XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Moving Up To Veteran

Kloreep

So... Experienced isn't all that challenging, I find. It's not a cakewalk like the Beginner game I abandoned was, but aside from the occasional difficulty nailing a Shade, the combat isn't too hard; and after having to skimp on some things in the early game, I've started getting lots of money coming in. I'm about to build my third base (third permanent one; I leapfrog to build bases farther out) and I have enough money that I might have enough to build my fourth as soon as I finish with my third.

So... I tried starting up a vet game to see what the combat was like. I see the aliens get armor at that level. Also, they must either become better pilots or get more weapons, because I had a lot more trouble staying alive against the puny Wraiths that the aliens start out with.

What should I do to increase my own chances in combat? Is there anything I can do to help my AI pilots? If I played out a vet game now, I think I'd go bankrupt replacing fighters - both the occasional one I'd lose, and those the AI pilots lose. Edited by Kloreep

Lets face it, the AI is absolute crap. No 2 ways about it. The pilots usually are good enough to draw fire, but after that, well it gets dodgy.

There are a few things you can do to shore it up, but they don't always work:

1) use training to improve your pilots
2) frequently check on your wingmen during combat, and if they are severely damaged, try and cover them and tell them to get out of there!
3) Hire better pilots.