XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Confused By The Winxp Thingy

Guest demon_surfer

Guest demon_surfer

Ok so i just dusted off my old Xcom Apocolypse CD and threw it in the drive.

Of course it didnt work.. i went and grabbed DOSbox and it now installed and has sound but all it will do is play the Intro movie extremely slowly then dump me back to the prompt.

I had a look at the link you guys all point at for the first port of call but im a little uncertain because it seems to point to a version that is Downloaded.

Can anyone fill me in on how to apply those instructions to my CD version? id really appreciate it!

Of course it didnt work.. i went and grabbed DOSbox and it now installed and has sound but all it will do is play the Intro movie extremely slowly then dump me back to the prompt.

I had a look at the link you guys all point at for the first port of call but im a little uncertain because it seems to point to a version that is Downloaded.

Can anyone fill me in on how to apply those instructions to my CD version? id really appreciate it!

I have just got this game going again today!!!

I did a complete install from my CD and then followed the instructions as outlined in this thread;

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=841

There was also some additional tweaking, and help from Azrael which I had to do outlined in this thread;

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8722

My game runs fine without DosBox and you can enable full screen as per the instructions.

I have managed to get the game running in DosBox, sounds are working but no music. To speed it up once you are in DosBox hit Ctrl & F12 together a number of times to this will speed up the CPU cycles, keep hitting those keys until the CPU cycles reads 13000, displayed at the top of DosBox.

Hope this helps.

i already read the first thread =/

if your saying it does work from the CD then i guess ill just follow along through the instructions as best i can.

thanks!

Guest demon_surfer

no dice!

I followed all the instructions but it still wont work.

The best i made it do was to run the movie with no sound.. and it only did that once =/

Guest demon_surfer

I tired doing the right click and run with VDM thing the guy in one of the link posts suggested and the sound DID work..however its still hanging up after the movie..

im going to try the SVGA fix and see if that helps.

Hmmm ok i did some of the tweaks in the main sites list and it works now.

No movie but i can deal with that =)

However..the mouse moves excrutiatingly slow and im wondering if there is any way to tweak it?

Never mind! i took the command line that the readme told me to add to a different bat and put them into the one i had made work for the VDMsound and it worked perfectly.

It was probably what i was supposed to do all along but didnt get.

hmm would i be able to make the movie play at the start if i removed the fakeCD part?

Edited by demon_surfer

Hmmm ok i did some of the tweaks in the main sites list and it works now.

No movie but i can deal with that =)

However..the mouse moves excrutiatingly slow and im wondering if there is any way to tweak it?

Never mind! i took the command line that the readme told me to add to a different bat and put them into the one i had made work for the VDMsound and it worked perfectly.

It was probably what i was supposed to do all along but didnt get.

hmm would i be able to make the movie play at the start if i removed the fakeCD part?

fakeCD?

err the xcom3crk i think put it there.

thats just the word in the bat file 0_o

here

@echo off

fakecd .. /L:D >nul

xcom3_cd.com

dosdrv

mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 xcomapoc.exe

xcomapoc.exe SKIP

rem Uninstall process

xcom3_cd.com

fakecd /U >nul

mode co80

cls

echo.

echo X-COM3 Apocalypse from Alex-God.

echo Don't forget Microprose Corporation...

pause

• 2 weeks later...

Press control F12 until the number at the top says 13000 (dosbox)

Edited by Mustang