11 replies to this topic

#1 Bagatur

Bagatur

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 12:36 PM

u can do it only if u have flying armor thouth...
i dont know maybe all of u know about it and use it extensively,
but i found it accidentally and find it very helpful :)
when u exit the skyranger - just make one step outside on the ramp, then make one step left or right( depending what side of the craft u r on) to get down - and if u fly up one space u get between the craft's hull and those things
on sides( nozzles, engines, whatever) - and u r unreachable by enemy fire!!!
at the begining of the next turn, just fly down, only 8 TUs, and u can shoot your enemies again :)
u can even step inside the craft again - through the wall!?!??!
there is 2 spotslike this on each side of the ramp - one and two steps down hte ramp and then left or right!

#2 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2002 - 12:55 PM

What if they get close and fire up at you?

#3 Bagatur

Bagatur

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 01:24 PM

well, i havent seen aliens closer to my skyranger than about 7 squares...
they can see you if they are facing your open hatch - but this way you have a nice shooting range for all your squad - who gets the critter first? :))
i am wondering if aliens are programmed to never go close to skyranger to
see what's in there :)

#4 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2002 - 01:26 PM

A friend of mine said he had a Reaper chase him into the skyranger. 2 squares wide, doh!!!!!

#5 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2002 - 01:33 PM

Has anyone ever found that cave, in the mountain terrains? That's a nice hidding place too. Actually, with a heavy plasma you can tunnel through mountains, and even the dirt squares in your base, if you tunnel through the second floor and then step into your tunnel you fall into the rock below. But it's a good technique to use at an alien base to grab the commander. Go to a facility next to the command center, go to the second floor, tunnel over (you need a flying suit), shoot through the wall and you're in. In your own base this is a last resort tactic. Tunnel in, make a zig and a zag and nab aliens as the enter one by one.

#6 Mark0

Mark0

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 01:59 PM

by cave, u mean u shoot with heavy plasma at the mountain and make the hole?
if yes, yep , uused that couple of times. :D

in bases what i do is stand in those small rooms,and wait for them to come in. NEAR LIVING QUARTERS. cause the aliens allways , AND ALLWAYS have that objective, hide in the living quarters, second floor. its liek they are programmed to do only and only that.
i allways find aliens in living quarters.

for the dirt, do u need to blast the area?? in a base its better no?then use heavy plasma and make your way :P

#7 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2002 - 02:18 PM

Nope there's an actual cave. I'd played for years before I saw it. It's in a 2x2 terrain thing.

As for bases the aliens go for radars too. They go upstairs and shoot them. If the upstairs is destroyed the facility is considered destroyed, and is removed from your base even if you win. I once had a large radar as a choke point, doh!!!! Lost everything after it which was not somehow connected to the access lift.

Perhaps they run upstairs to the quarters because you have guys there?

#8 gangsta

gangsta

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 11:36 PM

Yeah I been there before. Isn't that around england and only comes up a few times?
Posted Image

#9 Mark0

Mark0

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 12:04 AM

Nope there's an actual cave.  I'd played for years before I saw it.  It's in a 2x2 terrain thing.

As for bases the aliens go for radars too.  They go upstairs and shoot them.  If the upstairs is destroyed the facility is considered destroyed, and is removed from your base even if you win.  I once had a large radar as a choke point, doh!!!!  Lost everything after it which was not somehow connected to the access lift.

no man, my guys may be near the quarters in an other room, but i allways find 1 or 2, allways.
sometiems they come in the room im in, os they get shot.
good reactions.
ive expeerienced radars being destroyed, but i had Hyperwave so, i never noticed it was gone.

#10 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:33 AM

Yeah I been there before.  Isn't that around england and only comes up a few times?

Que?

#11 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:36 AM

Nope there's an actual cave.  I'd played for years before I saw it.  It's in a 2x2 terrain thing.

As for bases the aliens go for radars too.  They go upstairs and shoot them.  If the upstairs is destroyed the facility is considered destroyed, and is removed from your base even if you win.  I once had a large radar as a choke point, doh!!!!  Lost everything after it which was not somehow connected to the access lift.

no man, my guys may be near the quarters in an other room, but i allways find 1 or 2, allways.
sometiems they come in the room im in, os they get shot.
good reactions.
ive expeerienced radars being destroyed, but i had Hyperwave so, i never noticed it was gone.

Hey checkout the thread where I made the diagram of how I do base defense, and give it a shot. I only use 10 guys and I only recently started using that many; for years my "standard" base defense team was eight guys. Hiding upstairs should only be the last ditch thing not your actual strategy.

Anyway, I'd like some feedback about how my base defense strategy worked for other people.

#12 teukros

teukros

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:04 PM

by cave, u mean u shoot with heavy plasma at the mountain and make the hole?
if yes, yep , uused that couple of times. :D

in bases what i do is stand in those small rooms,and wait for them to come in. NEAR LIVING QUARTERS. cause the aliens allways , AND ALLWAYS have that objective, hide in the living quarters, second floor. its liek they are programmed to do only and only that.
i allways find aliens in living quarters.

for the dirt, do u need to blast the area?? in a base its better no?then use heavy plasma and make your way :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I once somehow got a rabbit-hole dug under a tree. Laser Pistol Newbie runs right into it and falls in, and then he can't move!

He spent about six turns digging a tunnel through the side of the hill with his laser pistol...
runs with primed grenades