XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Planetscape Ui Implementation

mamutas

Just a note here.

I have mentioned earlier, that the UI mechanizm the OGRE had in 0.13 (and still does in 0.14) release and which I used to write my UI creation utility is going away in the next major (0.15?) release of OGRE. It will be replaced with CrazyEddie's GUI framework. Here is the thread in OGRE forums with the news on that: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php...r=asc&start=225. Here is the latest (July 7th) demo: http://crazy-eddie.myby.co.uk/files/ogre_gui_demo7.zip.

I would advice to postpone any work on UI for now or at least start using CEGUI toolkit already.

Edit: and, yeah, the news about the progress are regurlarly posted on www.ogre3d.org.

Edited by mamutas

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I checked that topic and most of the stuff in there is greek to me but it sounded like they were nearly done with it. Unless one of you programming guys are convinced we can't start I want to get familiar with using the CEGUI toolkit.

As far as I know (I have because of lots of work a little disconnected from the OGRE community) CEGUI uses XML (what is very good) so it shouldnt be too difficult to get started, in fact our XML guru ;) Rusted Soul could give you guys a hand.

So the answer is first take a look at the feasibility (programming wise) of using CEGUI and contact me. Artists can start to define the components sizes in relative units (normalized in [0..1] ). If you need I can code in Java a simple app to do the calculation for you instead of using a calculator. Just let me know. And our Java UI guru (mamutas can give me a head start ;) :P ).

Greetings

Red Knight

As far as I know (I have because of lots of work a little disconnected from the OGRE community) CEGUI uses XML (what is very good) so it shouldnt be too difficult to get started, in fact our XML guru ;) Rusted Soul could give you guys a hand.

So the answer is first take a look at the feasibility (programming wise) of using CEGUI and contact me. Artists can start to define the components sizes in relative units (normalized in [0..1] ). If you need I can code in Java a simple app to do the calculation for you instead of using a calculator. Just let me know. And our Java UI guru (mamutas can give me a head start ;) :P ).

Greetings

Red Knight

Programming (centurion) has it's marching orders then. Look into CEGUI and determine the feisibility of starting GUI implementation now.

xml guru? LOL when did that happen :Blush:

i'm kinda freelancing around the forums atm, even got half an cow model done :P will have to register milkshape with the credit card i don't have yet (3rd times a charm :rolleyes: ) before i can complete it.

so if there is something i can do here as far as xml goes, then i can only try.

upto you fellaz, the offer is there if you want it.

Marching on then, as soon as I can get the source (CVS Browse says "Bad Gateway\nThe proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.", and CE's site has downloadables with size 0).

edit: after taking a look at the provided demo, I'd say it's intuitive enough for me.

edit2: (redundant)

Edited by centurion

hmmm i think i'll help in the programming bit. i've been checking the demo of the CEGUI (it's the only way to learn how CEGUI works) and it seems simple enough for me to fiddle around with :)

only problem i find is that it includes a file which i don't know where to get: "boost/bind.hpp". anyone knows where i can get it?

only problem i find is that it includes a file which i don't know where to get: "boost/bind.hpp". anyone knows where i can get it?

www.boost.org has it and the rest of the boost package.

Ok, now I have got the CEGUI source, it won't compile without freetype219MTVC6_D.lib; when I plug freetype219ST_D.lib instead, compiled from the freetype source, it misses libboost_signals-vc6-mt-gdp-1_31.lib.

am i the only programmer that is annoyed by the fact that i have to keep adding include lines to MSVC++ so that new projects find their stuff? i mean, shouldn't stuff already know where to find such stuff?

i've also grown the habit of googling files that are needed for compiling and downloading them (CEGUI seems to need the xerces library too, currently being downloaded) instead of just asking you guys. another step in becoming a programmer i guess :P

ok, after getting lots of libraries that the CEGUI needs, there's one i can't find: 'libboost_signals-vc71-mt-gd-1_31.lib'

where do i get it? i've looked in www.boost.org (if it's related) but can't find it (or a project that builds it)

You have to compile the multithreaded version of boost, or at least from the signals package.

Greetings

Red Knight

but how do i compile boost into a library? i can't find any project files or whatever, just loads of CPP and H files.

and... how do i know if my version is multithreaded, whatever that is? :wacko:

There is a command-line script for it, read the readme that comes with Boost. Takes time, but works.

thx. funny how setting the variable of where Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 was took more time than the actual build :P

anyways, now i've reached a similiar error to yours when building CEGUI:

CEGUIBase error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall boost::signals::detail::signal_base::signal_base(class boost::function2 > const &,class boost::any const &)" (??0signal_base@detail@signals@boost@@QAE@ABV?$function2@_NVany@boost@@V12@V?$allocator@Vfunction_base@boost@@@std@@@3@ABVany@3@@Z)

CEGUIBase error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall boost::signals::detail::signal_base::signal_base(class boost::function2 > const &,class boost::any const &)" (??0signal_base@detail@signals@boost@@QAE@ABV?$function2@_NVany@boost@@V12@V?$allocator@Vfunction_base@boost@@@std@@@3@ABVany@3@@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall boost::signal1,int,struct std::less,class boost::function1 > >::signal1,int,struct std::less,class boost::function1 > >(struct boost::last_value const &,struct std::less const &)" (??0?$signal1@XABVEventArgs@CEGUI@@U?$last_value@X@boost@@HU?$less@H@std@@V?$function1@XABVEventArgs@CEGUI@@V?$allocator@Vfunction_base@boost@@@std@@@4@@boost@@QAE@ABU?$last_value@X@1@ABU?$less@H@std@@@Z)

CEGUIBase fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

edit: put it all in a quote box to keep it tidy :)

Edited by SupSuper

Heh, if you use the dependencies that are posted on CE's site (IIRC) and don't put self-compiled libs in the path, CEGUIBase compiles! :happybanana:

:hammer:

:stupid:

edit: well, there are references to OGRE stuff that's not covered in 0.14.1 (in other projects), so I guess it would be wiser to wait for 0.15 to come out and do this work instead of us.

Edited by centurion

Heh, if you use the dependencies that are posted on CE's site (IIRC) and don't put self-compiled libs in the path, CEGUIBase compiles!  :happybanana:

edit: well, there are references to OGRE stuff that's not covered in 0.14.1 (in other projects), so I guess it would be wiser to wait for 0.15 to come out and do this work instead of us.

I checked the Ogre page and the .plan files it looks like there are only a few small things left until they release .15 IIRC they plan to do this by the end of august which shouldn't be to far away unless they miss the deadline.

sooo progammers, in your opinion is ther anything more you can do to learn this or begin making overlays? I can start slicing anytime.

Heh, if you use the dependencies that are posted on CE's site (IIRC) and don't put self-compiled libs in the path, CEGUIBase compiles!  :happybanana:

thx it works for me too now :)

hmmm... there's a post in the CEGUI forum that states that it uses a StringUtil class that exists in the CVS version of OGRE and wasn't put in the 0.4.1 version that's downloadable. unfortunately there seems to be something wrong with Sourceforge, CVS doesn't work so i can't get Ogre's CVS :(

edit: found the post. there's a workaround over the problem it seems :)

You'll need to use the cvs version of Ogre (not 14.0 or 14.1) to get the StringUtil class. The change was made but was not put in the stable release. In summary, you'll need to pick up the latest version of Ogre (from cvs snapshot not stable release)

or

If you want to use 14.1, then simply define CEGUI_USEOLDOGRESTRING in your project settings (if using Visual Studio), or make a #define in your include files. i.e.

Edited by SupSuper

sooo progammers, in your opinion is ther anything more you can do to learn this or begin making overlays? I can start slicing anytime.

Then start slicing now, for it will be the Art Dept's job to write the configuration XML files :devillaugh: (now really, if you want us to do it, it would be nice to have something concrete to play around with).

SupSuper: thanks, now only IrrlichtRenderer misses a header (completely, nowhere to be found), which is not a problem, and OgreRenderer wants OgreMain_d.lib, which may be a problem (judging from the name, is it the version under development? if yes, we can forget it until 0.15 is out or Sourceforge CVS is up)

edit: and the demo still doesn't compile, 2 unresolved external references (OGRE::MemoryManager::alloc and dlloc) :cussing:

Edited by centurion

Then start slicing now, for it will be the Art Dept's job to write the configuration XML files :devillaugh: (now really, if you want us to do it, it would be nice to have something concrete to play around with).

SupSuper: thanks, now only IrrlichtRenderer misses a header (completely, nowhere to be found), which is not a problem, and OgreRenderer wants OgreMain_d.lib, which may be a problem (judging from the name, is it the version under development? if yes, we can forget it until 0.15 is out or Sourceforge CVS is up)

edit: and the demo still doesn't compile, 2 unresolved external references (OGRE::MemoryManager::alloc and dlloc) :cussing:

Ok I'll see about getting you folks something concrete. Depends on how complicated the xml files are as to whether art can do it.

Ok I'll see about getting you folks something concrete. Depends on how complicated the xml files are as to whether art can do it.

the xml files are pretty simple. download the demo here to see what it should be like. i take it we're supposed to start off by reproducing the initial geoscape screen (the one with the globe on the left).

exactly what i get :( Edited by SupSuper

Here are some files that should help with the concrete part. the jpg shows what it should look like when assembled.

you have 3 pngs in the zip as well they are the menu background and the button normal and highlighted versions. We can add graphic rollovers for the scrollbar, time buttons and planetview controls later.

supsuper: correct geoscape first then onto xnet. Geoscape should be pretty strightforward and easy to finish. we can add functionality for the intercept panels and such later, again not too hard.

I'll include a jpg of the final look as well as any graphics needed to do it.

Geoscape.zip

Here are some files that should help with the concrete part. the jpg shows what it should look like when assembled.

you have 3 pngs in the zip as well they are the menu background and the button normal and highlighted versions. We can add graphic rollovers for the scrollbar, time buttons  and planetview controls later.

supsuper: correct geoscape first then onto xnet. Geoscape should be pretty strightforward and easy to finish. we can add functionality for the intercept panels and such later, again not too hard.

I'll include a jpg of the final look as well as any graphics needed to do it.

thx, i'll see what i can do with it.

centurion: i've found out how to compile the OgreGUIRenderer of CEGUI. just rename OGRE's Debug library (in ogrenew\OgreMain\lib\Debug) from OgreMain.lib to OgreMain_d.lib.

by renamaing other files, i got the Demo to compile :)

centurion: i've found out how to compile the OgreGUIRenderer of CEGUI. just rename OGRE's Debug library (in ogrenew\OgreMain\lib\Debug) from OgreMain.lib to OgreMain_d.lib.

It says:

warning: STLPort debug versions are built with /D_STLP_DEBUG=1

c:\vc98\include\boost\config\auto_link.hpp(165) : fatal error C1189: #error : "Build options aren't compatible with pre-built libraries"

It says:

warning: STLPort debug versions are built with /D_STLP_DEBUG=1

c:\vc98\include\boost\config\auto_link.hpp(165) : fatal error C1189: #error : "Build options aren't compatible with pre-built libraries"

it worked fine for me :huh:

but the demo still needed some other libraries and renaming the ones that looked like them just screwed up the demo (either that or the OgreMain_d.lib renaming).

anyways, i'll go ask about all of this in the CEGUI forums, they should help :)

ok, this is the reply i got from CEGUI forums:

The OgreMain_d.lib is a for a post 0.14.x change, for earlier versions all you need to do is edit the project link settings and change the name to OgreMain.lib.  You'll also need to #define CEGUI_USEOLDOGRESTRING for that project, since the Ogre guys made a breaking change with regards to their string, so I have to have this option in there to remain compatible with both possibilities.

The other errors are because I stupidly forgot to remove all the Lua stuff I was testing from the demo source and project :Blush: .  You can safely delete all this lua related stuff and the demo will compile and run.

HTH

CE.

hopefully this should fix your problem, it fixed mine :)

now that i built the demo it doesn't work right so i'll go ask them about that too.

edit: yay i managed to get the latest ogre from the CVS :)

Edited by SupSuper

Thanks, it helped. After

c:\xenocide\ogre\ogrenew\stlport-4.6.1\stlport\stl\_pair.h(48) : fatal error C1076: compiler limit : internal heap limit reached; use /Zm to specify a higher limit

and some additional VC7->VC6 meddling compiled demo7 w/o errors :crazy:

Cannot whip the executable to work though, will need OgreRenderer for that. Maybe with the CVS version of OGRE ...

edit: made OgreRenderer to compile by replacing the

edit2: compiled demo produces 'Abnormal program termination'.

Edited by centurion

yes, i just got the latest Ogre CVS and have no problems with it.

btw, another note about the demo:

This is mentioned somewhere on the front page, and in a load of other postings here.

The problem is that things have been updated since those demos were released, and you need some updated files.

Copy all the files from cegui_mk2/XMLRefSchema over the to of the ones in the demo directory.

Download ----->THIS

CE.

if the demo still doesn't work after that (it works fine for me now), try getting the latest Ogre CVS or post about it on the CEGUI forum.

SupSuper: the given link is a 404.

I'll get the OGRE snapshot, as CVS is acting up with the update (tells me there are conflicts when I ask for a clean copy :wacko: ).

Make sure to do a checkout on a new directory if it makes you trouble. BTW If you use the program that I had posted done in Java, you can have several versions of OGRE run on the same machine ;) without changes to the solution.

Greetings

Red Knight

Same problem with the brand new OGRE :cussing:

Guess I'll just try to build up something with CEGUI and see where is the breaking point.

SupSuper: the given link is a 404.

it seems CrazyEddie made a mistake. correct link is http://crazy-eddie.myby.co.uk/files/TaharezImageset.zip

edit: btw, the demo also needs some DLLs which don't get copied when you build the demo. to fix that just add this line to the post_script.bat file in the demo folder:

copy ..\cegui_mk2\dependencies\lib\*.dll %3

Edited by SupSuper

The executable exits before opening the OGRE configuration dialog box, so I guess those files have nothing to do with it (btw put those .xsd's everywhere I could and updated the imageset); debug says

Loaded 'ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\user32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\advapi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\rpcrt4.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded symbols for 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\CEGUIBase.dll'

Loaded 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\xerces-c_2_5_0D.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded symbols for 'C:\windows\system32\MSVCRTD.DLL'

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\stlport_vc6_stldebug46.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded symbols for 'C:\windows\system32\MSVCP60D.DLL'

Loaded 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\OgreMain_d.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\stlport_vc646.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\msvcp60.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\msvcrt.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\devil.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\ilu.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded symbols for 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\OgreGUIRenderer.dll'

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\lpk.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\usp10.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded symbols for 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\OgrePlatform.dll'

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\dinput8.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded symbols for 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\RenderSystem_Direct3D7.dll'

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\ddraw.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\dciman32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\d3dim700.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded symbols for 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\RenderSystem_Direct3D9.dll'

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\d3d9.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\d3d8thk.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\version.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\winmm.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded symbols for 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\RenderSystem_GL.dll'

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\opengl32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\glu32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded symbols for 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\Plugin_FileSystem.dll'

Loaded symbols for 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\Plugin_GuiElements.dll'

Loaded symbols for 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\Plugin_CgProgramManager.dll'

Loaded 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\cg.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

..\\stlport\stl/debug/_debug.c(464): STL error: Iterators used in expression are from different owners

C:\XENOCIDE\OGRE\OGRENEW\STLPORT-4.6.1\STLPORT\stl/debug/_iterator.h(341): STL assertion failure : __check_same_owner_or_null(__x, __y)

Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\msctf.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Loaded 'C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\2.bin\MWSOESTB.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.

The thread 0x538 has exited with code 3 (0x3).

The program 'C:\xenocide\ogre\ogre_gui_demo7\Debug\CEGUIOgre_TestDriver1.exe' has exited with code 3 (0x3).

and on exit spits out code that I cannot parse through in ages.

Mhhh what is pretty strange centurion is the following, you are debugging and you are not getting debug information (as the compiler couldnt find symbolic information), that is not a good signal as you are using OGRE Debug version.

Where you able to get inside the first line of the program (breakpoint in it) before the OGRE root is created??.

Greetings

Red Knight

The main class instance gets created, will post when I'll know where is the problem exactly.

edit: it's with loading the resources.cfg :blink: . Will investigate further later...

edit2: *is stupid*

edit3: compiled the SkyDome demo, got the attached screenshot; is this what you get, people with CVS version OGRE?

In the CEGUI demo, the problem is

[...]

ConfigFile::SettingsIterator i = cf.getSettingsIterator();

String typeName, archName;

HERE      while (i.hasMoreElements())

{

typeName = i.peekNextKey();

archName = i.getNext();

ResourceManager::addCommonArchiveEx( archName, typeName );

}

[...]

The iterator seems to be corrupted; why, I have no idea. With the model viewer, I can compile it and get to the config dialog, but not further, with the problem being an overlay->show().

screenshot_1.jpg

Edited by centurion

I've never have big troubles with the CVS version, except when using not yet finished features... Notheless I was using the latest version of the compiler that didnt need STLPort to work. You should investigate how to use the new .Net free compiler inside your IDE and ditch STLPort.

That looks like very bad, and if iterators are wrong something is going on with your STL Implementation.

Greetings

Red Knight

Hi guys, I'm just getting into the Planetscape UI team as a programmer too. I've been trying to compile the CEGUI library, but it looks like it needs some Xerces files. But all the Xerces files I've downloaded are for Java, and I couldn't find any that can be used for C++. Can anyone point me to the correct place to get the necessary files?

Thanks.

Hymie

Hello guys ;) - finally I am back...

I've been quite busy in the last weeks... and I'm really sorry, that I only had very little spare time. I couldn't ever imagine, how much work moving to another city would be, if I hadn't tried it. But now there remain only a few things to do, and I am happy that I have it behind me.

It will take some time to get an overview of what happened in my absence...

Happy to be back on line,

spu7nic aka "the mad crate tractor" :blink:

P.S.: I'll try to stay in IRC as often as possible.

Edited by spu7nic

Hi guys, I'm just getting into the Planetscape UI team as a programmer too.  I've been trying to compile the CEGUI library, but it looks like it needs some Xerces files.  But all the Xerces files I've downloaded are for Java, and I couldn't find any that can be used for C++.  Can anyone point me to the correct place to get the necessary files?

Thanks.

Hymie

This is where all the right links are, and I see Xerces for VC7 there.

Now, this strangely links with my problem, as I had to rebuild boost (d'oh, do you know that the toolkit's vcvars32.bat uses the default and not the actual location of the toolkit?) to work with the toolkit; unfortunately, the demo still has problems:

CEGUIOgre_TestDriver1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) private: void * __thiscall Ogre::MemoryManager::op_new_sc(unsigned int,unsigned int)" (__imp_?op_new_sc@MemoryManager@Ogre@@AAEPAXII@Z) referenced in function "void * __cdecl operator new(unsigned int)" (??2@YAPAXI@Z)

CEGUIOgre_TestDriver1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) private: unsigned int __thiscall Ogre::MemoryManager::_getProcessID (void)" (__imp_?_getProcessID@MemoryManager@Ogre@@AAEIXZ) referenced in function "void * __cdecl operator new(unsigned int)" (??2@YAPAXI@Z)

CEGUIOgre_TestDriver1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class Ogre::MemoryManager Ogre::MemoryManager::sMemManager" (__imp_sMemManager@MemoryManager@Ogre@@2V12@A) referenced in function "void * __cdecl operator new(unsigned int)" (??2@YAPAXI@Z)

CEGUIOgre_TestDriver1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __RTC_CheckEsp referenced in function "void * __cdecl operator new(unsigned int)" (??2@YAPAXI@Z)

CEGUIOgre_TestDriver1.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __RTC_Shutdown

CEGUIOgre_TestDriver1.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __RTC_InitBase

CEGUIOgre_TestDriver1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) private: void __thiscall Ogre::MemoryManager::op_del_sc(void *,unsigned int)" (__imp_op_del_sc@MemoryManager@Ogre@@AAEXPAXI@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl operator delete(void *)" (??3@YAXPAX@Z)

... and on, and on, 221 unresolved external references.

Edited by centurion