24 replies to this topic

#1 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:12 PM

Wierd. I had a base selected in Micah's saved game, and I opened one of my new superhuman games, only to find this! :huh:
It looks like my game didn't select the bases correctly, but it looks very cool. Has NE1 been able to do this before?

--Edit: Tiff files aren't shown as pics. Hmm.... Changed to Jpeg.

Attached Thumbnails

• unholy_.JPG

Edited by Robo Dojo 58, 23 December 2003 - 01:13 PM.

Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#2 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:18 PM

yeah, mine did that too...strange...

Attached Thumbnails

• basedefence.jpg

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#3 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:53 PM

Entirely for LordT's snickering pleasure :LOL:
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#4 TopDawg540

TopDawg540

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 07:06 AM

Now the question is, Even with all those missle defenses can the base hit an attacking UFO.

:D
"Pain is weakness leaving the system." - Marines

#5 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 08:29 AM

I'm sure it could hit a ufo, but the question is Could it destroy it?
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#6 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 03:43 PM

the question is: could the aliens bother? :P

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#7 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 05:45 PM

I've actually built a base with multiple grav shields and a battery of rocket modules (just for fun - I don't build gun modules - but that's better left for another discussion). (I think it was something like 4 rocket pods and 6 grav shields 4 x 6 = 24 rockets)

Let's just say that the attack time is awfully long, but the battleships do get blown to smithereens when enough missiles hit.

Back to the original topic though:

If you have a game with more than one base, select the last base, and then load a game with less bases. The last base will still be in memory and since savegames don't remember which base was selected, the last selected base will still be selected. This phantom base will have all the modules, inventory, scientists and engineers (no soldiers or ships) from the last game that you can either sell or send to another base. However, the moment you deselect the base, it can no longer be selected. The game cuts a few curves by not clearing any data, instead, it marks it as unavailable. It's still there, you just can't select it, that's all. This is the same reason for the proximity mine bug in the CE, and partially the cause for the ammo clip inside an alien corpse bug that some of you might have noticed from time to time.

Looking at the screenshots, however, I think the emulator you used may have cleared the memory - or the game just grabbed a section of unused RAM.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 27 December 2003 - 05:47 PM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#8 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 05:56 PM

Hey, do you actually get the game to work in Dosbox 0.60 ? It crashes for me in the battlescape.

#9 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 07:14 PM

I've actually built a base with multiple grav shields and a battery of rocket modules (just for fun - I don't build gun modules - but that's better left for another discussion). (I think it was something like 4 rocket pods and 6 grav shields 4 x 6 = 24 rockets)

Hmm.. I just heard from elsewhere that it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 10 of those grav shields. It only lets you use those defences twice..

Means:
NO grav shields and 4 missile defences = 4 missile defences
1 grav shield and 4 missile defences = 2*4 missile defences
10 grav shields and 4 missile defences = still 2*4missile defences
There's no need for a sig..

#10 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 07:22 PM

Multiple grav shields work. But don't take my word for it. Test it yourself and find out for sure.

Radars, now radars are a different story. Only one of each type of radar will work at any given time. The detection probabilities of the different radars do stack - though it's a moot point for the HWD. But for the small and large, they work best together.

- NKF

#11 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 07:32 PM

Multiple grav shields work. But don't take my word for it. Test it yourself and find out for sure.

Radars, now radars are a different story. Only one of each type of radar will work at any given time. The detection probabilities of the different radars do stack - though it's a moot point for the HWD. But for the small and large, they work best together.

- NKF

Are you saying that it's useless to have more than one small and one large radar system in a base?

#12 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 07:47 PM

That is correct. Even though the base screen indicates otherwise, the additional radars don't increase radar range or the detection probability. Just increased rent. :)

This is another case where my curiosity was able to dig up some interesting facts about the game.

I was using the CWE editor to edit a new base so that it was packed with small radars, just to find out for sure whether the detection range was improved. The radars wouldn't pick anything up. It turns out that the CWE editor doesn't set the actual 'radar' variables for the base itself, which the game sets when new radars are built (exact same reason base editors make it so that the HWD is always built with 1 remaining build days). So I restarted this experiment the old fashioned way, by installing 5x6 + 5 small radars myself. Worked out just fine , but the radars were no better than one. I checked the base files again, and the detection probability for small range detection was still 10.

To cut thing short, on further experimentation, the large radar has a short range detection of 20 and a long range detection of 20. Combined with the small radar, its short range detection is raised to 30. Additional small and large radars had no effect on detection whatsoever. The HWD raises a separate stat, and this one goes all the way to 100 (hence 100% detection).

Sorry for my long windedness - and by temporarily going off-topic. I do that, you know. :)

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 27 December 2003 - 07:51 PM.

#13 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 07:55 PM

Sorry for my long windedness - and by temporarily going off-topic. I do that, you know

Not at all, I find your findings very interesting :)

#14 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:10 AM

What version of X-COM are you using? Mine is UFO DOS V1.4, and you can never use more than one grav shield. IIRC, it worked that way on the Playstation X-COM as well.

the additional radars don't increase radar range

Eh, that's not too bad. Radar works on line of sight. If more radars would allow you to see around the world, it'd be pretty stupid, and make bases less useful IMO.

but the radars were no better than one.

That's wierd. Did you try a saved game, with a UFO directly overhead? You could count how many times it is found, or how early it is spotted. The HWD would help alot for that. (Build HWD, find UFO, smash HWD, use radar/s, see how often/early you can find UFO)
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#15 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10,529 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 10:37 AM

- NKF

Has that been valid for all versions of Xcom. I seem to remember testing that years ago and being disapointed. My version is the REALLY old DOS one (I really should look it up).
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

#16 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 04:34 PM

Re multiple grav shields: Hmm, I'm sure that I've seen it happen before, as I recall blowing a battleship to smithereens with a small battery or rocket modules and multiple grav shields. But that was so long ago -- I'll have to get back to you on it if I ever get a chance to test it. I've not bothered with defences in such a long time, my recollection might be a bit fuzzy.

Captain: The detection probabilities are stored as an entry for each base in the base file. A small radar will raise the bases's short range detection by 10 points. Multiple small radars do not raise this any further than the initial 10 (but adding a large radar will add an extra 20 to SR detection). If all the radar types are set to 0, then the base does not pick up any UFOs. (note the CWE editor suit does not set these values when installing the small and large radars)

By the way, destroying your radar will not disable the radar until the next radar is officially 'built' by the game. Try it. Start a new game, destroy your small (or large) radar and play for a bit. You'll still be picking up UFOs. What we have is a phantom radar. :) See, what's happening is that when you destroy the radar module, the game doesn't recalculate the detection probabilities and leaves them as they were. It won't recalculate them until a new radar is 'built'. When a radar is built, the physical radar module no longer has any function and is merely cosmetic.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 28 December 2003 - 04:36 PM.

#17 The Master Maniac

The Master Maniac

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 442 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:47 AM

Wow, if I would have known all this before I said "gee, let's waste tons of money on a radar base..."

I've concluded simply that there's not a single question you can ask that NKF can't answer. I'll try one of these days. ;)

#18 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 05:52 AM

Nah... I'm positively SURE there is no XCOM-related question that is NKF-proof... :master: :D

His in-depth exeperimentation must be strongly supported by an efficient & independant "guessing module" of some kind...

NKF's our secret weapon against the aliens!!! :LOL:
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#19 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:04 AM

Aiee! You're giving me far too much credit.

Look, I may be knowledgeable in some aspects of the game but I don't know everything nor am I always right. I get to make mistakes all the time, like everyone else.

Really! I kid you not.

- NKF

#20 EtherImp

EtherImp

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:21 AM

My radar bases consist of an access lift, a hyperwave decoder, and a mind shield.
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the 'one'.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see.

But I forgot my pen!

#21 Guest_alex the greater_*

Guest_alex the greater_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:09 AM

Posted Image

am i the only one who notested the fire tommy option

Edited by alex the greater, 26 August 2004 - 09:10 AM.

#22 Chris StarShade

Chris StarShade

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:49 AM

Now the question is, does that button force Tommy to get a new job, or does it randomly pick a fusion ball defense and make him blast-off?
Psionics? Bah! Glorified staring contest.

#23 Guest_alex the greater_*

Guest_alex the greater_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:11 AM

yah that would be the ultimet wepon fire tommy at near light speed at the alien battleship he will surive the battleship wount

#24 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:34 AM

I'm sure he will... :LOL:

Damn!
How in the nine hells did you notice that button in the first place!!
Is it really there or is it an edited screenshot?? :huh:
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#25 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:36 AM

If you check the original topic you'll see someone already noticed, it is just an edited pic. Now that is solved we can stop spamming :)
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)