XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Alien Base Detection

MindsEye

In the UFOpedia it says that implies that you must patrol to find a base in the alien base research...

Something peculiar happened that never happened to me before. I made hyperwave decoders in 8 bases to cover the earth. Then I put 9 avengers and spread them around the bases. Since I have 750 engineers making laser cannons and a stockpile of elerium I decided to stop doing ground assaults and crash recoveries. I just took down the ufo's as fast as I could and nothing landed the entire month. Then at the beginning of the next month I got a message: X-com agents have located a new base. Then the alien base showed up on the geoscape.

Maybe this is common knowledge and it just never happened to me.

Well, actively patrolling is only necessary if you know there's alien activity going on beyond the scope of your radars, or if you know a base building fleet sents its builder battleship to a site in your radar scanning area but the new base hasn't shown up.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of following the trail of supply ships. If they frequently cross your protection space often enough and land in or just beyond it, then a base is nearby.

Alien bases can sometimes pop up without the need for a base building fleet, but these often happen after you've done badly in some way. Usually it involves losing a country. When this happens, a base sometimes appears in that country. Not always, but it's happened often enough. As for your 'agents' locating a base, I'm not entirely sure if they're locating an existing base or whether a base comes into existance when they locate it.

- NKF

I checked out my graphs and thought it was kind of interesting. My score for the month wasn't bad at all. It was approximately 4,000 - excellent.

But then I looked at the aliens score. There score was approximately 160. On closer inspection all or almost all the points scored was scored in the U.K. The base showed up in the U.K. Since the aliens score 5 points a day for a base 5 * 30 days = 150. That base might have been there all month and that is the reason they told me about it (?) Not that I was doing badly but that I let it sit for a month or longer. The aliens score in the U.K. the previous month was 80 so it might have been there as long as 46 days.

As always, I'm amazed at how easily NKF mesmerises us with a short, to the point and dazling insigth into the inner workings of the game...

:master:

Did you go through the whole code with and Hex editor or what!?!?

:LOL:

Seriously, though, are you sure you'll know automatically if an alien base is situated inside your base's detection radius?

Short? To the point? You are lucky that I'm trying to avoid giving my usual 3-page rambling answer to a short question. Did this all the time a few years back. :)

All this is just from observation. I mean, supply ships constantly going to the same area and landing in the same place? 'tis -Bum, bum bummm - suspicious!

As for not picking up the base in your detection range: Well, I've had it happen a few times. Not often, since your ships are up and about so frequently that it's hard to miss a neighbouring alien base. Had one lurking just on the edge of my detection range at one time.

- NKF

i had one built right next to my base (GASP!) without needing any UFOs. i think it was because the country i had the base on joined the aliens.

still idiotic, having an alien base for a neighbour :P

i had one built right next to my base (GASP!) without needing any UFOs. i think it was because the country i had the base on joined the aliens.

still idiotic, having an alien base for a neighbour :P

Yeah, well, at the scale of the glode, being on top of each others could still be more than 500 miles apart...

They could be on the other side of town and you'd not necessarily know (unless you catch the suply ships on Radar of course)

As for your 'agents' locating a base, I'm not entirely sure if they're locating an existing base or whether a base comes into existance when they locate it.

- NKF

probably an existing one. i doubt aliens build new bases exactly on the start of every month :P

As for your 'agents' locating a base, I'm not entirely sure if they're locating an existing base or whether a base comes into existance when they locate it.

- NKF

probably an existing one. i doubt aliens build new bases exactly on the start of every month :P

The aliens, no, but the game could cheat a bit, to make sure everyone have at least a shot at a commander once in a while...

They locate an existing base. I have been in game, found a base, reloaded, gone to the end of the month, and had them find it for me because it was no longer "found" in my saved game and I never managed to re-find it.. Or simply didn't have the time, I don't remember which.

Also, it doesn't seem that simply flying over a base will cause you to detect it.. Only patrolling in the nearby area.. Or, perhaps simply with higher percentage chance of locating. Ie - If the aleins build a base right next to you and you have craft flying over it 4 times a day, the chances of finding it atleast one of those times are higher than just flying over a random spot and finding a base.. but if you send a skyranger (or whatever) to that same random spot and patrol for 1 day, your chances are (almost) gaurenteed.

I'm still wondering if there is any way to destroy ALL the Alien bases. It does seem that after I wipe a few of them out alien activity hits an all time low, then after a while I see a crapload of new ships all in 1 area, presumably building a new base.

iirc, if you destroy all alien bases the game automatically places a new one (without the need of ufos or anything) in a random place (can be even where you've already patrolled) to make sure that you can always get a Commander to go to Cydonia and that you can only finish the game by going to Cydonia.

That's probably true.. But you can also capture commanders from battleships which are trying to build a base, and it's my experience that within the month that I destroy an enemy base, they tend to be pretty quick to respond with the scouts, then supply ships, then battleships.. then suddenly I find another base.

As soon as I've figured out more of the loc.dat file, I can probably put together a viewer that'll list all the objects on the globe for you.

You can wipe out all the bases for certain periods. From the very start of the game, for example, there are absolutely no bases. You just have to be quick about dealing with the battleship base construction crew.

- NKF

• 4 weeks later...
You can wipe out all the bases for certain periods. From the very start of the game, for example, there are absolutely no bases. You just have to be quick about dealing with the battleship base construction crew.

Back when I played it in DOS, and had the editor, I edited in a massive web of bases, lots of radars etc. and loaded for bear. Never let a ship in, always retrieved, but still they built the bases.

I'm convinced that when you lose countries (inevitable?) then they can build bases, or they just do.

I can confirm that if you lose a country, there may be a base undiscovered. I recently saw that the UK dropped its funding suddenly. UFO activity was negligible there, and after it signed the pact, I sent patrols there. No base was in the UK, but another had sprung up in Germany. I don't understand the logic sometimes. I mean as far as I know, I've stopped anything coming close to Europe or had a mission there.

or that the ufo that built it came directly from cydonia, thus skipping all sensory things :P

Nope, The UFOs need time to slow down in the atmosphere, that's why they'll go halfway around the globe before reaching their destination, even if they're heading straight for your base... :LOL:

On the other hand, considering we can "see" 100% of the UFOs with a HWD, the game cheats sometimes, to make sure you have a base handy, so it's made possible to capture a Commander and finish the game...

I can confirm that if you lose a country, there may be a base undiscovered.  I recently saw that the UK dropped its funding suddenly.  UFO activity was negligible there, and after it signed the pact, I sent patrols there.  No base was in the UK, but another had sprung up in Germany.  I don't understand the logic sometimes.  I mean as far as I know, I've stopped anything coming close to Europe or had a mission there.

It could be there's a base in the country, or simply Alien infiltrators going there from their base by train :D

Or it could be a small cheat of the game, to give us some pressure... ^_^

Well, no complaints here, at least I didn't lose the rest of Europe yet. Besides, I like base assaults every now an then :)

Lately I've gotten myself reaquainted with each UFO type in the battlescape (I've been primarily doing supply ships or battleship missions), and I must say, I think I like the Abductor's layout over most, with maybe the Battleship second. There's just so many places to hide in an Abductor whereas the Battleship and other UFOs have a bit more semetry to their interior layouts.

Any of you guys noticed that it seems ships coming from "Space" seem to go through the South Pole in doing so?

Seems like whenever I put a radar base on the south pole, alot of ships randomly appear there. Different alien species, different missions, different sized ships.. All "Appearing" at the south pole with no base in the area.