XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Skins

Gurluas2000

[quote name='Gurluas2000' date='Mar 13 2005, 08:26 PM']couldt we get new skins soon??[/quote]
Gassa is making units/skins support now (haven't seen him for a long time already though). Would you like to work on this feature too?

Maybe you could try emailing him, Serge?

The units that should be weapons compatible are;

TFTD:
Calcinite (Yep, they can hold weapons, according to DaiShiva's lil' avatar generator)
Aquanauts
Aquatoids
Deep Ones
Gillmen
Tasoth
Lobstermen

UFO: (Unimplemented ones)
Snakemen
Etherials
Floaters

The reason calcinites can hold weapons is because they are just recolored underwater aquanauts... and dont forget plastic aqua armor,ion armor,mag ion armor.

would also be great to have a tentaculat and chrysallid too...
like the glitch.

here is the proof Edited by Gurluas2000

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Gurluas2000' date='Mar 21 2005, 05:09 PM']The reason calcinites can hold weapons is because they are just recolored underwater aquanauts... and dont forget plastic aqua armor,ion armor,mag ion armor.

would also be great to have a tentaculat and chrysallid too...
like the glitch.

here is the proof
[right][post="114858"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Also, when I said Aquanauts, I mean all the armour classes, too.

Dude.. imagine a Calcinite inside an Ion Armour suit.. :D

It'd look pretty nifty.

• 2 weeks later...
New units is not all.

It must allow us to make our own and import it into the game with .lua scripts.
I've been waiting for that feature for ages.

There's so much possibilities! You could fight with a dancing banana :banana:

I want to design a team out of werewolf soldiers, muhuhahahahahahahahahahahaha, that'd be cool.

I agree nachtwolf, i also have some ideas for new characters too.
Actually I have been thinking about the lua thing ever since the new weapons came out. It would save developers a lot of time to implement these characters one by one, changing the tactical engine every time something is new. I was thinking somewhere on the lines of:

define what png files are in what frames (instead of pck files)
define if 4 spaced character
define characters stat start out (psionic strength, psionic skill, health, etc.)
define if char had moving arms or legs
define if char has armor
define if char has different appearances
define if char is alien
define if char can fly
define if char uses only special weapons (chryssalids, reapers, etc.)
define if char has psionic skills (i think there should be psionic skills, but make it not so great to use) One example: don't lower morale, make them throw their weapon, can increase their armor temporarily a little, and can teleport in a short amount of space in order to go to higher areas faster (8 time units per space).

I was hoping someone had the lua idea besides me...it may take a long time to put in, but it will save developers overall time on adding characters. :)

[quote name='*Nite*' date='Apr 18 2005, 03:52 PM']define what png files are in what frames (instead of pck files)
[right][post="117534"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Nite, I don't think PNG files are such a good idea for units, have you ever looked at a human unit pck file, you'd get like 100 PNG files, make that 10 different characters and you get 1000 files instead of... 10. PCK's are easy enough to edit and work good.
So unless they make "image indexes" within PNG files, PNG images are not that good.

Psionics are weird !!! :Cry:

Edited cause I can't type. Edited by nachtwolf

[quote name='*Nite*' date='Apr 18 2005, 05:46 PM']i guess pck files are good, but i try to edit them and it doesn't work, it screws up. Am i doing something wrong?
[right][post="117543"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Edit : PCK files are compressed multiple images, it can't be edited directly, you'll have to get PCKview (pck editor) which will let you import and export images. Make sure you backup your .pck and always use the .tab file that goes with it.

Export as BMP, edit as BMP, import as BMP.
it won't work with PNG files. (so sad)
Also, the transparent color is 04040C (or RBG 4,4,12), not black.
Make sure you use the palette from the game and you got the right image size, and have fun modding.
PCKview works A1 for replacing images. Edited by nachtwolf

[quote name='nachtwolf' date='Apr 19 2005, 12:33 AM'][quote name='*Nite*' date='Apr 18 2005, 03:52 PM']define what png files are in what frames (instead of pck files)
[right][post="117534"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Nite, I don't think PNG files are such a good idea for units, have you ever looked at a human unit pck file, you'd get like 100 PNG files, make that 10 different characters and you get 1000 files instead of... 10. PCK's are easy enough to edit and work good.
So unless they make "image indexes" within PNG files, PNG images are not that good.
[/quote]
Image indexes inside of PNG files are already supported. From changelog:
[quote]r761 | serge | 2005-03-26 21:53:50 +0300 (Sat, 26 Mar 2005) | 10 lines
Changed paths:
M /trunk/src/pck.cpp

Added possibility to load many sprites from a single file png file.

Files having name format like "../name/XXxYY-ZZZ.png" and
NOT FOUND on disk are interpreted as sprite number ZZZ inside
of "../name.png" file, each sprite having width XX and height YY.
They and organized as a grid of rectangular images (with one pixel
separator lines). Top left sprite has index 1, other sprites have
indexes numbered sequentially with indexes growing from left to
right and from top to bottom.[/quote]
Try adding 'F_CONVERT_XCOM_DATA=1' to the end of ufo2000.ini and run the game. It will export all the used pck files to png format and place them to 'converted_xcom_data' subdirectory. Files are exported both as individual frames and as big png pictures containing all the frames in a single file. You can experiment with them, feel free to ask any questions if you need more information.

[quote name='Exo2000' date='Apr 19 2005, 01:22 PM']So using this (...CONVERT_DATA...), we should be able to extract the existing X-COM sprites and edit them?[/quote]
Right, you should be able :) But anyway, for any weaponset to be included in ufo2000 distributive, it should contain completely new sprites, not edited.

So serge, is importing new aliens possible right now? if so, do we use pck files to define the frames still, or all i do is edit through the png files and it will change without messing up the game?

This is off topic here, but which weapons are you and other developers considering keeping for ufo2000? Edited by *Nite*

[quote name='*Nite*' date='Apr 20 2005, 03:43 AM']So serge, is importing new aliens possible right now? if so, do we use pck files to define the frames still, or all i do is edit through the png files and it will change without messing up the game?[/quote]
Not yet, pck names for units are hardcoded in ufo2000 sources right now. Support for changing and modding units will be added just like support for new maps and weapons, but we are not there now.

[quote]This is off topic here, but which weapons are you and other developers considering keeping for ufo2000?[/quote]
See [url="http://ufo2k.lxnt.info/mantis/view.php?id=228"]http://ufo2k.lxnt.info/mantis/view.php?id=228[/url]

A general idea is to have a minimal core of the game which contains only legally clean data files, which has a small size, is easy to download and runs just fine after installation (with some limited set of prepackaged weapons, units and maps).

Also a large online repository of additional maps, units, weapons, mission scenarios, soundtracks of other stuff will be available for downloading and installing directly from the game. Any user will be able to submit his extensions to this online repository.

I think I'll start working on my werewolf soldiers skins.

Werewolves can have armor... can't they ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
Doing a skin = LOTS OF WORK!!!

But it's fun...

Here's a preview :D

Now we got to wait for the feature ...

If you ever have the time, Nacht, I'll need a Paladin skin to use as an armor for my men...