XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Tech Tree

Deathskull

Hmm... I don't agree with them being so harsh on tanks. They're $16000, compared to the hovercar being $12000. They seem to work better with a slow engine- the UFOs shoot the tank rather than the road that way. :)

By the time the large UFOs come, Hovercar prices have already shot through the roof. Tanks work great on mothership and battleship UFOs, and the price will have dropped drastically by then. If you don't have enough firepower to take down a battleship, invest in a few tanks. They're give more punch than hovercars, for the same price, or cheaper. And hovercars are expendible, right?

The rumble cannon isn't too good- It just doesn't have enough range, and it has a small arc of fire.

The plasma cannon is great- It has 50% more range, so the tank can fire more shots as it closes in. It also can shoot 360 degrees around the tank.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

That research tree doesn't seem to me to be correct. Maybe, research trees vary slightly from one version to another, but still... For instance I could research Adv Quantum Physics Lab after Alien Propulsion System (I beleive, any 1 of 3 alien craft components gives you Adv/ QP Lab).

Obvious mistake is Bio-transport module written instead of Biotrans. Module doesn't require anything to be already researched, while Biotrans needs Probe and UFO 3 (not sure that Medium Beam is really needed, I'll check it).

Also, if memory serves me correctly, I was able to research Toxin C after live Psimorph.

You don't need the medium disrupter for the Bio Trans. The medium disrupter is needed for shield research and if I'm not mistaken, X-com Disrupter armour research.

Toxin-C is basically all the aliens except the Queenspawn. There was some debate about the micronoids recently - but the details elude me.

As for the UFO components, one of the three components will not give you anything, so you only need two of the components for the advanced labs.

- NKF

Another correction (100% sure, because I tested it yesterday):

Advanced Biochemistry Lab requires not any live alien, as written, but any live or dead alien. A good idea is to research Multiworm Autopsy first as soon as you get it. It'll give both Adv Lab and Genetic Strucrure options.

If somebody is sure that it's not true, probably there really are some slight differences in versions of the game.

Anyway, I'll try to compile my version of Tech trees in X-Com:Apocalypse.

A multiworm corpse sounds about right. But, if I'm not mistaken, it's mainly the aliens involved in the multiworm life cycle that give you the advanced lab. Basically, multiworm, hyperworm, chryssalis and the egg.

But nothing a quick test cannot solve.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 2 weeks later...

I just tested it and you need to research any alien, live or dead, to get Advanced Biochemistry Lab.

You need to research a dead (autopsy) hyperworm or multiworm or multiworm egg or (I'm guessing) chryssalis (I didn't have one yet) to get The Alien Genetic Structure topic available for research.

More tests coming up as my game progresses.

Edited by komninosm

Can you clarify on that 'any' live alien bit? I think I've completely misunderstood the question.

Surely the advanced biochem lab doesn't become available after you've researched all the aliens. Say, the brainsucker, for example.

Anyway, I've recently managed to get a computer that'll run Apocalypse. Well, without sound effects, but this is no problem. The only disadvantage is that's it's going to lose the ability of the audio scanners*. Now to find some time to capture a bunch of aliens and build a few labs...

- NKF

* My ears.

It's amazing how you well you can locate aliens by sound alone. Combine it with your general knowledge of the map and by using relative motion on the motion sensor, and it's a powerful combination indeed!

Edited by NKF

I've tried save/reload and research on every alien I got in the first mission.

Any dead or alive alien (at least from those you can get in the beginning) gave me Adv. Biolab.

My suggestion is to research fastest alien first (If I'm not mistaken, it was Hyperworm and Brainsucker corpses). It doesn't matter wether it opens Alien Genetic Structure or not - AGS is useless in the very beginning. Toxigun requires Large research space anyway, and you have plenty of time to research everything you need while Adv. Lab is built. But if you research fastest alien first - there's a chance Adv. Lab research is finished in a earliaer day, which means you get Toxigun 1 full day sooner.

Right, time for a little mod action I feel ;)

I am unpinning this, and moving it XCOM 3 General.

Personally, I don't think the tech tree is as important in this game as all the rest- I just researched whatever I could, whenever I could... :D

At least I have not come across annoying bugs like XCOM 2... :)

• 1 month later...