. This characteristic can also lead to other, dangerous, problems, most notably the aggravation of deep-seated physiological problems and traumatic experiences.

The sensation is simply that of euphoria and bliss, much like a drug high, and thus Alien Recreation chambers have their real value on the commercial market, providing “opium for the masses” and revenue for X-Corps funding. Supply will be limited by the number of units we can find, however, since we have been, so far, unable to duplicate the incredible control over Alien Composites required for manufacture.

It is, in fact, slightly concerning that the Aliens could succumb to these methods. These findings, coupled with the presence of projection chambers on Alien craft, have convinced us that there is more at work than simple entertainment. Indeed, there appears to be, on a grander scale, a sinister form of psychological control occurring. We recommend caution regarding commercial use of this project, as earlier described.

“…This must be stopped immediately. I am well aware that there are certain unsavoury practices that occur in this base, particularly in the forms of off-duty gambling and prohibited trade. Often a blind eye is turned, but here we draw the line. The chambers stored in the labs are classified items. They are not to be removed for recreational use, by any off-duty personnel (or on-duty personnel for that matter). Lab technicians are instructed to reject further “gifts” and report offenders to their Department Heads. Make no mistake: the perpetrators will be caught.

In other issues, catering personnel have alerted me to disappearances of bacon sandwiches and flapjack from the staff galley….”

- Weekly bulletin, logged by Section Deputy Administrator, Capt. P. Quinn.