XCOMUFO & Xenocide

T'leth A Disappointment!

Chris StarShade

At T'leth, the battle was slow-going and there was hardly any opposition at all!

But the worst thing about T'leth...

Maps 2 and 3 were practically LINEAR! There was a grand total of ONE door you could take in each room that had any chance of leading to the next elevator or to the sleeping alien beasty (which looked uncanningly like Cthulu). Why is this?!?!?! Gah!

Oh well, maybe it was just boring because I was playing on beginner. heh

TFTD's based on a lot of things. Lots of H. P. Lovecraft influence I imagine (the Tasoth for example. They're the real Deep Ones if I'm not mistaken), so the sleeper isn't terribly surprising.

Tleth was a disappointment, and removing the save feature in the last one was a bit silly. It is difficult perhaps the first few times you try it, but once you get to know the lay of the land, it's terribly disappointing.

My main complaint is that there's not a single sonic pulser in T'Leth. Not one. I came in hoping I'd find some, but instead.... ugh.

The toughest part of T'Leth has got to be the entrance level. The aquatoids, while by themselves are easy enough, are ALL armed with disrupter pulse launchers. If you can get past that, the lobstermen, tentaculates and deep ones on the next level are easy in comparison.

- NKF

I haven't gotten there yet, so I wouldn't know, but I'll trust your vast expanse of knowledge. Just can't quite imagine a combination of lobsters and tentaculates being easy. . .

No sonic pulsars? Sounds like fun. . .scores of Aquatoids with DPLs? Let the party begin. . .

It really is a piece of cake and as you said. Why on earth is there those levels 2 and 3 in t'leth it's practically just walking aroun a huge map without any opponents! It sucks.. SUUUUCKS!

Well, if there are enemies at all, it can't be THAT easy. I'm sure an obvious expert like yourself can beat it with your keyboard tied behind your back, but for an amateur like me. . .I keep switching between EU and TFTD, so I haven't finished either. Farthest I ever got in EU was Lightning with plasma beam, on Mutons or Etherials or Sectopods or Silicoids or any of that nasty stuff. . .except chrysallids. Dang, and I thought I was homefree. . .

Anyway, in TFTD, my best was DPL+ sonic pulsars+ plastic armor (sounds flimsy, and is, too)+ medikits+ sonic cannons/rifles for everyone. Finished gauss research tree except SWS. Can't find out how to get any new SWSes, what's the TFTD research tree like? All i know is that new craft take forever. . .

Screwy indeed. Advanced craft, armour and the SWS are all intertwined. You need to get Mag. Ion Armour as part of the prerequisite for sub construction. You also need the Hammerhead + the associated craft cannon to get the advanced SWS of your choice.

New armour and ships can be obtained very early if you can capture a deep one early on and perhaps an intact sub. But that's much easier said than done.

---

Part 2 of T'Leth is no walk in the park, but at least the map's built in such a way that you only need to be careless to miss any aliens that are coming up ahead of you. The only ranged weapons to worry about are thermal shok launchers and deep-one spit attacks. The tentaculats are still your main worry, and getting cornered by a lobsterman isn't pretty.

Part 1 on the other hand is a fairly open grid (it's basically identical to the second half of an artefact site sans the black room with the synonium device), with the usual large boiler-room areas with aquatoids armed with DPLs - and a few hallucinoids no one seems to care about much. The thing is, they can fire their torpedoes from a few rooms away and you wouldn't know they're there. So the suspense is intact.

It just seems odd to have the hardest map first, a medium level map the next, and an easy one as the finale.

Oh, the aliens populating these maps are still vicious. No doubt about that. But the last map literally railroads you to the big bad boss rather than force you to locate it.

And those yellow walls. Truly these aliens are evil - for they have bad taste.

- NKF

Oh, the aliens populating these maps are still vicious. No doubt about that. But the last map literally railroads you to the big bad boss rather than force you to locate it.

i guess after all those alien colonies and cargo ships, they don't dare to make you look for stuff again ;)
And those yellow walls. Truly these aliens are evil - for they have bad taste.

- NKF

i find pink walls in alien colonies / t'leth level 2 worst. i mean come on, PINK?!?!?

:P

Edited by SupSuper

Is it armored? That'd be disasterous: load all your soldiers and SWSs into the train, drive off to the boss (don't forget to blow the horn!), then suddenly. . .a disrupter pulse thingy flies at you parrallel(sp?) and in-line with the train! Boom. Lots of dead guys.

I finished T`leth on begginer with 1 soldier!!!!!!!!!! it was sooooooo easy

maybe i wont use anything but grenades next time or summat (or go on a different difficulty LOL)

but seriously the synonim devices were far harder than T`leth

Edited by floater medic

• 3 weeks later...

From a perspective, the three missions being "hard-medium-easy" make sense. I mean, when they see your ship (the huge leviathan) coming towards the city, they mobilize the city (fire it up to go above the ocean) and probably all soldiers leave the inner chambers to fight the battle against your men.

Probably those that are in the inner sanctum (third part of the mission) are... servants?

BTW, an early drilling and cleaning rush on your side with Disruptor Pulse Launchers (and probably a few MCed aquatoids) makes the first mission a walk in the park... sorta...

The worst research lock IMHO is not tasoth commander BTW (lobstermen commanders are far more common, so you should ideally research them first) but live Deep One premature research. If you do not get the mag ion armor after you research live deep one, congrats, you have to find another live one and research it AGAIN.

I never tried (since I played X2 through once and vowed never to return) but what if you used whatever-that-games-equivalent-to-the-blaster-bomb thingie against the walls to "shorten the path"; isn't ol' squid-face right next to the first interior wall you meet? Make a hole at the start, shoot 'em, done. Sort of like in X1, step through the double door on the lower level of the brain room, stop at the threashold shoot up, done.

The walls on the last mission (the third one) are different from the walls of the other game. While normal walls are just one side of a square (and therefore, just a line), the walls of this level are actually a square thick. I remember they can withstand disruptor pulse launcher blast.

they can withstand anything. makes it impossible to use SWS on that level since doors are only one square wide and you can't blast your way through like in previous levels :P

• 1 month later...
The walls on the last mission (the third one) are different from the walls of the other game. While normal walls are just one side of a square (and therefore, just a line), the walls of this level are actually a square thick. I remember they can withstand disruptor pulse launcher blast.

they can withstand anything. makes it impossible to use SWS on that level since doors are only one square wide and you can't blast your way through like in previous levels :P

I use Sonic Displacers there, because my poor soldiers cannot reach the final target that fast. I just use sonic "bullets" to "enlarge" the doors, so my Displacers go ahead while my soldiers use MCDisruptors on any alien. By the way, sometimes when I control a 4 square alien, I control just quarters of it and at the same time quarters of some other 4 square aliens. If the other aliens are already in the final chamber, I just control further some lobsters already there to break all those "glasses?" and finish the mission

I don't think ANYTHING destroys those walls, which makes using any SWS in that final mission impossible. I never tried using sonic cannons or displacers to see if they could drill them though, since anything that can stand a DPL should stand everything in the game (IMHO)

One more time, I was talking about the doors, not about the walls. Door can be "enlarged" for sure. I mean making another hole near a door will make a 2-size door, so a Displacer can go through. I'm sure about it, cause I did it so many times, trust me.

And a sonic displacer can reach the final room in half the time a soldier would, they have impressive stamina. Well, they're machines, aren't they?

Of course, the idea of drilling holes comes right away, but no, the programmers wanted the gamers to take the longer path.

Edited by dan2

• 3 months later...