6 replies to this topic

#1 aquila

aquila

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:09 AM

Just wanted to let all of you who have also had this annoying experience that yes, it does happen on other difficulty levels as well even though I shot down every detected UFO, and the general activity in the graphs was low. So I am half asleep in the morning and then i read in disbelief that I have to defend my poor little base after only two weeks of xcom time. And yes, the sectoids owned my poor little normal rifle equipped men, and the cyberdiscs blew me up even more. And then got mind controlled on top of that. And yes I had to restart :).

Aquila

#2 Mark0

Mark0

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

Just wanted to let all of you who have also had this annoying experience that yes, it does happen on other difficulty levels as well even though I shot down every detected UFO, and the general activity in the graphs was low. So I am half asleep in the morning and then i read in disbelief that I have to defend my poor little base after only two weeks of xcom time. And yes, the sectoids owned my poor little normal rifle equipped men, and the cyberdiscs blew me up even more. And then got mind controlled on top of that. And yes I had to restart :).

Aquila

LOL wow!
i have experienced a sudden base attack but not that fast! :P (sudden base attack as without detecting any UFO)

now that is one heck of a challenge, specialy cyberdiscs.

Edited by Mark0, 26 March 2007 - 11:51 AM.

#3 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:17 AM

It's not very nice when you just start a brand new game and get a base attack before you've gone out on any ground missions! But yes, it does happen.

Cyberdiscs are indeed tough if fought early, but they're no match for large rockets and high explosives. So be sure to stock up on some of those from the very start. For starters, large rockets are your best bet, but once you get 40+ strength soldiers, start lobbing high explosives with semi-wild abandon. There are few enemies in this game that cannot be beaten with these weapons. ;) Also, as long as the attack comes 3 days into the game, you'll be fine. If it comes any earlier you should consider restarting unless it's the floaters. Also buy some tanks. Don't worry about the ammo, they get free magazine refills for base defence purposes.

If you use tanks, note that rocket tanks aren't very good against Cyberdiscs on superhuman difficulty, as they take about 3 or more tank rockets per disc. Compare that to 1 or 2 Large rockets. Quite a large difference.

Cannon tanks also require at least 3 - 4 hits to knock them out, but because a cannon tank carries 30 shells, it lasts the battle a lot longer. So if you must get into sorties with cyberdiscs, the tank cannon is better against the cyberdiscs, while the rocket tank should be used to wipe out the sectoid mobs.

If worst comes to worst, auto or heavy cannon AP shells work fairly well against them. Proximity grenades are a great way to weaken them enough that your pistols and rifles can knock it out. But don't go out of your way to try this unless you're desparate.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 27 March 2007 - 03:19 AM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#4 Aiki-Knight

Aiki-Knight

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

Ouch, Aguila. That's what happened to me the very first time I played XCOM. I'd just got a few troops promoted to sergeant, and then they hit me. And no matter how many times I reloaded, the base attack happened. It was a slaughter, and I had to restart.

By the way, NKF, thanks for the info on using tanks against cyberdiscs. I'd always used rockets, thinking of anti-tank missiles naturally as a weapon to use against cyberdiscs. Maybe I'll buy a few tank cannons after all!

#5 Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:36 AM

Never been lucky enough to have this happen to me. The very first very small UFO that always shows up on the first day near your base (scout with interceptors) is on an alien retaliation mission so I guess it's just a matter of whether it happens to find you on the first shot. Too bad it wasn't floaters. Talk about a gear coup for the beginning of the game.

#6 Nazlfrag

Nazlfrag

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:42 AM

I've just started playing again after a long while, and started on a couple of Veteran games. First game had a base invasion on the 6th! I stood no chance. Next game, it came around the 16th and caught me off guard like yours. Restart again.

This time, I wasn't screwing around. I ordered extra missile launchers & rockets, hi-explosive and proxies, and a rocket hwp first thing, and weeded out my cowards early. The attack came in on the 10th, but my 15 recruits had downed two vessels already and were ready for the scum. I had 4 rocket guys, 3 autocannons and a heavy cannon and my captain with the sole laser pistol. Everyone else had rifles and bombs. My rocket hwp had arrived, and these floaters didn't stands a chance.

Nothing was built yet as far as modules so it was the default layout. I made for the bottom right hangar which I secured early, using the hwp and a couple of missile launchers to cover the lower left hangar and access lift, while three troops held them off from the north. I had narrowed their attacks to two corridors, which I proceeded to fill with proxys, hi-ex and rockets.

Soon, it was all over. 5 heroes were lost to the alien scum that day, but the future of X-COM was secured, if only for another month.

#7 tachyon

tachyon

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

I've just started playing again after a long while, and started on a couple of Veteran games. First game had a base invasion on the 6th! I stood no chance. Next game, it came around the 16th and caught me off guard like yours. Restart again.

This time, I wasn't screwing around. I ordered extra missile launchers & rockets, hi-explosive and proxies, and a rocket hwp first thing, and weeded out my cowards early. The attack came in on the 10th, but my 15 recruits had downed two vessels already and were ready for the scum. I had 4 rocket guys, 3 autocannons and a heavy cannon and my captain with the sole laser pistol. Everyone else had rifles and bombs. My rocket hwp had arrived, and these floaters didn't stands a chance.

Nothing was built yet as far as modules so it was the default layout. I made for the bottom right hangar which I secured early, using the hwp and a couple of missile launchers to cover the lower left hangar and access lift, while three troops held them off from the north. I had narrowed their attacks to two corridors, which I proceeded to fill with proxys, hi-ex and rockets.

Soon, it was all over. 5 heroes were lost to the alien scum that day, but the future of X-COM was secured, if only for another month.

And then what happened?
Posted Image